Old 27-06-2009, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I am fed up...

...with daffodils. The short period of colour is just not worth
the long untidy stage. I have cut them all back early this year
and if they die I won't be too disappointed.

Old 27-06-2009, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I agree. I am thinking of just growing them in tubs.

--
Bill.
South/West Durham

Old 27-06-2009, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill P" wrote in message
I agree. I am thinking of just growing them in tubs.

--
Bill.
South/West Durham

I know what you mean, I grow mine in mixed borders, when they die back you
don't notice it so much

kate

Old 27-06-2009, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
..with daffodils. The short period of colour is just not worth the long
untidy stage. I have cut them all back early this year and if they die I
won't be too disappointed.

I don't mind the untidy stage of daffodils, for me it's worth it/

Old 27-06-2009, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
..with daffodils. The short period of colour is just not worth the long
untidy stage. I have cut them all back early this year and if they die I
won't be too disappointed.

I don't mind the untidy stage of daffodils, for me it's worth it/

I agree. They are a really cheerful sight at a miserable time of the year.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Old 27-06-2009, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-27 22:10:50 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

Christina Websell wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
..with daffodils. The short period of colour is just not worth the long
untidy stage. I have cut them all back early this year and if they die
I won't be too disappointed.

I don't mind the untidy stage of daffodils, for me it's worth it/

I agree. They are a really cheerful sight at a miserable time of the year.

I think that like all choosing of what you grow where in your garden,
it's a question of space and personal taste. If space is limited,
daffodils are demanding and I agree that tubs are an excellent solution
and would suggest Tete a tete. If there's plenty of space, grow them
'wild' under trees and let the grass and leaves of the dying daffs take
over for a few weeks. If they're in borders, I don't like them but
that's a very personal viewpoint. The only way I can take them planted
in that fashion is if something comes up to hide their dying foliage.
If not, they dominate borders for far too long, IMO. But I must admit
that I can't imagine a spring without daffodils though ours are never
'tidy' and are scattered hither and yon.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Old 28-06-2009, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
If there's plenty of space, grow them
'wild' under trees and let the grass and leaves of the dying daffs take
over for a few weeks.

Our daffs are under trees and a few in one of the lawns. They look
lovely there. Much better than those regimented into clumps / rows in
formal borders. Same with crocus bulbs. I love those, and planted lots
in random places in the daff lawn.

Old 28-06-2009, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-27 22:10:50 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

Christina Websell wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Are you back from your holiday in Tesco already? )

We have thick fog here. From spring to summer and into autumn all in one week

Indeed we are - it was 5 days of sheer relaxation and 'do nothing'
gorgeousness. I must admit that daffs were far from our minds at that
point, too! Grey and misty here today but we could use some rain!

Old 28-06-2009, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

On 2009-06-27 22:10:50 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

Christina Websell wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Sounds wonderful. As for the rain - a sure way to invoke it is to
invite friends over for supper in your garden. Never fails.
--
June Hughes
Old 28-06-2009, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
Indeed we are - it was 5 days of sheer relaxation and 'do nothing'
gorgeousness. I must admit that daffs were far from our minds at that
point, too! Grey and misty here today but we could use some rain!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Wall to wall sunshine here Sacha so it will be good in Chepstow :-)

kate

Gloucestershire

Old 28-06-2009, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

David in Normandy writes
Sacha wrote:
If there's plenty of space, grow them 'wild' under trees and let the
grass and leaves of the dying daffs take over for a few weeks.

Our daffs are under trees and a few in one of the lawns. They look
lovely there. Much better than those regimented into clumps / rows in
formal borders. Same with crocus bulbs. I love those, and planted lots
in random places in the daff lawn.

Ours are everywhere. There's wild daffs and tenby daffs in the lawn,
then big blousy things under the pergola where the apple trees are, so
we have a double border of daffs, then when that's over, a tunnel of
apple blossom. Then they're along the base of the hedge, and scattered
around in the borders, and they keep appearing in the pots. I'm now
focusing on daffodils not more than about 8 inches high, and as early
flowering as possible (and the small ones don't have the same huge
wilting leaves). They make me really happy in spring, in those dreary
days of March when the greyness of winter has gone on just a bit too
long.

Memories of wild daffodils - along stream banks in Gloucestershire, and
a prehistoric fortification in Portugal, now just a barren shingle bank
appearing out of the lush undergrowth, and in spring a several hundred
yard long mass of petticoat-hoop daffodils.
--
Kay
Old 28-06-2009, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 10:00:08 +0100, June Hughes

In message , Sacha
writes

On 2009-06-27 22:10:50 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

Christina Websell wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
[...]

It failed here. In the south east of NL there were floods caused by
thunderstorms

Oh dear. We had torrential rain and thunderstorms but as we live in the
highest part of London, we weren't flooded.
--
June Hughes
Old 28-06-2009, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-28 10:00:11 +0100, "Kate Morgan" said:

snip
Indeed we are - it was 5 days of sheer relaxation and 'do nothing'
gorgeousness. I must admit that daffs were far from our minds at that
point, too! Grey and misty here today but we could use some rain!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Wall to wall sunshine here Sacha so it will be good in Chepstow :-)

kate

Gloucestershire

You're right - just had a morning report from them, though she says it
was clouding over a bit. ;-)

Old 29-06-2009, 01:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote
In message , Martin
writes
It failed here. In the south east of NL there were floods caused by
thunderstorms

Oh dear. We had torrential rain and thunderstorms but as we live in
the highest part of London, we weren't flooded.

We had 40mm in a couple of hours. Talk about stair-rods, it seemed more
like scaffold poles!

--
Sue

Old 30-06-2009, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 27/06/09 20:23, Muddymike wrote:
..with daffodils. The short period of colour is just not worth
the long untidy stage. I have cut them all back early this year
and if they die I won't be too disappointed.

Maybe you might plant a variety of daffs to prolong the season. By
using different types, I have daffs flowering from January through April
here in SE England.

As for the top growth after flowering, I find that this is mainly hidden
by the perennial plants that start appearing in the Spring..

Ed

Spring fed pond coming into balance Stephen M. Henning Ponds 1 23-05-2004 06:03 PM
Fed up! (Sorry for Crosspost) JazzyB Freshwater Aquaria Plants 30 23-02-2004 02:42 AM
Gravity fed versus pump fed filters Iain Miller Ponds 11 24-08-2003 05:02 AM
Fed Up! BenignVanilla Ponds 6 28-06-2003 04:56 PM
Fed Up! Priscilla McCullough Ponds (alternative) 4 31-03-2003 03:20 PM