Old 03-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Registered User

Default Strimmer/Trimmer Dilemma

Hello All

Am a bit of gardening newbie, having decided that it makes no sense to pay a man to do it for me. Having armed myself with a decent lawnmower, I now need to find a strimmer and a hedge trimmer.

I don't have a huge garden, in facts its small to medium sized. I'd rather stick to electric cordless, rather than corded or petrol.

I've what looks like a good deal for about £100 for both pieces of kit, from Ryobi. Both take the same batteries, and the deal comes with a charger and a pair of batteries. I like the concept of being able to always have one battery on charge, and being able to swap between kit if it goes flat.

The alternative option for me is to buy similar kit from Bosch, however for the given budget it seems as if the batteries are different across the two tools (18v vs 14v), which is of course a disadvtantage vs the Ryobi.

Is this a good deal? Or are other makes better for the money?

Cheers

JFH
Old 03-06-2009, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bluebeard wrote:
[...]

My experience of Bosch has not been great. The best small engine for
starting IMHO is the Tanka. The one I have also comes with attachments
for strimming, hedge cutting and small chain saw. There may be others
but these are what I have. Very cost effective as there is only one
engine to have serviced each year.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 16:18:40 +0100, Broadback wrote:

I don't have a huge garden, in facts its small to medium sized. I'd
rather stick to electric cordless, rather than corded or petrol.

I hope you do have a small garden, batteries just don't have the capcity
to provide the required power for an extended period of time. Typical
corded strimmer has a 500W motor. 500W at say 18V is 27A, you want a
runtime of 30mins then you need a 14A/hr battery. Cordless batteries are
in the 3 to 5 A/hr range...

Having two batteries and presumably a fairly fast charger shold mean you
can have one on charge whilst you are using the other and can the swop.
But check the charge time, if it's much more than an hour I expect you'll
be drinking lots of tea. B-)

The best small engine for starting IMHO is the Tanka.

Except the OP doesn't want petrol...

--
Cheers
Dave.