Old 04-04-2009, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default What not to plant

Ophelia writes
moghouse wrote:
The worst part of it was that I was aware of the toxicity, but forgot
for the brief instant I wiped my eyes. I would not have believed that
eye balls could swell!

I can believe it. I have the same reaction with sunflowers

My son has it with grass cuttings. Looks very scary, but subsides
quickly after an antihistamine tablet.

--
Kay
Old 04-04-2009, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

echinosum writes

But my predecessor in this house planted some bloody awful
stoloniferous Spiraea which grows like raspberries, spreads, and is
ineradicable.

I think I've go the same thing! Been trying to 'control' it for years,
and have decided total elimination is the only sensible possibility. And
now you tell me it's impossible :-(

And likewise a creeping Hypericum.

Not the big flowered Rose of Sharon? Been trying to remove that from a
japanese quince with no success.

Some giant cotoneaster thing which has had its
seeds spread everywhere by the birds and comes up as a weed all over
the place.

What about the small horizontal cotoneaster? Now covering a 30ft of
wall, all from one tiny plant, and a constant battle to keep it on the
wall and not have it ramping across the rest of the garden.

Of things I've planted myself, no mistakes quite that bad I think.

A creeping Euphorbia, spreads, but not too far.

cyparissifolia (or somesuch)? - really pretty, fine leaves, 6inch stems,
yellow 'flowers', but creeps underground and comes up everywhere? Or
robbiae which does the same, but in magnification?

--
Kay
Old 04-04-2009, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On the whole, I quite like the things that turn up
uninvited but I do remember someone here lamenting Alchemilla mollis at one
time.

Alchemilla mollis is one of our most invasive weeds - I heave out
armfuls of it along with the dandelions and willowherb. Herb Robert is a
pussycat by comparison.

I remember Cormaic noticing the price of a pot of Alechmilla for sale in
a nursery we were visiting and commenting 'in that case, my garden is
worth £20k'

--
Kay
Old 04-04-2009, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Ophelia writes
moghouse wrote:
The worst part of it was that I was aware of the toxicity, but
forgot for the brief instant I wiped my eyes. I would not have
believed that eye balls could swell!

I can believe it. I have the same reaction with sunflowers

My son has it with grass cuttings. Looks very scary, but subsides
quickly after an antihistamine tablet.

Thank goodness for antihistamines!!

Old 04-04-2009, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:
Sacha writes
On the whole, I quite like the things that turn up
uninvited but I do remember someone here lamenting Alchemilla mollis at one
time.

Alchemilla mollis is one of our most invasive weeds - I heave out
armfuls of it along with the dandelions and willowherb. Herb Robert is a
pussycat by comparison.

But it's not difficult - in the way that thistles, dockens, couch,
ground elder etc are.

I remember Cormaic noticing the price of a pot of Alechmilla for sale in
a nursery we were visiting and commenting 'in that case, my garden is
worth £20k'

Yes, I sell small plants for 10p a throw when there are a lot of them to
get rid of. Likewise priced are small Buddleia...

If I could get 10p a time for both of those, I could afford Campbelltown
Loch...

--
Rusty
Old 05-04-2009, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from K contains these words:
Sacha writes
On the whole, I quite like the things that turn up
uninvited but I do remember someone here lamenting Alchemilla mollis at one
time.

Alchemilla mollis is one of our most invasive weeds - I heave out
armfuls of it along with the dandelions and willowherb. Herb Robert is a
pussycat by comparison.

But it's not difficult - in the way that thistles, dockens, couch,
ground elder etc are.

It is! Miss a seedling and it puts down a long root, and has to be dug
out. Difficult when it gets in among other things. I suppose it's not as
bad as the things you list to get out, but it seeds itself around a lot
more, so you get it across the whole garden, not just in one
vegetatively-increasing patch.

--
Kay
Old 05-04-2009, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:

It is! Miss a seedling and it puts down a long root, and has to be dug
out. Difficult when it gets in among other things. I suppose it's not as
bad as the things you list to get out, but it seeds itself around a lot
more, so you get it across the whole garden, not just in one
vegetatively-increasing patch.

I get very few seedlings - I don't think I've found ten this year.

And yes, I do have some mature plants.

--
Rusty
Old 05-04-2009, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from K contains these words:

It is! Miss a seedling and it puts down a long root, and has to be dug
out. Difficult when it gets in among other things. I suppose it's not as
bad as the things you list to get out, but it seeds itself around a lot
more, so you get it across the whole garden, not just in one
vegetatively-increasing patch.

I get very few seedlings - I don't think I've found ten this year.

And yes, I do have some mature plants.

I haven't done a count, but gut feeling is that I get seedlings of
Alchemilla, dandelions, bittercress, willowherb and violets in roughly
equal proportions.
--
Kay
Old 06-04-2009, 07:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:

I haven't done a count, but gut feeling is that I get seedlings of
Alchemilla, dandelions, bittercress, willowherb and violets in roughly
equal proportions.

I have bittercress, some horrid poppy-like plant with small yellow
flowers and orange roots, nettle and black nightshade seedlings in
abundance.

A few violets, very few alchemilla, very few (greater) willowherb, and a
few dandelions appear in various places, but as I use the dandelions and
black nightshade, I'm not unhappy about those.

--
Rusty

Old 06-04-2009, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes

I haven't done a count, but gut feeling is that I get seedlings of
Alchemilla, dandelions, bittercress, willowherb and violets in roughly
equal proportions.

My FIL used to say that dandelions are attractive flowers.
You can eat the leaves too (I believe), so why doesn't everyone
cultivate them?
I can provide seeds.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 06-04-2009, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from K contains these words:

I haven't done a count, but gut feeling is that I get seedlings of
Alchemilla, dandelions, bittercress, willowherb and violets in roughly
equal proportions.

I have bittercress, some horrid poppy-like plant with small yellow
flowers

Greater celandine. Interesting sap colour. I don't have that. I have the
yellow Mecanopsis in abundance instead :-) (I don't pull those up)

and orange roots, nettle and black nightshade seedlings in
abundance.

A few violets, very few alchemilla, very few (greater) willowherb, and a
few dandelions appear in various places, but as I use the dandelions and
black nightshade, I'm not unhappy about those.

Can you use the dandelions in a mixed salad without blanching?
--
Kay
Old 06-04-2009, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

My FIL used to say that dandelions are attractive flowers.

But rather short in season.

You can eat the leaves too (I believe), so why doesn't everyone
cultivate them?

They're not also called '****-a-bed' for nothing.

The roots can be roasted to provide a coffee substitute, and this
powder, mixed with ground lightly-roasted pearl barley makes a passable
drink. (See previous paragraph.)

I can provide seeds.

Really?

How much per dozen?

--
Rusty
Old 06-04-2009, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from K contains these words:

I haven't done a count, but gut feeling is that I get seedlings of
Alchemilla, dandelions, bittercress, willowherb and violets in roughly
equal proportions.

I have bittercress, some horrid poppy-like plant with small yellow
flowers

Greater celandine.

Possibly. 'Orrible thing. Is it any use?

Interesting sap colour. I don't have that. I have the
yellow Mecanopsis in abundance instead :-) (I don't pull those up)

and orange roots, nettle and black nightshade seedlings in
abundance.

A few violets, very few alchemilla, very few (greater) willowherb, and a
few dandelions appear in various places, but as I use the dandelions and
black nightshade, I'm not unhappy about those.

Can you use the dandelions in a mixed salad without blanching?

Oh yes, I'm frightfully brave.

--
Rusty
Old 06-04-2009, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/4/09 19:29, in article ,
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote:

The message
from K contains these words:

snip Can you use the dandelions in a mixed salad without blanching?

Oh yes, I'm frightfully brave.

That, dear Rusty, is your best so far!

--
Sacha