Old 07-05-2009, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lily of the valley and Japanese anenome

On Wed, 6 May 2009 19:47:52 +0100, beccabunga
wrote:

'bob[_1_ Wrote:
;843061']A little while ago a friend told me he was having trouble
establishing
LotV in his garden (like me he's a beginner) and it was only after
reading up recently that I've discovered how invasive this plant can
be.

Now I'm beginning to harbour similar qualms about JA which seems to be
spreading out on all sides with gleeful haste.

Do these propogate themselves in a similar fashion - as I understand
it through a network of rhizomes?

Is there a tried and tested way of keeping these under control?

Thanks for any advice

Lily of the Valley is picky about where it settles, and I tend to leave
it be. If it interferes with something else, then hefty digging out of
roots is the only solution I have found - and it immediately sits up
and says "Thanks - lovely soft bed for me".

Japanese anemone is intolerable! I dug it all out of a largish bed, and
am still digging out little offsets. But apart from weedkiller this is
the only way I know to get rid of it. The white one seems less invasive
than the basic pink.

thanks for adding. I'd like to keep these two plants and on balance
that's what I'll do until my feelings towards them change. I've no
idea how these got in my garden but others' lack of success with LotV
in the face of heroic effort has modified my view of them.

Now you mention it, i've precious few white JAs, mostly pink.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 6 May 2009 beccabunga wrote:

Lily of the Valley is picky about where it settles, and I tend to leave
it be. If it interferes with something else, then hefty digging out of
roots is the only solution I have found - and it immediately sits up
and says "Thanks - lovely soft bed for me".

I, too, have had Lily of the Valley. In some gardens it thrives, in
others it dies. Haven't found out why.

In the garden in front of our house in Normandy it thrives in spite of
the fact that there is little depth of earth and the builders left it a
year or so ago in a pile of rubble. But it won't grow here in Reading.

Another plant that seems to be temperamental is Japanese Wineberry. It
will grow anywhere I put it in England but I cannot get it to take in
Normandy despite several attempts. And I particularly like the
Wineberry, not because of its beauty but because it is a kind of family
heirloom. What I've got at the moment is descended from a layer taken
from an uncle's garden back in the 1920s.

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 07-05-2009, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes

"'Mike'" wrote after "Bob Hobden" wrote
"Sacha" wrote
I've yet to get LotV to grow successfully in any garden I have ever had
and by now, that's quite a few!

Thank goodness for that I thought it was just me.

Is it the variety? Lilly of the Valley grows as a weed in our garden and
is creeping across the gavel path

I doubt it, more likely the plant has some specific needs/wants that it
doesn't get in our garden. Not having to compete is one possibility.

very strong possibility I suspect. Ours is not doing well against
celandine, but it lovers all those bare bits under trees where nothing
else will grow.
--
Kay
Old 07-05-2009, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 09:09:08 +0100, David Rance
said:

[...]

I'd never heard of this but it looks - and sounds - lovely:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening...wineberry.html

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 07-05-2009, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Bob Hobden writes

"'Mike'" wrote after "Bob Hobden" wrote
"Sacha" wrote
I've yet to get LotV to grow successfully in any garden I have ever
had
and by now, that's quite a few!

Thank goodness for that I thought it was just me.

Is it the variety? Lilly of the Valley grows as a weed in our garden and
is creeping across the gavel path

I doubt it, more likely the plant has some specific needs/wants that it
doesn't get in our garden. Not having to compete is one possibility.

very strong possibility I suspect. Ours is not doing well against
celandine, but it lovers all those bare bits under trees where nothing
else will grow.

Hmm, I wonder. Perhaps needs acid soil?

We have both pink and white, grows very enthusiastically in a bed
stuffed with other stuff: honesty, colombine, geraniums, roses, etc.
It is basically a weed in the fuschia.

Oddly we have both pink and white Japanese anenome also, but it stays
put pretty much.

-E

Old 07-05-2009, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 06 May 2009 23:29:54 +0100, Jim Newman
wrote:

'Mike' wrote:
friend of ours has a narrow border in a lot of sun and it is full of LotV
which is now migrating across the path and threatening an assault through
her front door and up the stairs, as far as I can see. She does nothing
to them but enjoy them!
--

??????????????

How odd, when I say it, it is lies!!!!

Kindest possible regards

Mike

With all respect Mike, but what you said was
"Lily of the Valley grows anywhere and anyone can grow it", which is
very different to the message in Sasha's post.

I think you owe the group an apology.

I'm sure you are right Jim, but you have used two words that he
doesn't understand -- "respect" and "apology". In his bitter, twisted
old mind there is no room for any opinion except his own.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Japanese Wineberry (was Lily of the valley and Japanese anemone)

On Thu, 7 May 2009 Sacha wrote:

Another plant that seems to be temperamental is Japanese Wineberry.
It will grow anywhere I put it in England but I cannot get it to take
in Normandy despite several attempts. And I particularly like the
Wineberry, not because of its beauty but because it is a kind of
family heirloom. What I've got at the moment is descended from a layer
taken from an uncle's garden back in the 1920s.

I'd never heard of this but it looks - and sounds - lovely:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening...-to-grow-Japan
ese-wineberry.html

Yes, I've seen that article before. I remember it because the picture is
wrong! What they've illustrated is not Rubus phoenicolasius but looks
more like redcurrant! And I would say that it is more akin to the
blackberry than the raspberry in that one propagates by layering. Yes,
it's dead easy to grow - but only if it likes your soil. I've kept it
going over 44 years and five houses in Britain but the one place I can't
get it going is in Normandy.

It is lovely to look at. The berries are pleasant but without much
character. They look nice in a fruit salad. But they don't cook well.
And they don't even make a decent wine!

I've left it to its own devices for some years now and it just keeps
going here in Reading but I think I'll have to do some more layering.
I'll let you have one if I'm successful.

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 07-05-2009, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
wrote:

'Mike' wrote:
[...]

:-)) I trust you feel better now having got that off your chest :-)

Do have a nice day

Next evil tongued comment please. (Did you note the "Please"?). ...... :-))

Kindest possible regards

Mike

Old 07-05-2009, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 7 May 2009 David Rance wrote:

What they've illustrated is not Rubus phoenicolasius but looks more
like redcurrant!

No, no, no! The leaves are wrong for redcurrant! But the berries do look
like redcurrant. Wineberry berries are smallish like a wild blackberry,
orange rather than red like a raspberry, and shiny.

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 07-05-2009, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Emery Davis writes
K wrote:
Bob Hobden writes

"'Mike'" wrote after "Bob Hobden" wrote
"Sacha" wrote
I've yet to get LotV to grow successfully in any garden I have
had
and by now, that's quite a few!

Thank goodness for that I thought it was just me.

Is it the variety? Lilly of the Valley grows as a weed in our garden and
is creeping across the gavel path

I doubt it, more likely the plant has some specific needs/wants that it
doesn't get in our garden. Not having to compete is one possibility.

very strong possibility I suspect. Ours is not doing well against
celandine, but it lovers all those bare bits under trees where nothing
else will grow.

Hmm, I wonder. Perhaps needs acid soil?

No - it grows on limestone pavements with very little soil cover.

--
Kay

Old 07-05-2009, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-07 11:09:25 +0100, David Rance
said:

On Thu, 7 May 2009 David Rance wrote:

What they've illustrated is not Rubus phoenicolasius but looks more
like redcurrant!

No, no, no! The leaves are wrong for redcurrant! But the berries do
look like redcurrant. Wineberry berries are smallish like a wild
blackberry, orange rather than red like a raspberry, and shiny.

David

Found this:
http://www.british-wild-flowers.co.u...nicolasius.htm

Old 07-05-2009, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 7 May 2009 Sacha wrote:

What they've illustrated is not Rubus phoenicolasius but looks more
like redcurrant!

No, no, no! The leaves are wrong for redcurrant! But the berries do
look like redcurrant. Wineberry berries are smallish like a wild
blackberry, orange rather than red like a raspberry, and shiny.

Found this:
http://www.british-wild-flowers.co.u...nicolasius.htm

Ah yes, that's more like it. :-)

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 07-05-2009, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Emery Davis writes

[]
Hmm, I wonder. Perhaps needs acid soil?

No - it grows on limestone pavements with very little soil cover.

Hi K,

I guess it's not that fussy about pH, then. Where it's growing
the soil pH is 4.6!

-E
Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

'Mike' wrote:
friend of ours has a narrow border in a lot of sun and it is full of LotV
which is now migrating across the path and threatening an assault through
her front door and up the stairs, as far as I can see. She does nothing
to them but enjoy them!
--

??????????????

How odd, when I say it, it is lies!!!!

Kindest possible regards

Mike

With all respect Mike, but what you said was
"Lily of the Valley grows anywhere and anyone can grow it", which is
very different to the message in Sasha's post.

I think you owe the group an apology.

I'm sure you are right Jim, but you have used two words that he
doesn't understand -- "respect" and "apology". In his bitter, twisted
old mind there is no room for any opinion except his own.

Fuschia (sic), what a shame you couldn't control your incontinence.

By responding as you did you have gave Mike an excuse not to apologise
as he really knows he ought; and as I was confidently expecting he would
given his respect for manners and etiquette.

I confidently await Mike's apologies for his inappropriate response to
the previous post.

Come on Mike, do what you know is right. . .

Old 08-05-2009, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
wrote:

'Mike' wrote:
[...]

Yes me, like others, I am always right in what I say

Kindest possible regards

Mike
ps, want to come and see my Lily of the Valley growing like weeds?

Mona Lisa Solid Scarlet Poppy Flowered Anenome Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 1 30-05-2009 12:20 AM
Lily of the valley and Hellebora scott United Kingdom 3 29-05-2005 08:59 PM
Lily of the Valley Gardening 13 25-05-2004 02:03 AM
Lily of the Valley 'pips'? Frogleg Gardening 4 26-04-2004 08:04 PM
Lily of the Valley Leslie Stringer United Kingdom 16 30-09-2003 08:13 PM