Old 23-02-2007, 09:26 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

Default Pickled chillies?

Have a real good harvest and still heaps of flowers coming on. Does any one
have a recipe to pickle the blighters (NOT make them into pickles though). I
do like a chilli and cheese sanger.
Thanks
Jim

Old 24-02-2007, 05:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Feb 24, 8:26 am, "SG1" wrote:
Have a real good harvest and still heaps of flowers coming on. Does any one
have a recipe to pickle the blighters (NOT make them into pickles though). I
do like a chilli and cheese sanger.
Thanks
Jim

Pickling will change the flavour as you need to add vinegar etc to
make them last. Rather than just using salt or vinegar I make spare
chillis into sambal. This keeps indefinitely in the fridge and goes
very well with snacks and in (or with) Asian food. If you are
interested I will give you the recipe.

They also freeze quite well and the flavour will not be changed much
(if at all) but the texture may lose its crunch. This is probably the
best option if you just want a bit of fresh (well not dried) chilli on
hand after the growing season is over.

David

Old 24-02-2007, 07:52 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day jim,

pickling using good cider vinegar but as has been said alters the
flavour by adding tha vinegar taste.

you could chop them up with white pulp seed in or out depending on
waht heat range you like, and freeze them in usable quanitites for
cooking, that is when yo are cooking you take out a pak' and add it
without defrosting it.

they can be dried.

our prefferd method was to chop them up bring them to simmer for a
while then pour into sterile warm jars and lid them kept in the fridge
they last a long time that way, we just threw out the last little bit
in a big jar that has been going for about years.

again whatever method you use if you don't want them too hot remove
the pulp and/or seeds, the pulp is the hottest part, followed by the
seed and the flesh is the least of the heat.

you always end up with more chillies than you can poke a stick at, so
maybe search online for recipes for making sauces etc.,. you may then
be able to give some away not many want chillies just for chillies
sake.

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 21:26:03 GMT, "SG1" wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 24-02-2007, 09:43 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"len garden" wrote in message
[...]

Len
made the chilli sauce yesterday, it ended up like chutney with a kick. Used
the recipe of a friend who when she made them made Chilli sauce (go figure).
Will have fresh and frozen to use.
Jim

Old 24-02-2007, 10:45 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

Found this during a search looks good.

http://www.cjp.net/cuisine/index.htm

Old 25-02-2007, 03:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Feb 24, 11:17 pm, Linda H wrote:
wrote:
Rather than just using salt or vinegar I make spare
chillis into sambal. This keeps indefinitely in the fridge and goes
very well with snacks and in (or with) Asian food. If you are
interested I will give you the recipe.

I would like to have the recipe for sambal please, David.

This is a rich sambal, simple ones are little but chillis, vinegar and
salt.

The quantities are not exact, taste test for your preference. This is
for a _big_ double handful of red chillis, I like medium hotness ones
as you want the chilli flavour not just arse-burn, if you use really
hot ones you are on your own. If you have more or less chilies adjust
the other ingredients. As it keeps well it is worth doing a large
batch.

- chillies with stalks, seeds and pith removed (leaving them in will
make the hotness dominate everything else but some like it that way)
Wear disposible gloves and don't rub your eye!
- onions two large peeled
- garlic 6 cloves peeled
- oil for frying, don't use EVOO, canola or other cheap oil is fine,
half or 3/4 of a cup
- salt 2 teaspoons
- lemon juice half a cup
- brown sugar half a cup

The following are all optional but worth the trouble in my opinion

- blachan (trasi) a lump about 2 tsps chopped up, not essential if you
don't have it but adds another dimension
- spices 2 desertspoons fresh finely ground, a mix of coriander seed,
cummin seed and the like are good
- nuts ground half a cup, I prefer candle nuts but unsalted cashews or
macadamias are good

Chop chillis, garlic and onions or blend them with oil until small but
not a fine paste. Fry in oil in a large frying pan over medium heat
stiring often. It should not catch or burn. The aim is to cook and
remove much of the water. When the mix has thickened and changed
colour (about 15 minutes) add the other ingredients. Break up the
trasi with the spoon.

Continue cooking and stiring, reducing heat if necessary, until the
mix is fairly stiff (does not slump on the spoon) and the oil starts
to separate. If it looks dry add more oil. The result should be a
rich red-brown colour with glossy oil on the surface of the paste but
not swimming in oil.

When cool keep in the fridge in jars with good lids.

-
Also, when you see whole chillis infused in long jars of EVO how long do
they last (if you do that yourself?)

This is somewhat risky as it is possible for botulism to grow in such
anaerobic conditions. To inhibit such growth the mix should be made
quite acidic with vinegar or sterilised with heat. Read up on this
before you risk poisoning. If done properly they should last many
months.

David

Old 25-02-2007, 05:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

On this topic, hubby recently was given lots of the small birdseye chillies,
I sterilized a jar, filled it with chillies and poured over boiling red wine
vinegar. Given that I'm not a hot food fan and DH won't get around to using
them any time this year, thay're in the fridge.

But they look pretty.....

Old 25-02-2007, 07:10 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day meeee,

chillies are reputed to have very good health values for us, the use
of them will certianly help clear the sinuses.

to keep heat range down when/if you go to use the chillies slice them
open and scarap out the white pulp and seeds, for first timers don't
make a realy hot dish start mild use a little at a time and increase
the amount you use over time, you can build up your taste i know
people who can eat the habinaro (hottest of the hot) like we would eat
an apple, and not bring a tear to their eye.

Old 26-02-2007, 02:15 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Feb 26, 6:10 am, len garden wrote:

i know
people who can eat the habinaro (hottest of the hot) like we would eat
an apple, and not bring a tear to their eye.

I knew a bloke who used to do that trick as an attention getting
thing. When we went for a curry meal he would order the hottest dish
on the menu and then ask for a bowl of chillies on the side. He would
munch, seeds and all, on these with apparent joy and offer them around
to anybody who wanted to play the game. He never showed any signs of
distress or drank large amounts of fluids, yogurt etc. A real Iron
Man or so it seemed.

His girlfriend told me that the day after these performances he used
to suffer agonies for hours so in the interests of science I used to
egg him on to eat more. He proved that people will go through hell if
they think it will enhance their creds.

David

Old 26-02-2007, 10:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

snort

i was disappointed to read recently dr karl "debunking" the myth of (what we
call in our family) curry-bottom - i.e. the misery one can experience while
on the loo the day after eating something unusually hot. dr karl is mostly
right but sometimes wrong - everyone _i_ know thinks he's totally wrong on
this one. the only way to avoid curry-bottom is to eat it every day so your
tender parts are used to it, otherwise you _will_ get the good old "ring of
fire". like your friend ;-)
kylie

Old 27-02-2007, 07:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

i was disappointed to read recently dr karl "debunking" the myth of (what we
call in our family) curry-bottom - i.e. the misery one can experience while
on the loo the day after eating something unusually hot. dr karl is mostly
right but sometimes wrong - everyone _i_ know thinks he's totally wrong on
this one.

I've never suffered from this problem, and my eating of hot food is now
occasional.

Do you use very soft TP?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 27-02-2007, 06:34 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day kylie,

i've eaten some pretty hot dishes at times curry/chilly types sinuses
ran like a tap eye's watered but never the ring of fire syndrome.

reckon the sufferer might look to other issues ie.,. maybe not
drinking enough water in their daily regime?? might be time for a
medical check of some sort??

but no the ROF is just a humurous anicdote.

Old 27-02-2007, 09:20 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"len garden" wrote in message
g'day kylie,

i've eaten some pretty hot dishes at times curry/chilly types sinuses
ran like a tap eye's watered but never the ring of fire syndrome.

reckon the sufferer might look to other issues ie.,. maybe not
drinking enough water in their daily regime?? might be time for a
medical check of some sort??

but no the ROF is just a humurous anicdote.

No it is not. Because 1/2 a bottle of chillies in 1 day will on occassion
produce it. Less frequent the more often the chillies are consumed. Chookie
Sorbent low alergenic, good gear, not finger through quality.
Jim