Old 19-07-2009, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Courgettes

I have never grown courgettes as my husband doesn't like them but
recently bought one plant to fill a space in a raised bed. It was very
soon producing courgettes and I was so pleased, I went to the garden
centre and bought two more plants, which I put in a gigantic pot. They
too grew quickly but it soon became apparent that they are both (I think
- I am a courgette bozo) male, as all they are producing is flowers on
stalks where you would expect the courgettes to be. They are also
rather prickly plants. I know you can cook the flowers and shall do so
but can anyone please tell me if there is anything I can do?

Sorry if this is a daft question. My garden centre is good and will
listen to my query but I want to talk to them with what appears to be a
modicum of courgette intelligence before I talk to them. Many TIA.
--
June Hughes
Old 19-07-2009, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
June Hughes wrote:
I have never grown courgettes as my husband doesn't like them but
recently bought one plant to fill a space in a raised bed. It was very
soon producing courgettes and I was so pleased, I went to the garden
centre and bought two more plants, which I put in a gigantic pot. They
too grew quickly but it soon became apparent that they are both (I think
- I am a courgette bozo) male, as all they are producing is flowers on
stalks where you would expect the courgettes to be. They are also
rather prickly plants. I know you can cook the flowers and shall do so
but can anyone please tell me if there is anything I can do?

No, all courgettes are bisexual. Most of the squashes seem to produce
quote a lot of male flowers before they start producing female ones.
Most varieties are prickly, but not all.

So I recommend a policy of constructive inaction.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-07-2009, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article ,
June Hughes wrote:
[...]

I agree with Nick - the female flowers will come eventually - and then you
will be indundated with them. If your husband says he doesn't like them try
the following:

Mix together 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon sugar and 3 garlic
cloves, crushed. Chop courgettes into largish chunks and coat with oil
mixture. Roast in oven for 40-45 minutes until softened and coloured.
Brilliant with any roast meat. My husband was converted!!!

Jeanne

Sweet Roasted Marrow Wedges

Prep and cook time: 30 mins to 1 hour

Serves: 4

Ingredients
2 x 15ml spoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
salt and freshly ground black pepper
15ml spoon sugar
1 marrow, deseeded and cut into wedges

Method
Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas Mark 5.

Place the oil, garlic, salt, pepper and sugar in a large bowl and mix
together. Then add the prepared marrow and coat.

Transfer to a roasting tray and cook for 45 minutes or until softened and
coloured. Serve with any roasted meats.

Old 19-07-2009, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jeanne Stockdale
writes

wrote in message
In article ,
June Hughes wrote:
[...]

I shall try that, Jeanne. Many thanks to both you and Nick for the
solid advice.

I also hope to try the courgette cake in one of Nigella Lawson's books.
If it is any good, I shall let you have the recipe. It will be a little
while though - as soon as the plants start producing courgettes.

I am glad I asked here before visiting the garden centre, although I
know they would have been very patient and helpful.
--
June Hughes

Old 19-07-2009, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeanne Stockdale wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for those recipes

Saved!!

Old 20-07-2009, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:
I have never grown courgettes as my husband doesn't like them but
recently bought one plant to fill a space in a raised bed. It was very
soon producing courgettes and I was so pleased, I went to the garden
centre and bought two more plants, which I put in a gigantic pot. They
too grew quickly but it soon became apparent that they are both (I think
- I am a courgette bozo) male, as all they are producing is flowers on
stalks where you would expect the courgettes to be. They are also
rather prickly plants. I know you can cook the flowers and shall do so
but can anyone please tell me if there is anything I can do?

The first flowers are almost always male until the plant has enough
leaves to support female flowers with fruits. Just wait - you will be up
to the eyeballs in courgettes by the end of the season.

Sorry if this is a daft question. My garden centre is good and will
listen to my query but I want to talk to them with what appears to be a
modicum of courgette intelligence before I talk to them. Many TIA.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 20-07-2009, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Martin Brown writes
The first flowers are almost always male until the plant has enough
leaves to support female flowers with fruits. Just wait - you will be
up to the eyeballs in courgettes by the end of the season.

Is that the reason? I'd always assumed it was to aid cross pollination -
the pollen from the first few male flowers can only be used to pollinate
another plant. But you are undoubtedly right.
--
Kay
Old 20-07-2009, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 19, 2:14*pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
*Jeanne Stockdale wrote:
[...]

I'm looking for a recipe for a courgette souffle, I had it Friday
night, it was delicious.

Judith

Old 21-07-2009, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 July, 11:46, June Hughes wrote:
In message , June Hughes
writes

In message ,
writes
In article ,
June Hughes wrote:
I have never grown courgettes as my husband doesn't like them but
recently bought one plant to fill a space in a raised bed. *It was very
soon producing courgettes and I was so pleased, I went to the garden
centre and bought two more plants, which I put in a gigantic pot. *They
too grew quickly but it soon became apparent that they are both (I think
- I am a courgette bozo) male, as all they are producing is flowers on
stalks where you would expect the courgettes to be. *They are also
rather prickly plants. *I know you can cook the flowers and shall do so
but can anyone please tell me if there is anything I can do?

No, all courgettes are bisexual. *Most of the squashes seem to produce
quote a lot of male flowers before they start producing female ones.
Most varieties are prickly, but not all.

So I recommend a policy of constructive inaction.

That's just what I need to know. *So - I shall harvest the flowers,
cook them and wait and see what happens next. *I wonder why the first
plant went straight into courgette mode?

Forgot to say thank-you. *Sorry. *Thanks
--
June Hughes

My kids have never liked courgettes, or so they say - but I chop them
up and add them to curry in the early stages of cooking. After an hour
or two simmering, they have merged with the curry sauce and acted as a
thickener, with just the bits of green skin which could easily be
mistaken for peppers.

It is amazing how much surplus courgette can be 'hidden' in a curry
this way, and eaten by those who hate them.

Old 21-07-2009, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sutartsorric wrote:
It is amazing how much surplus courgette can be 'hidden' in a curry
this way, and eaten by those who hate them.

Indeed. Grated courgette (and carrot for that matter) disappears
completely, and both were a recent ingredient in a Spag Bol sauce made
for my elderly mother who professes to despise the things
Old 21-07-2009, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

sutartsorric writes
It is amazing how much surplus courgette can be 'hidden' in a curry
this way, and eaten by those who hate them.

It's amazing how many things can be hidden in a curry!

I got rid of quite a few substandard apples that way last autumn
--
Kay
Old 22-07-2009, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
sutartsorric writes
It is amazing how much surplus courgette can be 'hidden' in a curry this
way, and eaten by those who hate them.

It's amazing how many things can be hidden in a curry!

I got rid of quite a few substandard apples that way last autumn

Hmmmm we don't eat curry. Any other dishes for hiding these things?

Old 22-07-2009, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Ophelia writes

"K" wrote in message
sutartsorric writes
It is amazing how much surplus courgette can be 'hidden' in a curry this
way, and eaten by those who hate them.

It's amazing how many things can be hidden in a curry!

I got rid of quite a few substandard apples that way last autumn

Hmmmm we don't eat curry. Any other dishes for hiding these things?

Anything with a reasonably slow cooking sauce and a complicated flavour.
Sauces for pasta, rich stews and casseroles, for example.

--
Kay