Old 04-06-2009, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Courgettes - eat raw? Pickled?

On 2009-06-04 21:28:14 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

Sacha wrote:

Oh definitely - slice or grate into salads. They're very good.
Gherkins are baby cucumbers. For a good French lunch snack, take a
baguette and slice it in half, butter it, put in a slice of really good
ham, put thin slices of your favourite cheese on top of that and then
some thinly sliced gherkins. Enjoy.

I wonder if it will work with courgettes instead of gherkins? Only one
way to find out. Going shopping tomorrow and will invariably return
with a couple of baguettes so will try it. :-)

Oh! You sneaky person! Jealous? Moi? Yes, dammit!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Old 05-06-2009, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 20:05:36 +0200, David in Normandy

I give them away.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

There aren't many people we can give veg away to. By choice we live in
the middle of nowhere in rural France and enjoy the quiet and solitude.
We give some veg to our French neighbour from time to time and any
visitors leave laden with veg. "You are a Jehovah's witness eh? No I
don't want any brochures thank you... would you like a marrow...?" ;-)

Can't you make marrow jam?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
mogga wrote:

Can't you make marrow jam?

Yes. Why would I want to?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote after Bob Hobden wrote in reply to:
"David in Normandy" who wrote ...
Can courgettes be eaten raw? The other day I had some that had been only
very lightly fried in a little bacon fat and they were still quite crisp
and tasted a little like sweet chestnuts. Prompted me to wonder if
anyone
eats them raw? Can they be pickled raw in vinegar? Is that essentially
what pickled gherkins are?

Well I can't stand them undercooked let alone raw, sliced and shallow
fried
in butter with a little black pepper is OK.
And gherkins are a small cucumber but I can't see why not.

They are very different undercooked and raw, as are many things.
If you haven't tried them raw, then do so. If you have, there is
no accounting for taste, and you clearly don't like them raw ....

I'll try some then, sounds revolting though. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-06-2009, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-04 21:28:14 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

Sacha wrote:

Oh definitely - slice or grate into salads. They're very good.
Gherkins are baby cucumbers. For a good French lunch snack, take a
baguette and slice it in half, butter it, put in a slice of really
good ham, put thin slices of your favourite cheese on top of that and
then some thinly sliced gherkins. Enjoy.

I wonder if it will work with courgettes instead of gherkins? Only one
way to find out. Going shopping tomorrow and will invariably return
with a couple of baguettes so will try it. :-)

Oh! You sneaky person! Jealous? Moi? Yes, dammit!

Well. The verdict. Not bad but not exciting. Baguette with ham, cheese
and thinly sliced raw courgette. It didn't taste as strong as cucumber
and not as watery. I can't say it added much to the baguette, but then
it wasn't offensive in any way, so probably a healthy thing to include.
Maybe better on its own grated in a salad.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Pickled chillies? SG1 Australia 22 07-03-2007 05:27 AM
How to eat rhubarb raw bigboard United Kingdom 8 20-05-2005 06:09 PM
Pickled gherkins - is life too short? David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 4 05-08-2004 02:42 PM
Norwegian Pickled Cucumber PendletonPR United Kingdom 14 18-10-2003 11:12 AM
Pickled walnuts - how? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 7 08-07-2003 11:43 PM