Old 19-04-2009, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mushy Pea Seeds

On 30th March, when the soil was nicely warmed, I planted
a couple of rows of peas into a raised bed warmed by a
fleece cloche. I watered them copiously as recommended cos
the peas are dried and need to dehydrate.
Now three weeks later only 10% germination.

Digging down I find that the pea seeds have swollen into
blobs of green slime.

Is this a common problem? What should I do differently? I
have had no problems the last two years with a different
variety from a different supplier.

thanks

DAvy
Old 19-04-2009, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Davy wrote:
On 30th March, when the soil was nicely warmed, I planted
a couple of rows of peas into a raised bed warmed by a
fleece cloche. I watered them copiously as recommended cos
the peas are dried and need to dehydrate.
Now three weeks later only 10% germination.

Digging down I find that the pea seeds have swollen into
blobs of green slime.

Is this a common problem? What should I do differently? I
have had no problems the last two years with a different
variety from a different supplier.

thanks

DAvy

Overwatering? I sowed mine in damp soil, lightly watered every other day or
so if the soil looked dry. 100% germination.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 19-04-2009, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:48:39 -0500, Davy
wrote:

On 30th March, when the soil was nicely warmed, I planted
a couple of rows of peas into a raised bed warmed by a
fleece cloche. I watered them copiously as recommended cos
the peas are dried and need to dehydrate.
Now three weeks later only 10% germination.

Digging down I find that the pea seeds have swollen into
blobs of green slime.

Is this a common problem? What should I do differently? I
have had no problems the last two years with a different
variety from a different supplier.

I think you are cooking them!
Once they have been rehydrated you can leave off with the watering,
and you can take off the fleece on warm days to let in some fresh air
and stop them getting too hot.
Old 19-04-2009, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Davy" wrote
On 30th March, when the soil was nicely warmed, I planted
a couple of rows of peas into a raised bed warmed by a
fleece cloche. I watered them copiously as recommended cos
the peas are dried and need to dehydrate.
Now three weeks later only 10% germination.

Digging down I find that the pea seeds have swollen into
blobs of green slime.

Is this a common problem? What should I do differently? I
have had no problems the last two years with a different
variety from a different supplier.

When I started reading this I thought "another person with a mouse problem"
but no, you either water too much or have naff seed, the latter being my
preference.
We plant in 6 inch wide drills that are watered, the seed is then covered
and left without any more watering until it germinates (or the mice dig it
all up).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-04-2009, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Davy" wrote in message
. 109.145...
On 30th March, when the soil was nicely warmed, I planted
a couple of rows of peas into a raised bed warmed by a
fleece cloche. I watered them copiously as recommended cos
the peas are dried and need to dehydrate.
Now three weeks later only 10% germination.

Digging down I find that the pea seeds have swollen into
blobs of green slime.

Is this a common problem? What should I do differently? I
have had no problems the last two years with a different
variety from a different supplier.

thanks

DAvy

I'm no expert on peas but have a similar tale to tell.

Greenshaft and Onwards were sown in cold beds, no fleece, only
sporadic watering and 100% germination after 14 days.

Snap pea Jessie, cold bed, 100% germination, warm pot, green mush
after 3-4 weeks.

The pot included a very rich compost, the bed a poor clay with some
mushroom compost dug in.

It seems that once the soil has warmed, a certain amount of abuse
helps!

TJ

Old 21-04-2009, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message . 145
from Davy contains these words:

On 30th March, when the soil was nicely warmed, I planted
a couple of rows of peas into a raised bed warmed by a
fleece cloche. I watered them copiously as recommended cos
the peas are dried and need to dehydrate.
Now three weeks later only 10% germination.

Digging down I find that the pea seeds have swollen into
blobs of green slime.

Is this a common problem? What should I do differently? I
have had no problems the last two years with a different
variety from a different supplier.

Soak peas.

Put in container of moist compost in a warm plave.

They will shoot in less than a week, if memory serves.

Plant when they have put down a quarter-inch or so of root.

--
Rusty
Old 22-04-2009, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote in
. uk:

Soak peas.

Put in container of moist compost in a warm plave.

They will shoot in less than a week, if memory serves.

Plant when they have put down a quarter-inch or so of

root.

Rusty,
why not soak the peas and plant straight into the ground?
DAvy
Old 22-04-2009, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message . 145
from Davy contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge wrote in
. uk:

Soak peas.

Put in container of moist compost in a warm plave.

They will shoot in less than a week, if memory serves.

Plant when they have put down a quarter-inch or so of

root.

Rusty,
why not soak the peas and plant straight into the ground?

In a word - mice.

--
Rusty

Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
Mushy Agapanthus Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 13 28-02-2009 10:21 PM
Mushy Peaches do not spam Gardening 12 14-08-2004 04:39 PM
Mushy Peaches do not spam Edible Gardening 12 14-08-2004 04:39 PM
mushy psuedobulbs on a miltonia Diane Mancino Orchids 0 27-04-2003 04:20 PM