Old 27-03-2009, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What not to plant

Pam Moore wrote:
Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Can't believe no one's mentioned mint. It broke out of a concrete
planter and was everywhere before we'd seen.

Marjoram is quite a pain in the herb bed.

Wormwood! If you let it seed.

-E
Old 27-03-2009, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/3/09 15:51, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

Bobbie wrote:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

Now Rusty about my blind daffodils?

Which blind daffodils?

I don't even know what they are - never even heard of them that I
unforget. I'm sure I haven't got any...

Three years ago I mass planted daffodil bulbs on every available space.
I also planted clumps of snowdrops in the green. The first year they
flowered fit to bust. It was a sight to warm the cockles of Wordsworth's
heart. Same with the snowdrops. This year in an area we affectionately
call the *wild garden* the daffodils once again flowered and some are
still flowering very well but in other areas I have just clumps of green
leaves, no flowers. In that same area, the snowdrops have multiplied and
flower prolifically. Have I mistakenly called these flowerless plants,
blind?
Why does this happen, and is there something I can do to make them
flower as before?

Three years isn't that long for them to need to be split, perhaps.

They're called blind, that's right.

Sometimes it seems now that daff bulbs "flower out" the first year,
then take a while to recover. Give 'em some wood ash, and let the
leaves go as long as possible.

We've been buying loads every year to finance school trips, they seem
to be brilliant the first year, then sparse. But after a few years
they come back alright.

-E

There's a particular disease daffs get that makes them blind. I can never
remember its name but it causes the leaves to start dying back almost as
soon as they're up. You see the browning at the tips. Consequently you get
very few flowers. Ray sprayed ours with something special (I'll try to
remember to get the name from him!) but I can't say it's had a massive
effect. Everything else under the tree is absolutely fine and flowers
wonderfully.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-03-2009, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emery Davis wrote:
Bobbie wrote:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
[...]

Well that sounds encouraging, especially since the thought of lifting
all those bulbs (there would be a lot) was exhausting. It did seem
strange that after carefully making sure the planting depth was uniform
all over, only to have some flower perfectly and others not at all.
Thank you, I think I will take your advice and feed them and let the
leaves go on producing the nutrients.

Bobbie
Old 27-03-2009, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emery Davis wrote:
Pam Moore wrote:
Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Can't believe no one's mentioned mint. It broke out of a concrete
planter and was everywhere before we'd seen.

Marjoram is quite a pain in the herb bed.

Wormwood! If you let it seed.

-E

I also didn't mention Bowle's golden grass, but for very good reason.
Having started my gardening days brought up on Margery Fish I planted
just one plant of BGG. Now I have little golden seedlings popping up
every where, and I save each and everyone. I love it and I love the
dried seed heads.
Sorry it would never qualify for addition to my list of plants not to
plant, on the contrary.
I do agree about mint though, the idea is not to ever let it escape its
planter.

Bobbie

Old 27-03-2009, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

Horseradish isn't too kind either.
I wonder why it's called that? Horses hate the stuff.

Horse = coarse.

OK, I'll say it before martin does - horses for coarses.

--
Rusty
Old 27-03-2009, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Emery Davis contains these words:
Pam Moore wrote:

Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Can't believe no one's mentioned mint. It broke out of a concrete
planter and was everywhere before we'd seen.

Marjoram is quite a pain in the herb bed.

Pain in the - oh, herb bed...

--
Rusty
Old 27-03-2009, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Pam in Bristol

Some mixed alliums that we grew from seed - of which one small white
flowered type is trying to take over. Ranunculus ficaria Brazen Hussy
is getting a bit threatening especially as some seedlings seem to be
reverting to green.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 28-03-2009, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Emery Davis
writes
Pam Moore wrote:
Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!
What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Can't believe no one's mentioned mint. It broke out of a concrete
planter and was everywhere before we'd seen.

Tell me!
When I mow the lawn I enjoy the fresh minty odour wafting up.
I thought a line of bricks would hold it back.

One small root carried home from a walk in the Yorkshire Dales...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 28-03-2009, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
In message , Emery Davis
writes
Pam Moore wrote:
Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!
What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Can't believe no one's mentioned mint. It broke out of a concrete
planter and was everywhere before we'd seen.

Tell me!
When I mow the lawn I enjoy the fresh minty odour wafting up.
I thought a line of bricks would hold it back.

One small root carried home from a walk in the Yorkshire Dales...

Will we never learn...

Actually that's the upside of the mint, I really enjoy mowing and
strimming it. Now if only it would stay out of the beds.

-E

Old 28-03-2009, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/3/09 15:38, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:
snip

Actually that's the upside of the mint, I really enjoy mowing and
strimming it. Now if only it would stay out of the beds.

-E

I used to grow it in large pots but even then, if a little baby rootlet
finds its way out of the pot and into a cracked flagstone, you've had it!

Old 28-03-2009, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

Can't believe no one's mentioned mint. It broke out of a concrete
planter and was everywhere before we'd seen.

Tell me!
When I mow the lawn I enjoy the fresh minty odour wafting up.
I thought a line of bricks would hold it back.

incredulity

And didn't it?

/incredulity

--
Rusty
Old 29-03-2009, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

Can't believe no one's mentioned mint. It broke out of a concrete
planter and was everywhere before we'd seen.

Tell me!
When I mow the lawn I enjoy the fresh minty odour wafting up.
I thought a line of bricks would hold it back.

incredulity

And didn't it?

/incredulity

A frayed knot. The mint must have roots or something. Baffling...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 30-03-2009, 09:44 AM
may may is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore[_2_] View Post
Over the years I have planted bits of plants I liked the look of, but
have regretted ever since because they spred and are the devil to get
rid of. My invaders are corydalis lutea, vinca minor, meconopsis
cambrica and a lamium. This latter came about 20 years ago as a 9
inch piece stolen from a big garden!

What plants have others regretted introducing into their gardens?

Pam in Bristol
not so much a regret,
but some lily of the valley some how arrived in my front garden , i didnt plant it , but it has been spreading over the last 4 years , and i am really pleased that it has ,because i was stuck what to put in that patch that gets no sun and the soil is like builders sand.
it is really great ground cover , and when i get out of the car on the front drive the smell of lily of the valley is just great .

i love it so much that when i went to the malvern flower show last year, i got myself a varigated leaved one .

i have put that one in my back garden and i am hoping it will come back again this year , i am not sure but i think i might just be able to see a little bit of new shoot coming through , so i hope that varigated one does as well as the one in the front garden .
Old 30-03-2009, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 16:21:16 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

We have woodruff in many parts of the garden but I really love it. I think
it could be a pain in places where others things have to fight with it,
though.

Yes, I should have mentioned that, too. I planted a bit which a
friend gave me and have been trying to get rid of it ever since!

Pam in Bristol