Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default For those growing their own pesto

Here's the way to grow the pasta to go with it. Apologies - meant to post
this yesterday. ;-))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyUvN...eature=related
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-04-2009, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/4/09 10:10, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:29:58 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Here's the way to grow the pasta to go with it. Apologies - meant to post
this yesterday. ;-))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyUvN...eature=related

and this too
http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/...ull.5121670.jp

I got: Sorry there was an error accessing the page you requested.
There was either an error creating the page, or it could not be found.
If you were looking for a particular section please select it from the
directory below. Alternatively, use the search.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

The site works for me.

Major plan to harness gull power at special Cargo Shed sanctuary -
WHAT DO YOU
THINK?

I think it was published to coincide with All Fools' Day...

--
Rusty
Old 02-04-2009, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/4/09 10:47, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 10:13:59 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 2/4/09 10:10, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:29:58 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Here's the way to grow the pasta to go with it. Apologies - meant to post
this yesterday. ;-))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyUvN...eature=related

and this too
http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/...ull.5121670.jp

I got: Sorry there was an error accessing the page you requested.
There was either an error creating the page, or it could not be found.
If you were looking for a particular section please select it from the
directory below. Alternatively, use the search.

It must be made for people with real PCs )

Poor benighted souls.

The site works for me.

Major plan to harness gull power at special Cargo Shed sanctuary - WHAT DO YOU
THINK?
Published Date: 31 March 2009
By Staff Copy
AN AMBITIOUS plan to harness one of Whitby's huge untapped natural resources
has
been formulated, the Whitby Gazette can reveal exclusively.
Many regard the thousands of seagulls over the town as nothing but a nuisance.
snip

Priceless! I'd love to see the letters to the editor page!

Old 02-04-2009, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Here's the way to grow the pasta to go with it. Apologies - meant to post
this yesterday. ;-))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyUvN...eature=related

Thanks for that, Sacha. I heard about it at the time but have never
seen it. It was before the days of BBC iPlayer!
It was Richard Dimbleby, wasn't it, and I think on Panorama, on April
1st. One of the best All Fool's Day stunts ever done.

Pam in Bristol

Old 02-04-2009, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Here's the way to grow the pasta to go with it. Apologies - meant to post
this yesterday. ;-))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyUvN...eature=related

Thanks for that, Sacha. I heard about it at the time but have never
seen it. It was before the days of BBC iPlayer!
It was Richard Dimbleby, wasn't it, and I think on Panorama, on April
1st. One of the best All Fool's Day stunts ever done.

Pam in Bristol

Yes, Richard Dimbleby - founder of the dynasty. ;-) I think it was
probably Panorama and I just about remember the original showing and the
amusement it caused at the time. This was in the days when the British
travelled little, didn't eat pasta and bought olive oil in tiny bottles from
Boots, but only for medicinal purposes!

Old 02-04-2009, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Aries wrote:
On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:29:58 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Here's the way to grow the pasta to go with it. Apologies - meant
to post this yesterday. ;-))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyUvN...eature=related

ROFL! In the depths of my memory I seem to remember seeing the
original lol Oooops !

I certainly did

Old 02-04-2009, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 2, 9:29*am, Sacha wrote:
Here's the way to grow the pasta to go with it. *Apologies - meant to post
this yesterday. *;-))http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyUvN...eature=related
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I laughed so much I hurt, Edward said he had seen it before but if I
have, I have forgotten.

Judith
Old 02-04-2009, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Apr 2, 9:29 am, Sacha wrote:
Here's the way to grow the pasta to go with it. Apologies - meant to post
this yesterday.
;-))http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyUvN...eature=related
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I laughed so much I hurt, Edward said he had seen it before but if I
have, I have forgotten.

Judith

I remember seeing the original broadcast on "Panorama". It fooled some of
my Father's workmen, but then, they had had very little education having
left the village school at 14, and even Heinz tinned spaghetti was probably
"that foreign muck", to be eaten on toast.
Graham

Old 02-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin[_2_] View Post

wrote:

[...]

But a leading bird expert has come up with a scheme that could revolutionise how
we view the screeching rodents of the skies.

Prof Herbert Brain believes that setting up a seagull sanctuary could be the
first step in actually training the birds so they can become useful.

And he believes the ideal location would be the old Cargo Shed on Endeavour
Wharf.

Prof Brain plans to name the facility the Fully Operational Ornithological
Liaison centre for Seagulls.

"People all too often dismiss our feathered friends as flying rats or vermin,"
he said.

"And the gulls do not help themselves by swooping down and stealing things like
fish and chips from people's hands.

"We have heard of instances of other items, such as cigarettes, burgers and even
wigs being grabbed.

"But I believe in the power of positive rehabilitation. With treatment and
training, these soaring scavengers can be given a useful role in our society."

He is now pulling together a team of RSPB volunteers, social workers and
behavioural scientists in a bid to get his pioneering scheme off the ground.

And Heather the one-legged seagull who has taken up residence outside the
Dolphin Hotel could be one of the first to benefit.

They want to use the mis-named male bird as a role model for their scheme, which
could see gulls transforming their image – and transforming the local streets at
the same time.

"We want to train the gulls to pick up litter rather than just grab anything
they see. And with the right training we believe we can get them to do this,"
said Prof Brain.

"Heather will be our mascot and hopefully our first success."

He said they were also keen to find a way of utilitising the huge amount of
seagull droppings that currently coat many residents' cars.

"We believe we can find some sort of fuel use for the poop.

"In the meantime though, we plan to train the gulls so they only do their
business once they have flown south of Robin Hood's Bay."

The plans are due to be announced by the chairman of the scheme, Swedish
ornithologist Olaf Ripol, at a special press conference at noon tomorrow – 1
April.

You can see more coverage on the story at our website www.whitbygazette.co.uk
from that time."
--

Martin
No doubt the same scientists as came up with plans to harness fish movement to generate electricity, put forward by the Insitut du Poisson d'Avril..

Old 02-04-2009, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 10:52:47 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:
The message
from Martin contains these words:

The site works for me.

Major plan to harness gull power at special Cargo Shed sanctuary -
WHAT DO YOU
THINK?

I think it was published to coincide with All Fools' Day...

On 31 March? Are you kidding?

Fools march on...

--
Rusty
Old 02-04-2009, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Aries contains these words:
On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 09:23:14 -0600, graham wrote:

I remember seeing the original broadcast on "Panorama". It fooled
some of
my Father's workmen, but then, they had had very little education having
left the village school at 14, and even Heinz tinned spaghetti was
probably
"that foreign muck", to be eaten on toast.
Graham

You, Ophelia and I must be soooo old to have remembered that

Me-me-me-me-me miss! I remember it too - but since we'd had an Italian
au pair I knew about pasta, olive oil, extra v of that ilk, and other
things besides, and we had a giggle, and didn't expect anyone would be
fooled.

In that, we were fooled...

I still molish a mean risotto more-or-less to her recipe.

--
Rusty
Old 02-04-2009, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/4/09 15:34, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Apr 2, 9:29*am, Sacha wrote:
Here's the way to grow the pasta to go with it. *Apologies - meant to post
this yesterday.
*;-))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyUvN...eature=related
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I laughed so much I hurt, Edward said he had seen it before but if I
have, I have forgotten.

Judith

It's a classic of its time and it's gone down in the annals of broadcasting
history. I'm not sure that TV programmes 'did' public leg pulling before
that!

Old 02-04-2009, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Aries" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 09:23:14 -0600, graham wrote:

I remember seeing the original broadcast on "Panorama". It fooled some
of
my Father's workmen, but then, they had had very little education having
left the village school at 14, and even Heinz tinned spaghetti was
probably
"that foreign muck", to be eaten on toast.
Graham

You, Ophelia and I must be soooo old to have remembered that
--

I've just applied to become an OAP{;-(
Graham