Old 23-03-2009, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Verminator help wanted

The message
from "Therefore" contains these words:

The size of holes that the pest is leaving

These are up to 4" deep and can spread from 2" to 5" deep with the soil
dragged to one side the hole is definately dug from the top

We post our answers beneathe the quoted text here, you may have noticed.

--
Rusty
Old 23-03-2009, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Therefore" wrote in message
. ..

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Mar 22, 3:56 pm, "Therefore" wrote:
Hello can you help

My garden is being decimated by an animal that is digging holes
everywhere

Holes are appearing in the lawn and in the flower beds and veg. plot

Also freshly planted plants are being uprooted and tossed to one side

I am quite sure that cats and dogs are not responsible

My garden is part of open farmland and cannot be fenced

There are magpies, crows ,doves, foxes, badgers, even rats in the area

TIA .........................Leslie

When you say "holes", can you be a little more specific?

The size of holes that the pest is leaving

These are up to 4" deep and can spread from 2" to 5" deep with the soil
dragged to one side the hole is definately dug from the top

.......................Leslie

Top posting adjusted

The description suggest's you may have Badgers visiting you, I hope you
don't encounter two fighting in the early hours as the noise will be
frightening.
DRiving across a local common recently at night had to slow and stop while a
Badger ran back and for across the road looking for a route off the road,
followed at a safe distance for about quarter of a mile before it lumbered
up a bank on the side.
Regards
Cineman

Old 23-03-2009, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
cineman wrote:

The description suggest's you may have Badgers visiting you, I hope you
don't encounter two fighting in the early hours as the noise will be
frightening.

And don't try to separate them by hand if you value your appendages!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-03-2009, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Therefore" wrote in message
. ..
The size of holes that the pest is leaving

These are up to 4" deep and can spread from 2" to 5" deep with the soil
dragged to one side the hole is definately dug from the top

Badger would be my guess.

Old 23-03-2009, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/3/09 22:23, in article , "Christina
Websell" wrote:

"Therefore" wrote in message
. ..
The size of holes that the pest is leaving

These are up to 4" deep and can spread from 2" to 5" deep with the soil
dragged to one side the hole is definately dug from the top

Badger would be my guess.

Very possible. We saw just this on a 'woodland' type path in the garden
today and we reckon it's from a badger.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-03-2009, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 23, 9:29*pm, "cineman"
wrote:

Top posting adjusted

What's this? A Pedant's Revolt?
Old 24-03-2009, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 24, 12:22*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 05:15:32 -0700 (PDT), moghouse
wrote:

On Mar 23, 9:29*pm, "cineman"
wrote:

Top posting adjusted

What's this? *A Pedant's Revolt?

or a revolting pedant?

Now I was too polite to put it like that! This is a refined Newsgroup
despite the french and dutch resident lurkers.
Old 24-03-2009, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Top posting again

These Badgers , is there anyway of stopping them
as it would be impossible to carry on with my flower
and veg. patch , this would indeed be a shame

..............................Leslie

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 23/3/09 22:23, in article ,
"Christina
Websell" wrote:

"Therefore" wrote in message
. ..
The size of holes that the pest is leaving

These are up to 4" deep and can spread from 2" to 5" deep with the soil
dragged to one side the hole is definately dug from the top

Badger would be my guess.

Very possible. We saw just this on a 'woodland' type path in the garden
today and we reckon it's from a badger.

Earthworms are their favourite food, after all..

Old 24-03-2009, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 24, 3:43*pm, Martin wrote:

What's this? *A Pedant's Revolt?

or a revolting pedant?

Now I was too polite to put it like that! This is a refined Newsgroup
despite the french and dutch resident lurkers.

lurkers?

Posting, lurking, both nasty foreign habits. And no quips about nuns
please.

Old 24-03-2009, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 24, 4:14*pm, "Therefore" wrote:
Top posting again

These Badgers , is there anyway of stopping them
as it would be impossible to carry on with my flower
and veg. patch , this would indeed be a shame

Well I found a new crop of holes in my lawn this morning and they are
too small to have been made by a badgers paws. My money is on
squirrels, not least because I overheard this little voice early this
morning saying, "Where's me nuts? Where's me nuts. Every autumn I
tells her, make a marker, but does she listen? then she gets herself
pregnant and I have to come and find the flaming things....."
Old 24-03-2009, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Therefore" wrote in message
. ..
Top posting again

These Badgers , is there anyway of stopping them
as it would be impossible to carry on with my flower
and veg. patch , this would indeed be a shame

..............................Leslie

As you said you are unable to permanently fence the area you might consider
an electric fence perhaps. Mains or battery operated, you can get both.
They do cost a fair sum for the unit though and then the extras for the
actual fence. I would not consider electric netting (as sold for poultry
and sheep) to keep out badgers; their sight is poor, they bumble around and
are likely to get caught up in it when they get their first shock. The last
think you need is a angry badger that's been thrashing around in netting for
ages, it will take your hand off if you try to rescue it.
I'd go for the push in metal posts with insulators that you can adjust for
height, with the first one at about 8-10 inches (to allow for hedgehogs to
get underneath) A low electric wire to climb over is a big killer of
hedgehogs as they curl up over the wire at the first shock and cannot get
out of the situation.
That height of wire should give the badgers a nasty sting on the nose
without harming them. I'd probably have another wire 6 inches or so above
that to be certain they get the picture.
I can't think of any other way to keep badgers out of an area that is
totally unfenced.
You might decide it's too expensive though, but it would be a shame to give
up your veggies and flowers as you say.

If you can go to a shop "for farmers" you'll get great advice about electric
fences and all the gizmos you can get for them.

HTH

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 23/3/09 22:23, in article ,
"Christina
Websell" wrote:

. ..

Old 24-03-2009, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from moghouse contains these words:
On Mar 23, 9:29*pm, "cineman"
wrote:

Top posting adjusted

What's this? A Pedant's Revolt?

No, just applying normal Usenet protocols, and unjumbling for the
benefit of future responders.

Posters should note and observe the normal procedures of a group, and
respect them - to do otherwise is both arrogant and uncivil.

--
Rusty
Old 24-03-2009, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from moghouse contains these words:
On Mar 24, 4:14*pm, "Therefore" wrote:
Top posting again

These Badgers , is there anyway of stopping them
as it would be impossible to carry on with my flower
and veg. patch , this would indeed be a shame

Well I found a new crop of holes in my lawn this morning and they are
too small to have been made by a badgers paws. My money is on
squirrels, not least because I overheard this little voice early this
morning saying, "Where's me nuts? Where's me nuts. Every autumn I
tells her, make a marker, but does she listen? then she gets herself
pregnant and I have to come and find the flaming things....."

So how did he get her pregnant, then?

--
Rusty
Old 24-03-2009, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

moghouse wrote:
On Mar 24, 4:14 pm, "Therefore" wrote:
Top posting again

These Badgers , is there anyway of stopping them
as it would be impossible to carry on with my flower
and veg. patch , this would indeed be a shame

Well I found a new crop of holes in my lawn this morning and they are
too small to have been made by a badgers paws. My money is on
squirrels, not least because I overheard this little voice early this
morning saying, "Where's me nuts? Where's me nuts. Every autumn I
tells her, make a marker, but does she listen? then she gets herself
pregnant and I have to come and find the flaming things....."

lol

Tropaeolum ciliatum - help wanted Roger Van Loon United Kingdom 16 02-06-2012 06:16 PM
HELP WANTED Robert B II Australia 0 22-07-2003 09:22 AM
HELP WANTED Robert B II Australia 0 22-07-2003 09:15 AM
Big tree wanted - quickly... advice wanted even sooner! :-) Distendo United Kingdom 4 31-05-2003 04:45 PM
Wanted: help chipping wood Siouxzi North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:45 PM