Old 04-06-2009, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Courgettes - eat raw? Pickled?

Can courgettes be eaten raw? The other day I had some that had been only
very lightly fried in a little bacon fat and they were still quite crisp
and tasted a little like sweet chestnuts. Prompted me to wonder if
anyone eats them raw? Can they be pickled raw in vinegar? Is that
essentially what pickled gherkins are?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:
Can courgettes be eaten raw? The other day I had some that had been only
very lightly fried in a little bacon fat and they were still quite crisp
and tasted a little like sweet chestnuts. Prompted me to wonder if
anyone eats them raw? Can they be pickled raw in vinegar? Is that
essentially what pickled gherkins are?

Yes. Sliced lengthways, they are often used as dipping vegetables,
and are sometimes sliced thinly in salads.

Gherkins are small cucumbers, but doubtless you could pickle
courgettes, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Can courgettes be eaten raw? The other day I had some that had been only
very lightly fried in a little bacon fat and they were still quite crisp
and tasted a little like sweet chestnuts. Prompted me to wonder if anyone
eats them raw? Can they be pickled raw in vinegar? Is that essentially
what pickled gherkins are?

Courgettes can most certianly be eaten raw. Can be delicious in a salad
(thinly sliced or grated)

Old 04-06-2009, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wafflycat wrote:

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Can courgettes be eaten raw? The other day I had some that had been
only very lightly fried in a little bacon fat and they were still
quite crisp and tasted a little like sweet chestnuts. Prompted me to
wonder if anyone eats them raw? Can they be pickled raw in vinegar? Is
that essentially what pickled gherkins are?

Courgettes can most certianly be eaten raw. Can be delicious in a salad
(thinly sliced or grated)

Good. I'll try some grated with the next salad. Sounds like another way
to use courgettes. Is it best to use only the small courgettes raw
(couple of inches long) or doesn't it matter?

Later in the season they invariably grow faster than they can be eaten
and we end up with some huge marrows. Unfortunately (despite best
efforts) the marrows have always rotted over Winter. Anyone any tips for
keeping them successfully? Cool, dry place doesn't seem to be enough.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:
wafflycat wrote:

Courgettes can most certianly be eaten raw. Can be delicious in a salad
(thinly sliced or grated)

Good. I'll try some grated with the next salad. Sounds like another way
to use courgettes. Is it best to use only the small courgettes raw
(couple of inches long) or doesn't it matter?

It doesn't matter, but they aren't worth eating bigger.

Later in the season they invariably grow faster than they can be eaten
and we end up with some huge marrows. Unfortunately (despite best
efforts) the marrows have always rotted over Winter. Anyone any tips for
keeping them successfully? Cool, dry place doesn't seem to be enough.

I give them away.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Can courgettes be eaten raw? The other day I had some that had been only
very lightly fried in a little bacon fat and they were still quite crisp
and tasted a little like sweet chestnuts. Prompted me to wonder if anyone
eats them raw? Can they be pickled raw in vinegar? Is that essentially
what pickled gherkins are?

Try this: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2...ourgette-rolls

When you try them fried again, add a bit of ground cumin. I was served them
this way once and they were delish!
Graham

Old 04-06-2009, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

graham wrote:
"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Can courgettes be eaten raw? The other day I had some that had been only
very lightly fried in a little bacon fat and they were still quite crisp
and tasted a little like sweet chestnuts. Prompted me to wonder if anyone
eats them raw? Can they be pickled raw in vinegar? Is that essentially
what pickled gherkins are?

Try this: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2...ourgette-rolls

When you try them fried again, add a bit of ground cumin. I was served them
this way once and they were delish!
Graham

Looks like a tasty recipe. I've printed it off to try. Thanks. :-)

Old 04-06-2009, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wafflycat wrote:

[...]

Here's what used to happen with the marrows in the childhood home of
Wafflycat.. marrow & ginger jam

Here's a link to a recipe
http://www.allotment.org.uk/recipe/1...nd-ginger-jam/

Old 04-06-2009, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-04 18:31:36 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

Can courgettes be eaten raw? The other day I had some that had been
only very lightly fried in a little bacon fat and they were still quite
crisp and tasted a little like sweet chestnuts. Prompted me to wonder
if anyone eats them raw? Can they be pickled raw in vinegar? Is that
essentially what pickled gherkins are?

Oh definitely - slice or grate into salads. They're very good.
Gherkins are baby cucumbers. For a good French lunch snack, take a
baguette and slice it in half, butter it, put in a slice of really good
ham, put thin slices of your favourite cheese on top of that and then
some thinly sliced gherkins. Enjoy.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Old 04-06-2009, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

Oh definitely - slice or grate into salads. They're very good.
Gherkins are baby cucumbers. For a good French lunch snack, take a
baguette and slice it in half, butter it, put in a slice of really good
ham, put thin slices of your favourite cheese on top of that and then
some thinly sliced gherkins. Enjoy.

I wonder if it will work with courgettes instead of gherkins? Only one
way to find out. Going shopping tomorrow and will invariably return with
a couple of baguettes so will try it. :-)
Old 04-06-2009, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wafflycat wrote:

Here's what used to happen with the marrows in the childhood home of
Wafflycat.. marrow & ginger jam

Here's a link to a recipe
http://www.allotment.org.uk/recipe/1...nd-ginger-jam/

Sounds tasty and worth a try. Thanks :-)

Old 04-06-2009, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote ...
Can courgettes be eaten raw? The other day I had some that had been only
very lightly fried in a little bacon fat and they were still quite crisp
and tasted a little like sweet chestnuts. Prompted me to wonder if anyone
eats them raw? Can they be pickled raw in vinegar? Is that essentially
what pickled gherkins are?

Well I can't stand them undercooked let alone raw, sliced an shallow fried
in butter with a little black pepper is OK.
And gherkins are a small cucumber but I can't see why not.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-06-2009, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-04 18:31:36 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

Can courgettes be eaten raw? The other day I had some that had been
only very lightly fried in a little bacon fat and they were still quite
crisp and tasted a little like sweet chestnuts. Prompted me to wonder
if anyone eats them raw? Can they be pickled raw in vinegar? Is that
essentially what pickled gherkins are?

Oh definitely - slice or grate into salads. *They're very good. *
Gherkins are baby cucumbers. *For a good French lunch snack, take a
baguette and slice it in half, butter it, put in a slice of really good
ham, put thin slices of your favourite cheese on top of that and then
some thinly sliced gherkins. *Enjoy.
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

I'm just home, 1 hour later in France than the UK; after a great
dinner. I'm not at all peckish, Michelin cusine it was not but very
good nonetheless; I ate gherkins tonight with my aperitif, hic.

Judith
Old 04-06-2009, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

"David in Normandy" wrote ...
Can courgettes be eaten raw? The other day I had some that had been only
very lightly fried in a little bacon fat and they were still quite crisp
and tasted a little like sweet chestnuts. Prompted me to wonder if anyone
eats them raw? Can they be pickled raw in vinegar? Is that essentially
what pickled gherkins are?

Well I can't stand them undercooked let alone raw, sliced an shallow fried
in butter with a little black pepper is OK.
And gherkins are a small cucumber but I can't see why not.

They are very different undercooked and raw, as are many things.
If you haven't tried them raw, then do so. If you have, there is
no accounting for taste, and you clearly don't like them raw ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Pickled chillies? SG1 Australia 22 07-03-2007 05:27 AM
How to eat rhubarb raw bigboard United Kingdom 8 20-05-2005 06:09 PM
Pickled gherkins - is life too short? David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 4 05-08-2004 02:42 PM
Norwegian Pickled Cucumber PendletonPR United Kingdom 14 18-10-2003 11:12 AM
Pickled walnuts - how? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 7 08-07-2003 11:43 PM