Old 06-03-2009, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Duck weed and frogs

Any chance that frogs and/or tadpoles eat duckweed?!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-03-2009, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Not sure about frogs but I know that fish eat a small amount of duck weed as
I read somewhere people grow it in jars as a treat...

Donna

Old 06-03-2009, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/3/09 17:55, in article , "Donna UK"
wrote:

Not sure about frogs but I know that fish eat a small amount of duck weed as
I read somewhere people grow it in jars as a treat...

Donna

Ah, now that's interesting. The pond with no fish is the worst affected,
the pond with a few fish has some duckweed and the pond with loads of fish
has none. Thank you, Donna. The only problem is that we want to keep one
pond fish free so that other wildllife are safe from their predations. Life
is full of decisions!

Old 06-03-2009, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Any chance that frogs and/or tadpoles eat duckweed?!

Something must eat it because it will not spread on my pond stays at one
end and that's the end the frogs use to lay their spawn, but its most
likely cover rather than food supply.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 06-03-2009, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 6, 5:26*pm, Sacha wrote:
Any chance that frogs and/or tadpoles eat duckweed?!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Straw will clear it. Don't know about Frogs though.

Judith

Old 06-03-2009, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
Any chance that frogs and/or tadpoles eat duckweed?!

It's taken me years to get rid of the stuff on our pond, had to buy a
skimmer (Oase SwimSkim) in the end and that has worked so far. Never seen
any of our fish eat it, indeed when they gulp down a mouthful of pellets and
accidentally get some Duckweed too they spit it out.
Maybe it's not carp that eat it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-03-2009, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, Bob Hobden wrote

"Sacha" wrote
Any chance that frogs and/or tadpoles eat duckweed?!

It's taken me years to get rid of the stuff on our pond, had to buy a
skimmer (Oase SwimSkim) in the end and that has worked so far. Never seen
any of our fish eat it, indeed when they gulp down a mouthful of pellets and
accidentally get some Duckweed too they spit it out.
Maybe it's not carp that eat it.

Well it's not frogs either, or water snails, both of which are plentiful
in our tiny pond in France. I even saw a water snake basking in it,
resting on a cushion of duckweed. I wish I could find something that
would eat it - what fish might?

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally
Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kate Brown wrote:
On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, Bob Hobden wrote

"Sacha" wrote
Any chance that frogs and/or tadpoles eat duckweed?!

It's taken me years to get rid of the stuff on our pond, had to buy a
skimmer (Oase SwimSkim) in the end and that has worked so far. Never
seen any of our fish eat it, indeed when they gulp down a mouthful
of pellets and accidentally get some Duckweed too they spit it out.
Maybe it's not carp that eat it.

Well it's not frogs either, or water snails, both of which are
plentiful in our tiny pond in France. I even saw a water snake
basking in it, resting on a cushion of duckweed. I wish I could find
something that would eat it - what fish might?

Koi and Grass Carp
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 06-03-2009, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote ...
Kate Brown wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote
"Sacha" wrote
Any chance that frogs and/or tadpoles eat duckweed?!

It's taken me years to get rid of the stuff on our pond, had to buy a
skimmer (Oase SwimSkim) in the end and that has worked so far. Never
seen any of our fish eat it, indeed when they gulp down a mouthful
of pellets and accidentally get some Duckweed too they spit it out.
Maybe it's not carp that eat it.

Well it's not frogs either, or water snails, both of which are
plentiful in our tiny pond in France. I even saw a water snake
basking in it, resting on a cushion of duckweed. I wish I could find
something that would eat it - what fish might?

Koi and Grass Carp

Koi don't, those are the only fish we have. Grass carp will eat the nicest
plants first before they get round to the rubbish.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-03-2009, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Pete C" wrote ...
Kate Brown wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote
"Sacha" wrote
Any chance that frogs and/or tadpoles eat duckweed?!

It's taken me years to get rid of the stuff on our pond, had to
buy a skimmer (Oase SwimSkim) in the end and that has worked so
far. Never seen any of our fish eat it, indeed when they gulp down
a mouthful of pellets and accidentally get some Duckweed too they
spit it out. Maybe it's not carp that eat it.

Well it's not frogs either, or water snails, both of which are
plentiful in our tiny pond in France. I even saw a water snake
basking in it, resting on a cushion of duckweed. I wish I could
find something that would eat it - what fish might?

Koi and Grass Carp

Koi don't,

I beg to differ Bob..........but hey, what's a bit of duckweed between
friends ;')
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 06-03-2009, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Any chance that frogs and/or tadpoles eat duckweed?!

Tadpoles, a little, possibly, frogs, not a chance.

And be careful while raking it out - you'll get lots of creatures out with it.

--
Rusty
Old 06-03-2009, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Judith in France contains these words:
On Mar 6, 5:26*pm, Sacha wrote:

Any chance that frogs and/or tadpoles eat duckweed?!

Straw will clear it. Don't know about Frogs though.

Barley straw controls algae, but not duckweed, AFAIK.

However, if you put some straw in a basket beside the pond and scoop
duckweed into it, the water will flow back and the duckweed remain
amongst the straw.

Goes well on the compost heap.

Nitrogen and other nutrients in the water encourages duckweed, so be
sparing with fertilisers where any run-off may get into the pond(s).

--
Rusty