Old 13-03-2009, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID of exotic flower please

On 13/3/09 11:54, in article , "Jeff Layman"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 13/3/09 05:15, in article
, "DaveP"
wrote:

It is Grevillea and very close to G. banksii, but the flower spike may
be too long for that species even though there are several quite
diverse forms. There have been quite a few banksii hybrids over the
years and it's a fairly safe bet that this is one of them.

Thanks, Dave and to others who answered helpfully. Interesting, Kay
thought it was a Banksia, given its actual name. Am I right in thinking
it wouldn't be hardy here? It looks too exotic, somehow. And in NZ -
while I remember - we saw a very low-growing Grevillea being used as
ground cover. The owner didn't know its name and it's not one we'd seen
before. It's a very pretty leaf - do you know which it is? This was in
the warmer North Island.
http://i41.tinypic.com/bdqr6c.jpg

There are dozens of Grevilleas (many hybrids). Many of these are hardy in
the UK (particularly those based around G. rosmarinifolia). I have grown
"G.rosmarinifolia" (it's in quotes because although that's what I bought it
as, it may be a hybrid) for years, and it's quite hardy here in Sussex,
growing in good wealden clay! It's now approaching 4 metres in height, and
is in flower for most months of the year. As to its hardiness, it has
shrugged off -8°C without a blink - even the flower buds haven't been
touched.

You may be interested in http://www.anzplantsoc.org.uk

Yes, we have that Grevillea in the garden here and it's come through this
winter unscathed. It's very good value in that it flowers for so much of
the year.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-03-2009, 03:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:
.... but also try Faurea, e.g.
Faurea forficuliflora from Madagascarhttp://tinyurl.com/dbyyox
and scroll down to the last but one line of images.

It isn't Faurea. There are structural differences in the floral and
reproductive parts as well as all species having entire leaves. It is
also a rarely seen genus, unlikely to be cultivated for the florist
trade.

Kay wrote:
It might not be named for its superficial similarity to Banksia, it
might simply be honouring the same botanist

Nothing to do with any similarities Kay, they both commemorate Joseph
Banks who was largely responsible for the foundation of Kew Gardens as
we know it today. Whilst being members of the Protea family, Banksia
and Grevillea are sufficiently distinct and it is unlikely that they
would be mistaken for one another.

Grevillea banksii is best described as being tender to nearly half
hardy and is tolerant the occasional, short-lived, light frost. In
nature it appears as somewhat sprawling species, but the best
cultivated forms are erect shrubs to 3 or 4m. high. Flower colour
varies from white through to red and the inflorescences can be up to
15cms long. There are hybrids with other species and cultivars
derived from these have proved to be good garden plants, but in
Australia and not here unfortunately.

Old 14-03-2009, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/3/09 03:43, in article
, "DaveP"
wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:
.... but also try Faurea, e.g.
Faurea forficuliflora from Madagascarhttp://tinyurl.com/dbyyox
and scroll down to the last but one line of images.

For some reason I didn't see the original of this so didn't acknowledge it.
Sorry and thank you but I think David's pinned it down as Grevillea.

Kay wrote:
[...]

Did you by any chance recognise the other Grevillea I posted a link to,
David? This is one we saw in NZ.

Old 14-03-2009, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

Did you by any chance recognise the other Grevillea I posted a link to,
David? *This is one we saw in NZ.

Tried to view it, but it wouldn't load up. Howabout sending it in an
attachment to my comptech addy?

Old 14-03-2009, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I wrote:

Did you by any chance recognise the other Grevillea I posted a link to,
David? *This is one we saw in NZ.

Tried to view it, but it wouldn't load up. *Howabout sending it in an
attachment to my comptech addy?

Hah, managed to get it to load. Difficult to say Sacha - can't make
out much detail because the flowers are past their best. Since New
Zealand does not have any native species your pic would be of either
an 'escape' or a cultivated form. The foliage is almost identical to
the very popular 'Robin Gordon', which I grew here for a short while,
but the spike is old with seed pods just developing. I'll take a stab
and say 95% 'Robin Gordon' - that should encourage our Oz friends to
put me right :-)