Old 04-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Gloucester
Default Apologies (weedkiller)

Sorry but i can't read my 'Weedkiller & Pets' thread, it keeps coming up with the 'what's my tree?' posts, mixed in with the 'winter kill' posts... would somebody be so kind as to cut & paste the 'Weedkiller & Pets' replies here? I know it's asking alot but I don't know how else to read the replies
Old 05-05-2009, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Candy writes

Sorry but i can't read my 'Weedkiller & Pets' thread, it keeps coming up
with the 'what's my tree?' posts, mixed in with the 'winter kill'
posts... would somebody be so kind as to cut & paste the 'Weedkiller &
Pets' replies here? I know it's asking alot but I don't know how else
to read the replies

I can't recall seeing your 'weedkiller and pets' query and it certainly
isn't showing on my newsreader. Suggest you re-post the question.

--
Kay
Old 05-05-2009, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
.................................................. ..............
"K" wrote in message
Candy writes

Sorry but i can't read my 'Weedkiller & Pets' thread, it keeps coming up
with the 'what's my tree?' posts, mixed in with the 'winter kill'
posts... would somebody be so kind as to cut & paste the 'Weedkiller &
Pets' replies here? I know it's asking alot but I don't know how else
to read the replies

I can't recall seeing your 'weedkiller and pets' query and it certainly
isn't showing on my newsreader. Suggest you re-post the question.

--
Kay

Kay, posted on Gardenbanter and you know how that site is hated here :-((

Mike

Old 05-05-2009, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 4 May 2009 22:21:35 +0100, Candy
wrote:

Sorry but i can't read my 'Weedkiller & Pets' thread, it keeps coming up
with the 'what's my tree?' posts, mixed in with the 'winter kill'
posts... would somebody be so kind as to cut & paste the 'Weedkiller &
Pets' replies here? I know it's asking alot but I don't know how else
to read the replies

Its probably because you are using Gardenbanter and it has lost your
thread. You would be better off using a proper newsreader and going
direct to uk.rec.gardening. You probably have Outlook Express on your
PC - you could try that.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Registered User

Location: Gloucester

How bizarre! OK here's what i posted:

I've never used weedkiller before but am needing to now as our garden is overgrown with all sorts including bindweed & ground elder... it's all growing through membrane under the stones that the management agency put down a couple of years ago.
The girl upstairs has a dog. For using glycophosate the manufacturers say it's safe for pets as soon as it's dry but I wanted to make doubly sure... also I don't know the best time of year to use it - would early summer be suitable? Also how would it affect the birds & other widlife, and as my potted plants are near do they have to be well out the way to avoid contamination?

Old 05-05-2009, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Candy wrote:
Sorry but i can't read my 'Weedkiller & Pets' thread, it keeps coming up
with the 'what's my tree?' posts, mixed in with the 'winter kill'
posts... would somebody be so kind as to cut & paste the 'Weedkiller &
Pets' replies here? I know it's asking alot but I don't know how else
to read the replies

I can't see your post about weedkiller either in here or in the google
archive. Did you post with the same address
??

Bob
Old 05-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Gloucester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Minchin View Post
[/i][/color]
I can't see your post about weedkiller either in here or in the google
archive. Did you post with the same address
??

Bob
Don't know what that address is Bob, now I'm confused, are some forums/sites linked then and should I be posting on somewhere else for better results?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Candy writes

I've never used weedkiller before but am needing to now as our garden
is overgrown with all sorts including bindweed & ground elder... it's
all growing through membrane under the stones that the management
agency put down a couple of years ago.
The girl upstairs has a dog. For using glycophosate

Glyphosate?

the manufacturers
say it's safe for pets as soon as it's dry but I wanted to make doubly
sure... also I don't know the best time of year to use it - would early
summer be suitable?

It works by being absorbed by the plant and disrupting its growth
patterns. So the best time to use it is when the plant you want rid of
is growing rapidly. It takes about 2 weeks to show any effect at all -
before that time the plants seem to be growing absolutely normally.

Also how would it affect the birds & other widlife,
and as my potted plants are near do they have to be well out the way to
avoid contamination?

Yes. But if you contaminate by mistake, wash immediately with lots and
lots of water, and you may be OK.

Spray on a day with no wind, and use a coarser spray rather than a finer
one which is more likely to drift. Or use a watering can with a
sprinkler bar.

For safety's sake, best not to use the watering can you use for
weedkiller for anything else. Buy one in a different colour from your
other ones, and use some old gloss paint to put a bg warning mark on it.

--
Kay
Old 05-05-2009, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Candy writes

Bob Minchin;842870 Wrote:

I can't see your post about weedkiller either in here or in the google

archive. Did you post with the same address
??

Bob

Don't know what that address is Bob, now I'm confused, are some
forums/sites linked then and should I be posting on somewhere else for
better results?
[/i][/color]
As it says in the 'small print' on gardenbanter, gardenbanter is simply
a gateway to various internet newsgroups, including this one,
uk.rec.gardening, which has been running since the early 90's (ie 10
years or so longer than gardenbanter).

Most of us post direct to uk.rec.gardening

--
Kay
Old 06-05-2009, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Candy writes

Thankyou all for your help here, I'm going to swap sites now!! I'm not
usually one to read the small print so I appreciate your pointing it
out

Newsgroups are a different part of the internet, they are not websites.
If you want to read them directly (and the choice runs into the
thousands if not 10s of thousands) you need to install newsreader
software. Mine comes free with my ISP, but there are other free ones
available - others here will be able to advise.

The advantage of using newsreading software and reading the newsgroups
direct is that the articles are threaded correctly. Instead of all the
articles within one thread being listed one after another in date order.
They are threaded so if B and C reply to A, then D replies to B and E
replies to D, while F replies to C, the newsreader will present them to
you in order A,B.D,E,C,F - ie all the way down one argument before
moving across to the next - less confusing than the dodging about of
gardenbanter.

Newsreaders also give you options for 'killfiling' - so you can elect
not to see any more posts in a particular thread, or any more posts from
a particular individual. Very useful for dealing with the various
off-topic posts or posters that pop up now and again. And there are
other advantages like more choices on how the threads are laid out.

--
Kay