Old 24-03-2009, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Verminator help wanted

On Mar 24, 7:48*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

Well I found a new crop of holes in my lawn this morning and they are
too small to have been made by a badgers paws. My money is on
squirrels, not least because I overheard this little voice early this
morning saying, "Where's me nuts? Where's me nuts. Every autumn I
tells her, make a marker, but does she listen? then she gets herself
pregnant and I have to come and find the flaming things....."

So how did he get her pregnant, then?

Top posting, I think!
Old 24-03-2009, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from moghouse contains these words:
On Mar 24, 7:48*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

Well I found a new crop of holes in my lawn this morning and they are
too small to have been made by a badgers paws. My money is on
squirrels, not least because I overheard this little voice early this
morning saying, "Where's me nuts? Where's me nuts. Every autumn I
tells her, make a marker, but does she listen? then she gets herself
pregnant and I have to come and find the flaming things....."

So how did he get her pregnant, then?

Top posting, I think!

Cloff, IYWBSK!

--
Rusty
Old 25-03-2009, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 24, 9:48*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

So how did he get her pregnant, then?

Top posting, I think!

Cloff, IYWBSK!

After you, sir!
Old 25-03-2009, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Therefore
writes
Top posting again

These Badgers , is there anyway of stopping them
as it would be impossible to carry on with my flower
and veg. patch , this would indeed be a shame

Some extracts from a post of mine from last year may be of help.

Badgers are creatures of habit and if they are visiting regularly they
are likely to enter and leave the garden in the same places every night,
leaving traces of their presence as they do so - clearly defined holes
in a hedge, dirty paw prints on the face or top of a wall and, after a
while and particularly noticeable when lack of rain has slowed the
growth of the grass, quite distinct paths where they have repeatedly
crossed the lawn.

In the event that it is badgers causing the problem, the bad news is
that they are not easy to discourage. A number of badgers visit our
garden every night and we accept that occasionally they will decide to
dig a few holes in a lawn. As the holes are invariable in a fairly
close grouping we lay a piece of green one inch fencing mesh
horizontally on the area for a few nights which has always solved the
problem - strangely they do not tend to dig in another area. To exclude
badgers from a garden completely is a bit difficult unless you have a
badger proof perimeter. Low level electric fencing is very effective
where the cost is justified.

The Badger Trust produce some useful information on this subject:
http://www.badger.org.uk/content/Living.asp

--
Robert
Old 25-03-2009, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"robert" wrote in message
In message , Therefore
writes
Top posting again

These Badgers , is there anyway of stopping them
as it would be impossible to carry on with my flower
and veg. patch , this would indeed be a shame

Some extracts from a post of mine from last year may be of help.

Badgers are creatures of habit and if they are visiting regularly they
are likely to enter and leave the garden in the same places every night,
leaving traces of their presence as they do so - clearly defined holes
in a hedge, dirty paw prints on the face or top of a wall and, after a
while and particularly noticeable when lack of rain has slowed the
growth of the grass, quite distinct paths where they have repeatedly
crossed the lawn.

Please note this point from the OP

"My garden is part of open farmland and cannot be fenced "

which I why I suggested a removable low level electric fence.

Diesel soaked rags will keep them out of coming through a hole in the hedge
but if the garden is completely open like this one the only solution IMO is
an electric fence.. Yes, they are expensive but you can occasionally pick
up second hand ones at farm sales.

I dread getting badgers here, I keep poultry. Badgers will happily eat hens
and have the power to get themselves into quite substantial sheds that would
be safe from foxes.

Tropaeolum ciliatum - help wanted Roger Van Loon United Kingdom 16 02-06-2012 06:16 PM
HELP WANTED Robert B II Australia 0 22-07-2003 09:22 AM
HELP WANTED Robert B II Australia 0 22-07-2003 09:15 AM
Big tree wanted - quickly... advice wanted even sooner! :-) Distendo United Kingdom 4 31-05-2003 04:45 PM
Wanted: help chipping wood Siouxzi North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:45 PM