Old 20-05-2009, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default very OT but amusing

On 19 May, 15:49, June Hughes wrote:
On the Today Programme on R4 this morning, the announcer was introducing
David Cameron before an interview about MP's expenses claims and
introduced him as David Cameraman

This is slightly more on-topic, and also amusing:
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3328664.html
"A Herefordshire gardener keeps digging up valuable antiques from
under her lawn, flower beds and vegetable patch."
Old 20-05-2009, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
bobharvey writes
On 19 May, 15:49, June Hughes wrote:
On the Today Programme on R4 this morning, the announcer was introducing
David Cameron before an interview about MP's expenses claims and
introduced him as David Cameraman

This is slightly more on-topic, and also amusing:
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3328664.html
"A Herefordshire gardener keeps digging up valuable antiques from
under her lawn, flower beds and vegetable patch."

I like it.
--
June Hughes

Old 20-05-2009, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-20 09:50:59 +0100, June Hughes
said:

In message , Martin
writes
On Tue, 19 May 2009 22:57:22 +0100, Anne Welsh Jackson
wrote:

Gordon H wrote:
Martin writes
June Hughes wrote:

On the Today Programme on R4 this morning, the announcer was
introducing David Cameron before an interview about MP's expenses
claims and introduced him as David Cameraman

Yes!

His evasive answers to the question of how much money he had made
from his taxpayer subsidised mortgage made me laugh too.
The shows not over until the fat lady sings, unless she becomes temporary
speaker.

I was indignant at his suggestion that an immediate general election was
the solution to the expenses scandal. But he would say that, wouldn't he?

I want to see a list of the MPs who _haven't_ been fiddling their expenses...
and an end to government policy being dictated by the media in general,
and the fourth estate in particular.

The D. Telegraph had such a list yesterday. I think there were around half a
dozen in it.

I was under the impression that most politicians had not claimed
anything they shouldn't.

No, they've just made 'mistakes' in claiming for e.g. mortgages
already paid off. If this hadn't blown up, I wonder when they'd have
realised their 'mistake'?

The biggest mistake is "flipping" houses and confusing the main home with the
secondary home, to avoid paying council tax and capital gains tax. IMO that is
fraud and should be prosecuted.

I agree and I suspect most of the general public do, too. Claiming
that your main home is a bedroom in your sister's house while your
husband and children live elsewhere, is dishonest, too. It's not just a
question of the law and how it can be bent to their wishes, it is a
question of honour. These people *make* the laws they expect us to
obey while they twist and turn to take advantage of our money. I think
the 4th June elections are going to give a few people a massive shock.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Old 20-05-2009, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-20 10:52:19 +0100, Martin said:

On Wed, 20 May 2009 10:40:17 +0100, June Hughes

wrote:

In message , Martin
writes

On 2009-05-20 09:50:59 +0100, June Hughes
said:

In message , Martin
writes
On Tue, 19 May 2009 22:57:22 +0100, Anne Welsh Jackson

wrote:

Gordon H wrote:
Martin writes
June Hughes wrote:

[...]

The only problem there is that they claim they were told they could do
it.

The invalid "Nurenburg Defence".

There I agree. But those who have 'fiddled' have done it with such
staggering sums and with such bare-faced cheek that I agree that this
has to be fraudulent. Can you imagine claiming mortgage payments from
an employer (us) and then saying when caught out "Oh sorry I made a
'mistake' and I'll pay it back"? And still keeping a job? Those who
advised them that their actions were legitimate may not themselves have
been aware of the scale of the fraud but if they were, then they, too,
should be charged.

Old 20-05-2009, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-20 13:23:04 +0100, bobharvey said:

On 19 May, 15:49, June Hughes wrote:
On the Today Programme on R4 this morning, the announcer was introducing
David Cameron before an interview about MP's expenses claims and
introduced him as David Cameraman

This is slightly more on-topic, and also amusing:
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3328664.html
"A Herefordshire gardener keeps digging up valuable antiques from
under her lawn, flower beds and vegetable patch."

Judith needs to get her metal detector back from her neighbour and go
dashing over there!

Old 20-05-2009, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-05-20 13:23:04 +0100, bobharvey said:

On 19 May, 15:49, June Hughes wrote:
On the Today Programme on R4 this morning, the announcer was introducing
David Cameron before an interview about MP's expenses claims and
introduced him as David Cameraman

This is slightly more on-topic, and also amusing:
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3328664.html
"A Herefordshire gardener keeps digging up valuable antiques from
under her lawn, flower beds and vegetable patch."

Judith needs to get her metal detector back from her neighbour and go
dashing over there!
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

I've got it back!!!! The only thing I have found is a lump of iron!
I intend to go to the Plateau de Gergovi (s); just down the road from
me; where the Romans fought a magnificent battle with Vercingtgetrrix
(again sp. not checked it). I was fired by the stories of a cleaner
at the hospital whose son had found such wonderful things, he used to
bring them in to show me; coins, arrow heads, military buttons, it was
just wonderful. All I seem to find in our garden are nails.

Judith
Old 20-05-2009, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
moghouse writes
On May 19, 7:42*pm, Gordon H
wrote:

I spend a lot less time watching PMQ since she stepped down.
Damned attractive woman, stood no nonsense.

I think you should have gone to Specsavers!

I go to a proper optometrist. ;-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 21-05-2009, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 21, 9:09*pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
"bobharvey" wrote in message

On 20 May, 20:26, Judith in France
wrote:

All I seem to find in our garden are nails.

But they might be ROMAN nails!

bits of blue and white china in ours :-(

kate

It doesn't beep when that happens.

Judith
Old 21-05-2009, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

*All I seem to find in our garden are nails.

But they might be ROMAN nails!

Nay; common o garden nails :-)

Judith
Old 22-05-2009, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Kate
Morgan writes

wrote:
All I seem to find in our garden are nails.

But they might be ROMAN nails!

bits of blue and white china in ours :-(
kate

Initially when new, 3 railway sleepers and a solid bag of cement.

Nowadays, just s nails.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply