Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Horse tail advice

I am beginning to think that it is pointless giving sensible advice on
this group.I gave some quite sensible advice a few postings ago,and
the majority of the replies were quite frivolous and pointless.If
anyone suffers horsetail infestation,then they need serious advice to
get it eradicated.
Michael
Old 08-05-2009, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
michael writes
I am beginning to think that it is pointless giving sensible advice on
this group.I gave some quite sensible advice a few postings ago,and
the majority of the replies were quite frivolous and pointless.

Quite right! I don't know too much about horse tail except to keep
clear of the hindquarters of a horse with a red ribbon tied round its
tail.
In gymkhana tradition it means that it is a "kicker".

To be more serious, as a child I used to disassemble horse tail weed,
and was always frustrated that I could never re-assemble it
satisfactorily.
Has anyone found the secret?

Well, - it's been a slow day for me...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 08-05-2009, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-08, michael wrote:
I am beginning to think that it is pointless giving sensible advice on
this group.I gave some quite sensible advice a few postings ago,and
the majority of the replies were quite frivolous and pointless.If
anyone suffers horsetail infestation,then they need serious advice to
get it eradicated.

I found your advice useful, even if I didn't comment on it. I don't
currently suffer from this particular weed (Got enough on my hands with
the convolvulus problem thankyouverymuch!) but I did squirrel the advice
away for later use.

If the past 14 years on usenet have taught me anything, it's that good
advice is always appreciated by someone even if it doesn't always prompt
sensible replies.

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com
Old 08-05-2009, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 8, 2:22*pm, michael wrote:
I am beginning to think that it is pointless giving sensible advice on
this group.I gave some quite sensible advice a few postings ago,and
the majority of the replies were quite frivolous and pointless.If
anyone suffers horsetail infestation,then they need serious advice to
get it eradicated.
Michael

Have you thought about an appeal? You could appeal to Mike the Troll,
he has very little appeal.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

michael writes
I am beginning to think that it is pointless giving sensible advice on
this group.I gave some quite sensible advice a few postings ago,and
the majority of the replies were quite frivolous and pointless.If
anyone suffers horsetail infestation,then they need serious advice to
get it eradicated.

This is not a Citizens' Advice Bureau, it is a group for the discussion
of gardening in the UK. So the talk does get frivolous or drift off
topic. That's what newsgroups are about.

--
Kay

Old 08-05-2009, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

michael wrote:
I am beginning to think that it is pointless giving sensible advice on
this group.I gave some quite sensible advice a few postings ago,and
the majority of the replies were quite frivolous and pointless.If
anyone suffers horsetail infestation,then they need serious advice to
get it eradicated.
Michael

Actually Michael, I took on board your comments. I posted back asking how
the wallpaper paste helped the Glyphosate penetrate the waxy surface of
Horse tail. Don't recall seeing a reply?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 09-05-2009, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 9, 12:57*am, Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
..
.............. * Hey, it's the weekend, time to have fun in the garden!!

I'd love to, Anne, but there is all that mowing, weeding, digging and
planting to do!

Old 09-05-2009, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-08 22:31:47 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On May 8, 9:01*pm, K wrote:
michael writes

I am beginning to think that it is pointless giving sensible advice on
this group.I gave some quite sensible advice a few postings ago,and
the majority of the replies were quite frivolous and pointless.If
anyone suffers horsetail infestation,then they need serious advice to
get it eradicated.

This is not a Citizens' Advice Bureau, it is a group for the discussion
of gardening in the UK. So the talk does get frivolous or drift off
topic. That's what newsgroups are about.

--
Kay

Right on Kay.

Judith

And how!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 09-05-2009, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 9, 5:40*pm, Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
moghouse wrote:
Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:

........ * Hey, it's the weekend, time to have fun in the garden!!

I'd love to, Anne, but there is all that mowing, weeding, digging and
planting to do!

You don't have any five-month-old puppies to help?

That's what makes it such fun! *G

Three grandsons under 5 can be quite diverting too, particularly at my
advanced years.

Old 22-05-2009, 01:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
michael wrote:

I am beginning to think that it is pointless giving sensible advice on
this group.I gave some quite sensible advice a few postings ago,and
the majority of the replies were quite frivolous and pointless.If
anyone suffers horsetail infestation,then they need serious advice to
get it eradicated.
Michael

Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps you take yourself too seriously?

Lots of good advice is posted here, and is not always acknowledged,
but that doesn't mean that it's unheeded - and yes, we sometimes
become a bit "frivolous and pointless" into the bargain. That's what
happens in newsgroups. If you stick around for long enough you
might even feel inclined to join in the frivolity. Hey, it's the
weekend,
time to have fun in the garden!!

I was probably one of the frivolous ones as I advised moving house if you
horsetail.
My aunt nearly moved house to get away from ground elder. Fortunately she
found a gardener who was able to get rid of it for ever. Yes, he really
did. Pure effort, digging every bed up and removing every piece by hand.
No weedkiller used.
I got rid of my ground elder the same way.
If I had horsetail I am not sure what I would do.
Except consider moving, as I said.

Tina

Tina

Old 22-05-2009, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

michael wrote:

[...]

I used to have an allotment near to Walton-on-Thames which was infested with
horsetail. On talking to the other allotment holders, I found that they
considered it a blessing. The soil was thin and being underlain by river
gravel it often dried out badly in the summer. The other allotment holders
would hoe off the horsetail at ground level and within minutes there was a
spreading ring of moisture brought up from underground. Sadly, most of them
had killed off the horsetail by this process!

Phil

Old 23-05-2009, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil Gurr" wrote in message
news

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

michael wrote:

[...]

It also discourages a whole host of pests and is used baked and ground
to treat various diseases in 'secret potions' :-) In my experience, it
doesn't affect yield at all if it is relatively sparse. You just have
to keep having a go at it.

I have tons of the flippin' stuff and despite hand weeding my onion
bed it's back already with a vengance. The only way to be rid is
careful hand weeding - breaking down all the clay if you have clumpy
soil. I've done that too and the beds prep'd that way are doing fine.
Onion bed a bit ugly.

TJ

Horse tail weed michael United Kingdom 13 06-05-2009 11:10 AM
mares/horse tail Ted[_4_] United Kingdom 33 14-03-2009 12:02 AM
horse tail grimmjimm United Kingdom 17 13-06-2006 05:04 PM
mares tail , horse tail David Hill United Kingdom 0 01-02-2004 11:20 PM
Tail Regeneration on Koi Pickmaster Ponds 2 04-04-2003 03:32 PM