Old 18-03-2009, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hello, a newbie here

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 21:18:53 -0000, "Ophelia" wrote:

Is the slug thing a problem in all gardens? I think Rusty was
talking about
keeping them off the plants, not killing them? Maybe I have it
wrong. Does
the beer just kill them if you find them? How will it keep them off
if you
are not on guard?

It kills them. More humane than using a squirrel gun to kill them.

Don't be silly! You use a slug-gun.

--
Rusty
Old 18-03-2009, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
Aries wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 20:49:37 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

Yes, if you tie a piece of copper wire round the structure.

The best material is some old TV co-ax. tear off the outside coating
(many of them are pre-scored) and push (don't pull!) the braided
copper screen off the diastatic.

You'll find the bare screen will stretch to several times the length
of your original cable.

Thank you. Val, have you used this on your raised beds?

No I haven't but I will now

I bet you will) Btw Rusty, I have saved your advice and thank you.

You're welcome.

Advice is free. Copper comes a bit dearer.

--
Rusty
Old 18-03-2009, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
Bob Hobden wrote:

Ok, see your point, we are only two as well and I've had
arthritis for
decades but we have a full allotment for the veg. Regarding
slugs and snails they are a problem however you garden, you
have to learn to live with them most of the time, we simply
plant more to take account of the losses as we do for diseases
like White Rot. I take your point about weeding, doesn't do
your knees much good, a morning spend hand weeding the
onions/shallots does me no good. Still, no gain without pain.

Would raised beds circumvent this problem with the slugs and
snails?

Yes, if you tie a piece of copper wire round the structure.

The best material is some old TV co-ax. tear off the outside
coating (many of them are pre-scored) and push (don't pull!) the
braided copper screen off the diastatic.

You'll find the bare screen will stretch to several times the
length of your original cable.

Thank you. Val, have you used this on your raised beds?

Our trial of keeping slugs off plants by wrapping copper tape around
the stems plants was an expensive failure last year. Heineken is
still the cheapest way to kill slugs.

Is the slug thing a problem in all gardens? I think Rusty was
talking about keeping them off the plants, not killing them? Maybe
I have it wrong. Does the beer just kill them if you find them?
How will it keep them off if you are not on guard?

It kills them. More humane than using a squirrel gun to kill them.

What about an elephant gun?

Old 18-03-2009, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Is the slug thing a problem in all gardens? I think Rusty was
talking about
keeping them off the plants, not killing them? Maybe I have it
wrong. Does
the beer just kill them if you find them? How will it keep them off
if you are not on guard?

You bury a jamjar, plastic cup, w.h.y? up to its neck in the soil, and
tip in a little tipple.

Slugs then commit suicide in battalions.

So, you have tipsy slugs going to their maker in a jolly mood? Sounds all
right to me

Old 18-03-2009, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Aries wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 20:49:37 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

Yes, if you tie a piece of copper wire round the structure.

The best material is some old TV co-ax. tear off the outside
coating (many of them are pre-scored) and push (don't pull!) the
braided copper screen off the diastatic.

You'll find the bare screen will stretch to several times the
length of your original cable.

Thank you. Val, have you used this on your raised beds?

No I haven't but I will now

I bet you will) Btw Rusty, I have saved your advice and thank you.

You're welcome.

Advice is free. Copper comes a bit dearer.

I reckon David can find the odd bit of co-ax. come the day

Old 18-03-2009, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 21:18:53 -0000, "Ophelia" wrote:

Is the slug thing a problem in all gardens? I think Rusty was talking about
keeping them off the plants, not killing them? Maybe I have it wrong. Does
the beer just kill them if you find them? How will it keep them off if you
are not on guard?

It kills them. More humane than using a squirrel gun to kill them.

I must say that I had never thought of shooting slugs, though I can
see that people who have trouble with fish in barrels might like the
idea.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-03-2009, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 21:58:13 -0000, "Ophelia" wrote:

[ Re slugs ]

It kills them. More humane than using a squirrel gun to kill them.

What about an elephant gun?

We don't have elephants in our garden.

Over to Nick for an interesting reminiscence.

Actually, I never had, either. Leopards, now - and you thought that
you had cat problems?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-03-2009, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

We don't have elephants in our garden.

Over to Nick for an interesting reminiscence.

Actually, I never had, either. Leopards, now - and you thought that
you had cat problems?

Tell us about it.

It's not exciting. They are nocturnal, EXTREMELY hard to see if they
don't want to be seen, intelligent, and had long ago learnt that men
who owned guns were too dangerous to hunt. We saw evidence, but I
never saw one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-03-2009, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:

We don't have elephants in our garden.

Over to Nick for an interesting reminiscence.

Actually, I never had, either. Leopards, now - and you thought that
you had cat problems?

Tell us about it.

It's not exciting. They are nocturnal, EXTREMELY hard to see if they
don't want to be seen, intelligent, and had long ago learnt that men
who owned guns were too dangerous to hunt. We saw evidence, but I
never saw one.

Where was that?

Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 19-03-2009, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 21:18:53 -0000, "Ophelia" wrote:

Is the slug thing a problem in all gardens? I think Rusty was
talking about
keeping them off the plants, not killing them? Maybe I have it
wrong. Does
the beer just kill them if you find them? How will it keep them off
if you
are not on guard?

It kills them. More humane than using a squirrel gun to kill them.

Don't be silly! You use a slug-gun.

A pair of old scissors works.

My daughter's partner used to snip 'em in two, but couldn't do so if her
friend was visiting, because if he went out with the scissors in his
hand she ran down the garden after him shrieking obscenities.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 19-03-2009, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

Advice is free. Copper comes a bit dearer.

Not always... ;-)

Ok, I charge fifty pence for my advice, and it comes tied-up in copper wire.

--
Rusty

Hello a newbie here sjwigglywoo United Kingdom 9 14-04-2012 09:43 PM
Hello newbie here anneymouse Ponds 7 16-05-2006 02:39 PM
Hello, new here and question about Tulips mtostenrude Gardening 0 23-02-2004 02:35 AM
Hello, new here and question about Tulips WiGard Gardening 7 21-02-2004 07:32 PM
New here - hello Everyone Hazell B United Kingdom 0 06-11-2003 07:47 PM