Old 30-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Crocosmia question

In the early spring, I planted a dozen corms of a *yellow* crocosmia.
( The variety was not specified in any more detail
{:-((
The plants are thriving, with the leaves now approximately 40 cm long.
They were planted about 1.5 metres from a floriferous group of
"Lucifer, receiving very similar light, and in very similar soil
There is as yet no sign at all of any flower stems. Is it usual for
newly planted Crocosmia corms not to yield flowering plants in the
year of planting?

Franz

Old 30-07-2004, 11:37 PM
Kay

In article , Franz Heymann
writes
In the early spring, I planted a dozen corms of a *yellow* crocosmia.
( The variety was not specified in any more detail
{:-((
The plants are thriving, with the leaves now approximately 40 cm long.
They were planted about 1.5 metres from a floriferous group of
"Lucifer, receiving very similar light, and in very similar soil
There is as yet no sign at all of any flower stems. Is it usual for
newly planted Crocosmia corms not to yield flowering plants in the
year of planting?

Have a bit of patience! Some of my crocosmia have a few flower stems,
but most of them have no sign at all yet, and you're north of me!
--
Kay

Old 31-07-2004, 07:04 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes
In the early spring, I planted a dozen corms of a *yellow*

crocosmia.
( The variety was not specified in any more detail
{:-((
The plants are thriving, with the leaves now approximately 40 cm

long.
They were planted about 1.5 metres from a floriferous group of
"Lucifer, receiving very similar light, and in very similar soil
There is as yet no sign at all of any flower stems. Is it usual

for
newly planted Crocosmia corms not to yield flowering plants in the
year of planting?

Have a bit of patience! Some of my crocosmia have a few flower

stems,
but most of them have no sign at all yet, and you're north of me!

Kay, my worry stems from the fact that my "Lucifer" group is in full
flower and the new ones are showing no sign of obliging. But I'll be
patient......

Franz

Old 31-07-2004, 07:04 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

Old 31-07-2004, 07:55 AM
Robert

Franz Heymann wrote:
: In the early spring, I planted a dozen corms of a *yellow* crocosmia.
: ( The variety was not specified in any more detail
: {:-((
: The plants are thriving, with the leaves now approximately 40 cm long.
: They were planted about 1.5 metres from a floriferous group of
: "Lucifer, receiving very similar light, and in very similar soil
: There is as yet no sign at all of any flower stems. Is it usual for
: newly planted Crocosmia corms not to yield flowering plants in the
: year of planting?
:
: Franz

You may just be born lucky and they are dying lol (just joking)

Old 31-07-2004, 10:38 AM
Matthew Durkin

don't worry. the different varieties don't all flower at exactly the same
time. Also local climate makes a huge difference - my parent's haven't even
got buds, whilst mine are in flower and they are the same variety.
I'd put money on them flowering - they're a very strong plant...

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

Old 31-07-2004, 10:38 AM
Matthew Durkin

don't worry. the different varieties don't all flower at exactly the same
time. Also local climate makes a huge difference - my parent's haven't even
got buds, whilst mine are in flower and they are the same variety.
I'd put money on them flowering - they're a very strong plant...

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

Old 31-07-2004, 07:52 PM
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:33:28 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

In the early spring, I planted a dozen corms of a *yellow* crocosmia.
( The variety was not specified in any more detail
{:-((
The plants are thriving, with the leaves now approximately 40 cm long.
They were planted about 1.5 metres from a floriferous group of
"Lucifer, receiving very similar light, and in very similar soil
There is as yet no sign at all of any flower stems. Is it usual for
newly planted Crocosmia corms not to yield flowering plants in the
year of planting?

Franz

Earlier this year I planted some bought corms of C. masonorum
alongside a single corm of the same that I had already growing, as I
wanted to increase the numbers faster than letting nature do it. My
single corm is in flower, while the bought ones don't look as if
they'll set flower this year.

--
Chris

Old 31-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Franz Heymann

"Matthew Durkin" wrote in message
don't worry. the different varieties don't all flower at exactly the

same
time. Also local climate makes a huge difference - my parent's

haven't even
got buds, whilst mine are in flower and they are the same variety.
I'd put money on them flowering - they're a very strong plant...

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll wait.......

Franz

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

Old 31-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Franz Heymann

"Matthew Durkin" wrote in message
don't worry. the different varieties don't all flower at exactly the

same
time. Also local climate makes a huge difference - my parent's

haven't even
got buds, whilst mine are in flower and they are the same variety.
I'd put money on them flowering - they're a very strong plant...

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll wait.......

Franz

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

Old 31-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Franz Heymann

"Robert" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:
: In the early spring, I planted a dozen corms of a *yellow*

crocosmia.
: ( The variety was not specified in any more detail
: {:-((
: The plants are thriving, with the leaves now approximately 40 cm

long.
: They were planted about 1.5 metres from a floriferous group of
: "Lucifer, receiving very similar light, and in very similar soil
: There is as yet no sign at all of any flower stems. Is it usual

for
: newly planted Crocosmia corms not to yield flowering plants in the
: year of planting?
:
: Franz

You may just be born lucky and they are dying lol (just joking)

Hey, Robert I am talking about a really yellow crocosmia, not your
usual orange Montbretias! I paid good money for them and I expect
them to perform accordingly

{:-((

Franz