Old 17-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Registered User

Smile Hello, a newbie here

Hello

I live in the West country, in West Somerset. I have a fairly large garden, which my husband and I created from scratch. We grow mainly shrubs and flowers, but do grow some vegetables in containers.
We can grow a few more exotic plants, which seem to do well here, because our climate is generally mild, even in the depths of winter!
Hope I get to know people here. Thank you for admitting me.
Old 17-03-2009, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hello, a newbie here

Gilli99 wrote:
Hello

I live in the West country, in West Somerset. I have a fairly large
garden, which my husband and I created from scratch. We grow mainly
shrubs and flowers, but do grow some vegetables in containers.
We can grow a few more exotic plants, which seem to do well here,
because our climate is generally mild, even in the depths of winter!
Hope I get to know people here. Thank you for admitting me.

Hello Gill I am a newbie myself so if you wish to sit on the newbies
bench with me, I have a flask of coffee)

Old 17-03-2009, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Gilli99

Hi Gill
I'm bit of a urg newbie myself.
Not sure when I can drop that tag.

mark

Old 17-03-2009, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
mark wrote:

I'm bit of a urg newbie myself.
Not sure when I can drop that tag.

I'm one of the orurginals - and I'm sure that I can't drop that!
But nobody except trolls gives a damn about such things. Gardening
is what it's about, and that doesn't seem to exclude much :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-03-2009, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gilli99" wrote ...
I live in the West country, in West Somerset. I have a fairly large
garden, which my husband and I created from scratch. We grow mainly
shrubs and flowers, but do grow some vegetables in containers.
We can grow a few more exotic plants, which seem to do well here,
because our climate is generally mild, even in the depths of winter!
Hope I get to know people here. Thank you for admitting me.

Welcome to URG Gill, even if you did get here in a roundabout way, one
question, you say you have a large garden and then say you grow veg in
containers etc... why?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Registered User

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"Gilli99" wrote ...
I live in the West country, in West Somerset. I have a fairly large
garden, which my husband and I created from scratch. We grow mainly
shrubs and flowers, but do grow some vegetables in containers.
We can grow a few more exotic plants, which seem to do well here,
because our climate is generally mild, even in the depths of winter!
Hope I get to know people here. Thank you for admitting me.

Welcome to URG Gill, even if you did get here in a roundabout way, one
question, you say you have a large garden and then say you grow veg in
containers etc... why?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
We grow the vegs in containers, Bob, because there is only two of us, so we dont need loads of vegs. Plus, we get inundated with pests, snails, slugs etc so it got expensive trying to get rid of 'em!....plus!...its easier for us to weed etc..as we are both arthritic. We are also pestered by cats..at least 6+ daily, who use the garden as a toilet.

Regards
Gill
Old 18-03-2009, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gilli99" wrote in message

Hello

I live in the West country, in West Somerset. I have a fairly large
garden, which my husband and I created from scratch. We grow mainly
shrubs and flowers, but do grow some vegetables in containers.
We can grow a few more exotic plants, which seem to do well here,
because our climate is generally mild, even in the depths of winter!
Hope I get to know people here. Thank you for admitting me.

--
Gilli99

Hello Gill,

Welcome to the ng. I (and the Husband Thingy) am in SE London on high
ground and on heavy clay. We also grow more decoratives than veg, and we
attempt a few exotics but, without your balmy climate, we have losses from
time to time. I am the main gardener here, but I sometimes let Richard (the
HT) come out and play.

I am sure you will get to know everyone here. It is a good and very helpful
ng.

Spider

Old 18-03-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gilli99" wrote ...-
-
Welcome to URG Gill, even if you did get here in a roundabout way, one

question, you say you have a large garden and then say you grow veg in

containers etc... why?

We grow the vegs in containers, Bob, because there is only two of us,
so we dont need loads of vegs. Plus, we get inundated with pests,
snails, slugs etc so it got expensive trying to get rid of
'em!....plus!...its easier for us to weed etc..as we are both
arthritic. We are also pestered by cats..at least 6+ daily, who use the
garden as a toilet.

Ok, see your point, we are only two as well and I've had arthritis for
decades but we have a full allotment for the veg. Regarding slugs and snails
they are a problem however you garden, you have to learn to live with them
most of the time, we simply plant more to take account of the losses as we
do for diseases like White Rot. I take your point about weeding, doesn't do
your knees much good, a morning spend hand weeding the onions/shallots does
me no good. Still, no gain without pain.
Pestered by cats, lucky you, I wish we were out on the allotments, because
there aren't any we get Rabbits so have to fence every plot, and Rats and
Mice which eat all the seed peas in the ground and sweetcorn before it's
ripe etc. Believe me, cats are your friends.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-03-2009, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
Ok, see your point, we are only two as well and I've had arthritis for

decades but we have a full allotment for the veg. Regarding slugs and
snails they are a problem however you garden, you have to learn to
live with them most of the time, we simply plant more to take account
of the losses as we do for diseases like White Rot. I take your point
about weeding, doesn't do your knees much good, a morning spend hand
weeding the onions/shallots does me no good. Still, no gain without
pain.

Would raised beds circumvent this problem with the slugs and snails?

Old 18-03-2009, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
Bob Hobden wrote:

Ok, see your point, we are only two as well and I've had arthritis for

decades but we have a full allotment for the veg. Regarding slugs and
snails they are a problem however you garden, you have to learn to
live with them most of the time, we simply plant more to take account
of the losses as we do for diseases like White Rot. I take your point
about weeding, doesn't do your knees much good, a morning spend hand
weeding the onions/shallots does me no good. Still, no gain without
pain.

Would raised beds circumvent this problem with the slugs and snails?

Yes, if you tie a piece of copper wire round the structure.

The best material is some old TV co-ax. tear off the outside coating
(many of them are pre-scored) and push (don't pull!) the braided copper
screen off the diastatic.

You'll find the bare screen will stretch to several times the length of
your original cable.

--
Rusty
Old 18-03-2009, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

[...]

Thank you. Val, have you used this on your raised beds?

Old 18-03-2009, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:

[...]

Our trial of keeping slugs off plants by wrapping copper tape around
the stems plants was an expensive failure last year. Heineken is
still the cheapest way to kill slugs.

Is the slug thing a problem in all gardens? I think Rusty was talking about
keeping them off the plants, not killing them? Maybe I have it wrong. Does
the beer just kill them if you find them? How will it keep them off if you
are not on guard?

Old 18-03-2009, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

Is the slug thing a problem in all gardens? I think Rusty was talking
about
keeping them off the plants, not killing them? Maybe I have it wrong.
Does
the beer just kill them if you find them? How will it keep them off if you
are not on guard?

You bury a jamjar, plastic cup, w.h.y? up to its neck in the soil, and
tip in a little tipple.

Slugs then commit suicide in battalions.

--
Rusty
Old 18-03-2009, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Aries wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 20:49:37 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

Yes, if you tie a piece of copper wire round the structure.

The best material is some old TV co-ax. tear off the outside coating
(many of them are pre-scored) and push (don't pull!) the braided
copper screen off the diastatic.

You'll find the bare screen will stretch to several times the length
of your original cable.

Thank you. Val, have you used this on your raised beds?

No I haven't but I will now

I bet you will) Btw Rusty, I have saved your advice and thank you.

Hello a newbie here sjwigglywoo United Kingdom 9 14-04-2012 09:43 PM
Hello newbie here anneymouse Ponds 7 16-05-2006 02:39 PM
Hello, new here and question about Tulips mtostenrude Gardening 0 23-02-2004 02:35 AM
Hello, new here and question about Tulips WiGard Gardening 7 21-02-2004 07:32 PM
New here - hello Everyone Hazell B United Kingdom 0 06-11-2003 07:47 PM