Old 12-07-2009, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potatoes - what went wrong?

I have grown potatoes for the first time, and in pots. I just turned out a
couple of pots as the foliage was dying down. I got a measly 435gms of
potatoes from 4 seed potatoes and about 150l of MPC. Roughly that works out
to around £14 per kilo - they sure better taste good!!!

Angela

Old 12-07-2009, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Angela wrote:
I have grown potatoes for the first time, and in pots. I just turned out a
couple of pots as the foliage was dying down. I got a measly 435gms of
potatoes from 4 seed potatoes and about 150l of MPC. Roughly that works out
to around £14 per kilo - they sure better taste good!!!

Angela

Though it seems "fashionable" to grow potatoes in pots, they fare much
better in the garden. Amongst the possible reasons for a poor crop a

Not enough watering.
Not enough sunshine - i.e. pot not in full sun.
Not enough plant feed or compost too poor.
Dying down early due to blight disease.

It also depends on the variety.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 13-07-2009, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David in Normandy
writes
Angela wrote:
I have grown potatoes for the first time, and in pots. I just turned
out a couple of pots as the foliage was dying down. I got a measly
435gms of potatoes from 4 seed potatoes and about 150l of MPC.
Roughly that works out to around £14 per kilo - they sure better
taste good!!!
Angela

Though it seems "fashionable" to grow potatoes in pots, they fare much
better in the garden. Amongst the possible reasons for a poor crop a

Not enough watering.
Not enough sunshine - i.e. pot not in full sun.
Not enough plant feed or compost too poor.
Dying down early due to blight disease.

It also depends on the variety.

Having grown them in pots for the first time, I would agree with all
that. I used Tomorite on mine and although there were about 10 pounds
of pots in one tub, I had expected a lot more.
--
June Hughes
Old 14-07-2009, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Angela
writes
I have grown potatoes for the first time, and in pots. I just turned out a
couple of pots as the foliage was dying down. I got a measly 435gms of
potatoes from 4 seed potatoes and about 150l of MPC. Roughly that works out
to around £14 per kilo - they sure better taste good!!!

Angela

I've just lifted a volunteer potato that was growing between a couple of
rows of broad beans. Only 3 small potatoes, with a total weight of 116g.

(The batch of deliberately planted potatoes that lifted a month or more
back gave me 7.5kg from about 30 plants, which isn't particularly good -
but I don't seem to be very green-fingered with potatoes. On the other
hand it works out to about 10p per kilo.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley