Old 27-03-2009, 01:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What not to plant

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Well, we fight the good fight with all kinds of Vinca though we didn't
introduce it ourselves. On the whole, I quite like the things that turn up
uninvited but I do remember someone here lamenting Alchemilla mollis at one
time. I absolutely love it so am thrilled when I see bits of it popping up
here and there.

I have the Alchemilla dotting here too. They are easily pulled-up and
transplanted.

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.
Old 27-03-2009, 01:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
Bobbie wrote:

Now Rusty about my blind daffodils?

Er.... spectacules?

... I'll get me coat..........

I should think so too - ITYM daffy-fall-down-dillies

Old 27-03-2009, 01:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from moghouse contains these words:
On Mar 26, 6:00*pm, "Spider" wrote:

Also the small creeping euphorbia. It is controlable, with effort, but
when clearing out a bit one day I foolishly wiped the sweat from my
eyes and within a few minutes I was on my way to hospital with
alarmingly swollen eyes - the original bug-eyed monster! *I am more
careful now.

Ouch! *Sorry to hear about the eyes .. sounds really painful. *I had the
galloping euphorbia once, but I already knew about its toxicity. *It's
surprising how many people don't know. *I was talking to local landscapers
yesterday who didn't even know the plant. *I put them very much in the
picture, and I hope they'll be careful now.

The worst part of it was that I was aware of the toxicity, but forgot
for the brief instant I wiped my eyes. I would not have believed that
eye balls could swell!

You don't want to do that after preparing chillis either - especially
the stronger ones.

Jalapinos are bad enough...

Old 27-03-2009, 01:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

Three years ago I mass planted daffodil bulbs on every available space.
I also planted clumps of snowdrops in the green. The first year they
flowered fit to bust. It was a sight to warm the cockles of Wordsworth's
heart. Same with the snowdrops. This year in an area we affectionately
call the *wild garden* the daffodils once again flowered and some are
still flowering very well but in other areas I have just clumps of green
leaves, no flowers. In that same area, the snowdrops have multiplied and
flower prolifically. Have I mistakenly called these flowerless plants,
blind?
Why does this happen, and is there something I can do to make them
flower as before?

After the leaves have died back, dig up the clumps and split them.

Old 27-03-2009, 01:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from echinosum contains these words:
'Pam Moore[_2_ Wrote:

;835346']What plants have others regretted introducing into their
gardens?

Tansy. But fortunately I don't live there any more.

I planted some - several times, and it's always disappeared.

But my predecessor in this house planted some bloody awful
stoloniferous Spiraea which grows like raspberries, spreads, and is
ineradicable.

Nah. Just keep cutting it down and it *WILL* go.

And likewise a creeping Hypericum.

It's taken me years to establish it - it's something I remember from oh,
er - 1944, and at least I can *PRETEND* I'm that age again as I look at
it...

Viburnum tinus is
likewise ineradicable.

Oh, come on! (And why would you want to?)

A laurel hedge that doesn't flower, and has to
be pruned twice a year. Some giant cotoneaster thing which has had its
seeds spread everywhere by the birds and comes up as a weed all over
the place.

Lovely bonsai subjects. I welcome them and pot them for later
root-pruning and 'arranging'.

Old 27-03-2009, 01:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from moghouse contains these words:
On Mar 26, 7:31*pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

Now Rusty about my blind daffodils?

Which blind daffodils?

Perhaps you need some guide dogroses!

Blind dogs for the Guides?

Old 27-03-2009, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 26, 6:00 pm, "Spider" wrote:
[...]

Horseradish isn't too kind either.
I wonder why it's called that? Horses hate the stuff.

Bobbie..... from a cool but bright rural Dorset.
Old 27-03-2009, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
Bobbie wrote:
Now Rusty about my blind daffodils?

Er.... spectacules?

.. I'll get me coat..........

Don't go, the daffs weren't in the least bit offended.;-)

Bobbie
Old 27-03-2009, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bobbie wrote:

Now Rusty about my blind daffodils?

Er.... spectacules?

... I'll get me coat..........

I should think so too - ITYM daffy-fall-down-dillies

errrrrrrr...........

Old 27-03-2009, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bobbie wrote:

Horseradish isn't too kind either.
I wonder why it's called that? Horses hate the stuff.

"Horse" means "coarse" in that context, as in horse mackerel, horse
chestnut etc.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-03-2009, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 27, 11:38*am, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:05:27 +0000, Gordon H

wrote:
In message ,
writes
In article ,
Bobbie wrote:

Horseradish isn't too kind either.
I wonder why it's called that? Horses hate the stuff.

"Horse" means "coarse" in that context, as in horse mackerel, horse
chestnut etc.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Now I understand the expression "Horse feathers".

Horse's doovers?
--

Martin

I'm quite partial to a horses' doovers our Martin :-)

Judith
Old 27-03-2009, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bobbie wrote:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

Now Rusty about my blind daffodils?

Which blind daffodils?

I don't even know what they are - never even heard of them that I
unforget. I'm sure I haven't got any...

Three years ago I mass planted daffodil bulbs on every available space.
I also planted clumps of snowdrops in the green. The first year they
flowered fit to bust. It was a sight to warm the cockles of Wordsworth's
heart. Same with the snowdrops. This year in an area we affectionately
call the *wild garden* the daffodils once again flowered and some are
still flowering very well but in other areas I have just clumps of green
leaves, no flowers. In that same area, the snowdrops have multiplied and
flower prolifically. Have I mistakenly called these flowerless plants,
blind?
Why does this happen, and is there something I can do to make them
flower as before?

Three years isn't that long for them to need to be split, perhaps.

They're called blind, that's right.

Sometimes it seems now that daff bulbs "flower out" the first year,
then take a while to recover. Give 'em some wood ash, and let the
leaves go as long as possible.

We've been buying loads every year to finance school trips, they seem
to be brilliant the first year, then sparse. But after a few years
they come back alright.

-E