Old 16-06-2009, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A bucket of salty slugs and snails

--
..
"Sheila" wrote in message
om...

On 2009-06-16 16:23:33 +0100, "Sheila"
said:
You could use beer traps but water doesn't work. They seem to just climb
out of the buckets when I've tried that. Salt water kills them.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

If the OP is worried about the salt content then, why not dilute the
bucket and then compost? You would only need to fill the bucket 3/4
inches of salty water?

Boiling water. No salt. Works for us. Toooooooo difficult for urglers?

:-((

Try it the simple way for once. Instant death :-))

Mike

Old 16-06-2009, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-16 17:31:11 +0100, "Sheila" said:

I believe the OP said she'd doesn't have room for a compost heap hence the
query as to what to do with the bodies.

Ah yes, now I remember, well, either bird table or bin!

Not bird table if they've been in salt water, however. Drain -
plastic bag and bin, quite possibly.

Old 16-06-2009, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..

On 2009-06-16 17:31:11 +0100, "Sheila"
said:

I believe the OP said she'd doesn't have room for a compost heap hence
the
query as to what to do with the bodies.

Ah yes, now I remember, well, either bird table or bin!

Not bird table if they've been in salt water, however. Drain - plastic
bag and bin, quite possibly.
Sacha

BUCKET

SLUGS SNAILS

BOILING WATER

UNDER THE SHRUBS FOR THE BLACKBIRDS, THRUSHES AND FROGS

WHAT COULD BE SIMPLER?

Maybe toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo simple for urglers :-((

Kindest possible 'Green Regards'

Mike

Old 16-06-2009, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"'Mike'" wrote in message

.
On 2009-06-16 18:20:57 +0100, "Sheila"

On 2009-06-16 17:31:11 +0100, "Sheila"
said:

I believe the OP said she'd doesn't have room for a compost heap hence
the
query as to what to do with the bodies.

Ah yes, now I remember, well, either bird table or bin!

Not bird table if they've been in salt water, however. Drain - plastic
bag and bin, quite possibly.
Sacha

BUCKET

SLUGS SNAILS

BOILING WATER

UNDER THE SHRUBS FOR THE BLACKBIRDS, THRUSHES AND FROGS

WHAT COULD BE SIMPLER?

Maybe toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo simple for urglers :-((

Kindest possible 'Green Regards'

Mike

NO, REPEAT NO SALT :-))

Mike

Old 16-06-2009, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I believe the OP said she'd doesn't have room for a compost heap hence
the
query as to what to do with the bodies.

Ah yes, now I remember, well, either bird table or bin!

Not bird table if they've been in salt water, however. Drain - plastic
bag and bin, quite possibly.
Sacha

BUCKET

SLUGS SNAILS

BOILING WATER

UNDER THE SHRUBS FOR THE BLACKBIRDS, THRUSHES AND FROGS

WHAT COULD BE SIMPLER?

Maybe toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo simple for urglers :-((

Kindest possible 'Green Regards'

Mike

NO, REPEAT NO SALT :-))

Mike

Now I know that the Clique don't want to believe me, but try this test.

Assume your fingers are fat slugs. Put them in the bottom of a bucket, hand
attached, then poor boiling water on them. NO SALT.

If your fingers were slugs, don't you think they would be dead pretty soon?

Sorry about your fingers, but you wouldn't believe me!

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 16-06-2009, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

mogga writes
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 00:30:01 +0100, Yellow
wrote:

mogga ] said:
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:42:35 +0100, Yellow
wrote:

After taking some advice, I have been popping today's collection of
slugs and snails, collected while weeding, into a bucket of salty water
to kill them.

But now what?

A silly question perhaps but what do people do with the resultant
carnage? Pour it down the drain?

You leave it to set and you've got slug jam.
Put it in the bin. Probably best sent to the tip.

I asked a gardening keen friend at work how he dealt with slug and snail
disposal and he told me his mum (when she was fit enough to garden) used
to fill an old fabric softener bottle with water and pop the critters in
that. When the bottle was full the lid was screwed on tight and it was
then put into the dustbin for the bin men to collect for landfill. :-)

And the most votes at my workplace, when I revealed I tended to go on
the hunt after dark, was to just throw them over the fence.....

As long as you never mix them up...

Years ago I used to hunt them at night. huge hungry monsters that
ended up in a big tin which congealed into a really solid mass in the
end.
Later I learned to have fun with them first and sat and watched them
race to a beery death.

I assume all you slug-hunters know that most of the damage is caused by
one or two species of smaller slug? Most of the slugs eat rotting
vegetation not live stuff, and one or two are purely carnivorous. In
particular, the huge black slugs don't eat live vegetation, neither do
the big yellow ones with grey-green markings.

--
Kay
Old 17-06-2009, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:25:46 +0100, K wrote:

I assume all you slug-hunters know that most of the damage is caused by
one or two species of smaller slug? Most of the slugs eat rotting
vegetation not live stuff, and one or two are purely carnivorous. In
particular, the huge black slugs don't eat live vegetation, neither do
the big yellow ones with grey-green markings.

Well the two huge fat things sat eating my rhubarb leaves looked very
guilty to me.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 17-06-2009, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
I assume all you slug-hunters know that most of the damage is caused
by one or two species of smaller slug? Most of the slugs eat rotting
vegetation not live stuff, and one or two are purely carnivorous. In
particular, the huge black slugs don't eat live vegetation, neither do
the big yellow ones with grey-green markings.

I certainly did not!!! Thank you!

saved for future ref.

Old 17-06-2009, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:25:46 +0100, K wrote:

I assume all you slug-hunters know that most of the damage is caused
by one or two species of smaller slug? Most of the slugs eat rotting
vegetation not live stuff, and one or two are purely carnivorous. In
particular, the huge black slugs don't eat live vegetation, neither
do the big yellow ones with grey-green markings.

Well the two huge fat things sat eating my rhubarb leaves looked very
guilty to me.

lol were they trying not to make eye contact

Old 17-06-2009, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Yellow
wrote
After taking some advice, I have been popping today's collection of
slugs and snails, collected while weeding, into a bucket of salty water
to kill them.

But now what?

A silly question perhaps but what do people do with the resultant
carnage? Pour it down the drain?

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall cooks and eats them!

--
Alan

Old 18-06-2009, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg ] said:
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 19:49:55 +0100, Yellow
wrote:

'Mike' ] said:

My news reader doesn't seem to want to quote you which is a bit odd but

It's because he puts a couple of 'carriage returns' and two hyphens at
the top of his messages. Most news readers, well...mine anyway, assume
that everything below that is a signature, not to be quoted in
replies, i.e. his whole message becomes a signature, and his messages
don't get re-quoted. If you hunt around in one of the tools or options
menus in your reader there's probably a setting somewhere to over-ride
the automatic omission of signatures if you want to change it.

Thanks for the explanation, but nah, I don't think I'll be changing my
settings. :-)
Old 18-06-2009, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-13 20:00:09 +0100, "Pete C" said:

Yellow wrote:
Sheila ] said:

"Yellow" wrote in message
After taking some advice, I have been popping today's collection of
slugs and snails, collected while weeding, into a bucket of salty
water to kill them.

Why salty water, cant you put ordinary water in? or at least give them some
beer...

Beer - I don't drink so would have to buy it special and buying a pint
for the local slugs and snails seems a bit of an etagere given I do have
salt. :-)

Water - Tried that before and they just keep climbing out when you turn
your back. And contrary to popular opinion, they can half shift when
motivated.
Old 18-06-2009, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' ] said:

You asked what is wrong with boiling water.

I did that the next night and will not be doing it again as I just ended
up (obviously) with a bucket of cooked slugs and snails and still
nowhere to dispose of them. Bear in mind I have a smallish garden here
and only have so much room for the burial of rotting flesh (cooked or
otherwise).
Old 18-06-2009, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-16 16:23:33 +0100, "Sheila" said:
You could use beer traps but water doesn't work. They seem to just climb
out of the buckets when I've tried that. Salt water kills them.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

If the OP is worried about the salt content then, why not dilute the bucket
and then compost? You would only need to fill the bucket 3/4 inches of
salty water?

I've already said I do not have a compost heap.
Old 18-06-2009, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Yellow" wrote in message
'Mike' ] said:

You asked what is wrong with boiling water.

I did that the next night and will not be doing it again as I just ended
up (obviously) with a bucket of cooked slugs and snails and still
nowhere to dispose of them. Bear in mind I have a smallish garden here
and only have so much room for the burial of rotting flesh (cooked or
otherwise).

You only need to cover them with boiling water.

Let it cool and chuck it under any hedge/bush/shrub. The Blackbirds,
Thrushes and Frogs will sort them out. All you will have to do is dispose of
the snail shells, which will be empty, in the morning in the dustbin.

Mike

:-))

Salty flower. Sack Of Gold Gardening 1 29-04-2010 12:34 AM
elderberry in salty soil? [email protected] Gardening 3 26-04-2006 05:46 AM
have a day or two, to think about it "Salty" .. not happy Gardening 2 21-05-2004 10:02 AM
A question for "Salty Thumb". not happy Gardening 6 21-05-2004 02:02 AM
Snails and slugs George D Permaculture 0 29-10-2002 03:27 AM