Old 23-02-2009, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Toads

The fishponds are absolutely heaving with frogs and there's a lot of spawn
laid already. I haven't seen any toadspawn yet. How about anyone else?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-02-2009, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
The fishponds are absolutely heaving with frogs and there's a lot of spawn
laid already. I haven't seen any toadspawn yet. How about anyone else?

Funny thing is we haven't see or heard a frog lately yet I did hear one
around Christmas.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-02-2009, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
The fishponds are absolutely heaving with frogs and there's a lot of spawn
laid already. I haven't seen any toadspawn yet. How about anyone else?

Early for toads - they lay later than frogs.

--
Kay
Old 23-02-2009, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes

"Sacha" wrote
The fishponds are absolutely heaving with frogs and there's a lot of spawn
laid already. I haven't seen any toadspawn yet. How about anyone else?

Funny thing is we haven't see or heard a frog lately yet I did hear one
around Christmas.

The first of ours arrived in the breeding pond last night, though I came
across one or two in the 'summer' pond back in January. Apparently some
frogs overwinter in the mud at the bottom of ponds, others elsewhere.
Overwintering in the pond gives a head start when the early females
arrive, but presumably also a downside if the pond gets too foul if it's
under ice for a long period - in which case overwintering elsewhere
gives an advantage.
--
Kay
Old 23-02-2009, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
news
Bob Hobden writes

"Sacha" wrote
The fishponds are absolutely heaving with frogs and there's a lot of
spawn
laid already. I haven't seen any toadspawn yet. How about anyone else?

Funny thing is we haven't see or heard a frog lately yet I did hear one
around Christmas.

The first of ours arrived in the breeding pond last night, though I came
across one or two in the 'summer' pond back in January. Apparently some
frogs overwinter in the mud at the bottom of ponds, others elsewhere.
Overwintering in the pond gives a head start when the early females
arrive, but presumably also a downside if the pond gets too foul if it's
under ice for a long period - in which case overwintering elsewhere gives
an advantage.
--
Kay

Fished a dead frog out of one pond this afternoon, The pond was frozen over
for quite some time during the last cold spell so suspect it may have been
starved of oxygen, water is really dank and black since it thawed out.
Great shame.

Old 23-02-2009, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Early for toads - they lay later than frogs.

Now THAT depends where you are on the globe!

It's like saying a before b
or
whatever

Sweeping statements are "misleading"

Part_No
Old 23-02-2009, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
The fishponds are absolutely heaving with frogs and there's a lot of spawn
laid already. I haven't seen any toadspawn yet. How about anyone else?

Toadspawn (and I don't mean the labour govt!) generally comes a couple
of weeks after that of the frogs.

If you've fish in the pond then you will need to "fish" the toad spawn
out because it's poisonous.

Toadspawn is recognisable for being in a longthread. And it's
a burden to get out because the knot of toads go round
and round every plant in their extended orgy.

Old 23-02-2009, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Part_No writes

Early for toads - they lay later than frogs.

Now THAT depends where you are on the globe!

It's like saying a before b
or
whatever

Sweeping statements are "misleading"

This is uk.rec.gardening, which is about gardening in the uk. It is
therefore not necessary to prefix every statement with "in the uk".

However, to clarify for those who may be under the misapprehension I was
talking about Africa:

"February is early to find spawn of Bufo bufo in the UK. In the UK Bufo
bufo spawns in March and early April, compared with Rana temporaria,
which spawns between January and March".
--
Kay
Old 23-02-2009, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Part_No wrote:
Early for toads - they lay later than frogs.

Now THAT depends where you are on the globe!

Err, UK? (group name gives a clue)

Generally we find the toads are about 3 to 4 weeks later than the frogs.
Usually frogs end of Feb (loads this year), toads end of March.

Jeff
NE England
Old 23-02-2009, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cineman" wrote in message

wrote in message
news
Bob Hobden writes

"Sacha" wrote
[...]

We've got frog spawn and more frogs trying to lay this afternoon until I
accidentally spooked a couple. The ponds at the Woodside Animal Sanctuary
seem to be moving with the mass of frogs or toads in the mud.

Old 24-02-2009, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/2/09 18:26, in article , "David
"Jamey" James" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
The fishponds are absolutely heaving with frogs and there's a lot of spawn
laid already. I haven't seen any toadspawn yet. How about anyone else?

Toadspawn (and I don't mean the labour govt!) generally comes a couple
of weeks after that of the frogs.

If you've fish in the pond then you will need to "fish" the toad spawn
out because it's poisonous.

Toadspawn is recognisable for being in a longthread. And it's
a burden to get out because the knot of toads go round
and round every plant in their extended orgy.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the idea that toad spawn is poisonous. We
have dozens of fish in two of the ponds and one of them has been in situ -
toads and all - for fifty-odd years. The fish don't seem to come to any
harm at all, so I'm a bit puzzled by that one.

Old 24-02-2009, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff wrote in news:dICol.18122$OT2.16593
@newsfe29.ams2:

Part_No wrote:
Early for toads - they lay later than frogs.

Now THAT depends where you are on the globe!

Err, UK? (group name gives a clue)

Err, is it not a fact that the UK is on our globe.

Also we get some of the more exotiic varieties from elsewhere on the globe
and they come to us via birds (carryng spawn) which visit other continents.

How these spawns survive in our (UK) climate is not certain, but they do!

Err, it also says gardening NOT gardens (group name gives a clue)

Generally we find the toads are about 3 to 4 weeks later than the frogs.
Usually frogs end of Feb (loads this year), toads end of March.

Generally is untrue......sometimes is more accurate

If you are saying that frogs and toads are indigenous to our UK, then you
may be wrong.....

Take care
Part_No

Old 24-02-2009, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I'm having a bit of trouble with the idea that toad spawn is
poisonous. We have dozens of fish in two of the ponds and one of them
has been in situ - toads and all - for fifty-odd years. The fish
don't seem to come to any harm at all, so I'm a bit puzzled by that
one.

If you read the thread earlier it can maybe explain the question of poison
cos of imports from birds etc.

Part_No

Toads...and the #1 reason i like toads is..... jammer Ponds 2 29-04-2004 12:05 AM
Toads, toads, and more toads.... Szpond Ponds 18 20-06-2003 03:35 PM
Wanted to see tads turn to toads, dang it! jammer Ponds 9 15-06-2003 12:32 AM
Toads Pamcel United Kingdom 4 29-03-2003 11:44 AM
toads in MD [email protected] Ponds 8 11-03-2003 12:48 AM