Old 26-03-2009, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What not to plant

"Pam Moore" wrote
Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

A large leaved variegated Ivy, took over all along a fence and had to be
constantly hacked back. It's gone now.
Also Lysimachia nummularia (creeping jenny) which I planted years ago and
still find coming up here and there.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-03-2009, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

I grew Phygelius capensis, but it died out. (I think that the winter
wet, and competition from Buddleias, disagreed with it.) Birmingham
Botanic Garden have a national collection of Phygelius, but their plants
didn't look invasive last time I visited.

I agree. I've had it growing for 10 years and it isn't invasive - just
slowly clumps up.

--
Jeff

Well, Jeff and Rusty, all I can say is I must have planted Triffid subsp.
phygelius capensis; it gave me no end of trouble :~(. Perhaps, one day
when I'm feeling brave - or reckless - I'll give it another chance. Thanks
for the glimmer of hope, chaps.

Spider

Old 26-03-2009, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:
Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Acanthus - that was a right b*gg*r! Vinca major isn't a problem ....

And, interestingly, sweet cicely.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-03-2009, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Mar 26, 10:59 am, Pam Moore wrote:

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Wild garlic without a doubt.(see earlier thread) It came diguised in a
mixed packet of small rockery bulbs given to me a present. For a few
years it behaved itself and then, in no time at all, it was
everywhere.

Also the small creeping euphorbia. It is controlable, with effort, but
when clearing out a bit one day I foolishly wiped the sweat from my
eyes and within a few minutes I was on my way to hospital with
alarmingly swollen eyes - the original bug-eyed monster! I am more
careful now.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the eyes .. sounds really painful. I had the
galloping euphorbia once, but I already knew about its toxicity. It's
surprising how many people don't know. I was talking to local landscapers
yesterday who didn't even know the plant. I put them very much in the
picture, and I hope they'll be careful now.

Spider

Old 26-03-2009, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Bobbie contains these words:
Pam Moore wrote:

Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Pam in Bristol

Japanese knotweed and Russian vine?

Sorry I was being flippant. For me it would also be lamium, and although
I didn't introduce it, a creeping form of euphorbia (euphorbia robbii.)

And in the light (or shade?) of a post || somewhere down the
a monkey-puzzle tree... _||_
\ /
\/

....and to think they were so popular one time. Strange how fashions in
garden design change as often as clothes. Chelsea has a lot to answer for.
Remember when front gardens were all dwarf conifers and heather?
Now all too often it is decking and a water feature. and oooh! solar
lights. They both have a place but not all prevailing.

Now Rusty about my blind daffodils?

Bobbie

Old 26-03-2009, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
news
Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Pam in Bristol

I seem to have loads of Achillea.
Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't all the same sort.

mark

Old 26-03-2009, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

Now Rusty about my blind daffodils?

Which blind daffodils?

I don't even know what they are - never even heard of them that I
unforget. I'm sure I haven't got any...

--
Rusty
Old 26-03-2009, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bobbie wrote:
Now Rusty about my blind daffodils?

Er.... spectacules?

... I'll get me coat..........

Old 26-03-2009, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 26, 6:00*pm, "Spider" wrote:

Also the small creeping euphorbia. It is controlable, with effort, but
when clearing out a bit one day I foolishly wiped the sweat from my
eyes and within a few minutes I was on my way to hospital with
alarmingly swollen eyes - the original bug-eyed monster! *I am more
careful now.

Ouch! *Sorry to hear about the eyes .. sounds really painful. *I had the
galloping euphorbia once, but I already knew about its toxicity. *It's
surprising how many people don't know. *I was talking to local landscapers
yesterday who didn't even know the plant. *I put them very much in the
picture, and I hope they'll be careful now.

The worst part of it was that I was aware of the toxicity, but forgot
for the brief instant I wiped my eyes. I would not have believed that
eye balls could swell!

Old 26-03-2009, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

Now Rusty about my blind daffodils?

Which blind daffodils?

I don't even know what they are - never even heard of them that I
unforget. I'm sure I haven't got any...

Three years ago I mass planted daffodil bulbs on every available space.
I also planted clumps of snowdrops in the green. The first year they
flowered fit to bust. It was a sight to warm the cockles of Wordsworth's
heart. Same with the snowdrops. This year in an area we affectionately
call the *wild garden* the daffodils once again flowered and some are
still flowering very well but in other areas I have just clumps of green
leaves, no flowers. In that same area, the snowdrops have multiplied and
flower prolifically. Have I mistakenly called these flowerless plants,
blind?
Why does this happen, and is there something I can do to make them
flower as before?

Bobbie
Old 26-03-2009, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 26, 7:24*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 26/3/09 10:59, in article ,

"Pam Moore" wrote:
Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. *My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. *This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Pam in Bristol

Well, we fight the good fight with all kinds of Vinca though we didn't
introduce it ourselves. *On the whole, I quite like the things that turn up
uninvited but I do remember someone here lamenting Alchemilla mollis at one
time. *I absolutely love it so am thrilled when I see bits of it popping up
here and there. *
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Sacha, do you remember the wonderful posts of Maddie, the Mad
Gardener? She had a losing fight with Vinca? I wonder if she is
still at Windy Hollow or was it Ridge?

Judith
Old 26-03-2009, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

moghouse wrote:
The worst part of it was that I was aware of the toxicity, but forgot
for the brief instant I wiped my eyes. I would not have believed that
eye balls could swell!

I can believe it. I have the same reaction with sunflowers

Old 26-03-2009, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/3/09 20:35, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Mar 26, 7:24*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 26/3/09 10:59, in article ,

"Pam Moore" wrote:
[...]

I do indeed remember her posts. She was moving on AFAIR.

Old 26-03-2009, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 26, 7:31*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from Bobbie contains these words: