Old 07-02-2009, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bird box + camera

As this subject has been previously raised in this group, Aldi are
selling bird nest boxes with an inbuilt camera for £40 on Sunday.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...d=2009-02-06-1
5-49

I would guess the camera to be of 'adequate' quality and 'built to a
price' so don't expect high definition pictures . It only has an
analogue TV output signal (S video) that can be connected directly in to
a suitable SCART socket on a TV. It would need an additional video
capture card in a computer to distribute the pictures over the Internet.

If you have never used an Aldi store before....

Popular special offers often sell out soon after the store opens on the
first day when they are available (in this case on Sunday). Once it's
gone - it's gone - there will be no more deliveries. Sometimes a special
offer doesn't get delivered to all stores.

They don't take credit cards. Debit cards (chip and pin) or cash only
(probably no cheques).

No free bags - bring your own or expect to pay (assuming that they have
any stock of carrier bags).

No packing of bags at checkout. Everything goes back into the trolley
which you then take to the 'packing area' with shelves or to your car.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 07-02-2009, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 7 Feb, 09:56, Alan wrote:
[...]

Dont knock Aldi they are good, Who needs free bags, you should have
enoughto be able to pack your shopping, that is as long as your memory
alows you to put them into the car.
Re the nest box camera the only snag I can see is that it looks as if
it is conected to your computer by wire, but I could be wrong, I'll be
looking tomorrow.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 07-02-2009, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 09:56:28 +0000, Alan wrote:

[...]

Both Aldi and Lidl now accept credit cards.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Science and sound engineering will always prevail in the end
"for nature cannot be fooled" [Feynman]
Old 07-02-2009, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rick... (The other Rick)" wrote in message
[...]

The trick at Lidl and aldi is to grab an empty box out of the veg area, or
from one of the BIG cardboard boxen on pallets that they put the smaller
boxen in. At the checkout it's too late to be thinking about a box.

And yes, the good stuff does sell out early. I got my compressor at 0815, by
0900 they were gone, as were the air tools.

I hope someone here will notice and post when they're doing cordless or
petrol strimmers.

Steve

Old 07-02-2009, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Hill wrote

Dont knock Aldi they are good, Who needs free bags, you should have
enoughto be able to pack your shopping, that is as long as your memory
alows you to put them into the car.

I wasn't knocking Aldi. I like the way they run the checkouts so much in
fact that when using other leading supermarkets I always note how slow
they can be especially when you have someone in front who insists on
continuing to pack bags when the cashier is waiting for the money. And
don't get me going on transacting those bits of paper for loyalty and
the 0.01p vouchers to buy computers or sports gear.

Re the nest box camera the only snag I can see is that it looks as if
it is conected to your computer by wire, but I could be wrong, I'll be
looking tomorrow.

Yes it is 30 meters of wire which appears to carry power to the camera
and an analogue video back to your TV.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , shazzbat
wrote

I hope someone here will notice and post when they're doing cordless or
petrol strimmers.

Sign up for their junk email They will send the electronic form of
the in-store 'special offer' newsletter twice a week. Subscribe to the
newsletter until it comes along and then un-subscribe. Often you will
find that if Aldi doesn't have a gardening offer that Lidl will. They
seem to co-ordinate their offers so both stores don't have the same type
of offer at the same time. Lidl also have a email newsletter sent twice
a week.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
wrote

Wouldn't a wifi webcam be a better solution?

Yes, but at what cost and with big battery at the camera end?

If you shop around you could find colour wi-fi web cam for around £60 or
another type of suitable 'bird box' type of colour camera (with night
time LED illumination etc.) and a 2G wireless link for around £30/£40.

Once you add the wireless transmission bit to the camera it needs 1 to
2W of power. As the bird box is likely to be remote from your mains
power you will either have to run a power cable to it or else provide a
local source of power such as a car battery, which will have to charged
on a regular basis.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , shazzbat
wrote

I hope someone here will notice and post when they're doing cordless or
petrol strimmers.

Sign up for their junk email They will send the electronic form of the
in-store 'special offer' newsletter twice a week. Subscribe to the
newsletter until it comes along and then un-subscribe.

No way. I get quite enough spam already thanks. The trouble with signing up
for that sort of stuff is they take it as a licence to also send you
everything else they ever think of, and put you on a database so everyone
else can too. I check their sites when I remember/when I have time at the
relevant time, but can't always.

Steve

Old 07-02-2009, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan wrote:
As this subject has been previously raised in this group, Aldi are
selling bird nest boxes with an inbuilt camera for £40 on Sunday.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...d=2009-02-06-1
5-49

I would guess the camera to be of 'adequate' quality and 'built to a
price' so don't expect high definition pictures . It only has an
analogue TV output signal (S video) that can be connected directly in
to a suitable SCART socket on a TV. It would need an additional video
capture card in a computer to distribute the pictures over the
Internet.

I might give that a whirl. I guess I could feed the signal to my DVD
recorder?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 07-02-2009, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rick... (The other Rick) wrote:

Both Aldi and Lidl now accept credit cards.

Aldi wouldn't accept mine ten days ago.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote

[...]

I must admit to being more interested in the Spotting Scope, can't be any
good at that price can it? It's toy priced.

Find binoculars difficult so tend to use a Monocular, a Spotting Scope would
be one better and it's a very cheap way to find out if you can get on with
one.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-02-2009, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris J Dixon
wrote
Rick... (The other Rick) wrote:

Both Aldi and Lidl now accept credit cards.

Aldi wouldn't accept mine ten days ago.

Possibly a confusion between chip and pin (debit) cards and credit
cards. Some debit cards may carry the same brand names as credit cards,
Visa for instance.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

I must admit to being more interested in the Spotting Scope, can't be any
good at that price can it? It's toy priced.

Find binoculars difficult so tend to use a Monocular, a Spotting Scope
would be one better and it's a very cheap way to find out if you can get
on with one.

--

Pity there is no way of attaching a still camera to it though.
It would really be a bargain then !

Old 07-02-2009, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message

Possibly a confusion between chip and pin (debit) cards and credit cards.
Some debit cards may carry the same brand names as credit cards, Visa for
instance.

I think you are incorrect on this.
Visa is a credit card facility and as such the Visa symbol would never
appear on a debit card.

Chris is correct - Aldi and Lidl will only accept debit cards that debit
your bank account PDQ !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 07-02-2009, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HI Pete

Pete Stockdale wrote:
"Alan" wrote in message

Possibly a confusion between chip and pin (debit) cards and credit cards.
Some debit cards may carry the same brand names as credit cards, Visa for
instance.

I think you are incorrect on this.
Visa is a credit card facility and as such the Visa symbol would never
appear on a debit card.

I've got a Barclays Connect Debit card sitting in front of me -
has a Visa logo in the bottom right-hand corner....

....doesn't stop Barclays being a bunch of total wazzocks, mind g

Adrian