Old 23-07-2009, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Courgettes

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

Throw courgettes away, drink red wine.
--

Martin

I don't drink red wine, so what do you suggest? :-)

Give it to me?

Problem is that they are one of the easiest veg to grow - and the glut at
the end is the main part of the problem !

Indeed Some of us are collecting recipes for using them up) So, if you
have any good recipes..................

Old 23-07-2009, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:04:16 +0100, "Pete Stockdale"
wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote in message

Throw courgettes away, drink red wine.
--

Martin

I don't drink red wine, so what do you suggest? :-)

Give it to me?

Problem is that they are one of the easiest veg to grow - and the glut at
the end is the main part of the problem !

We are overwhelmed with blackcurrants this year. For some reason the birds
don't
eat them.

Make wine/vinegar?

Old 23-07-2009, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:35:57 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote in message

Throw courgettes away, drink red wine.
--

Martin

I don't drink red wine, so what do you suggest? :-)

Give it to me?

Problem is that they are one of the easiest veg to grow - and the glut
at
the end is the main part of the problem !

We are overwhelmed with blackcurrants this year. For some reason the
birds
don't
eat them.

Make wine/vinegar?

Judith supplies the wine.

We hope

Blackcurrant vinegar?

Why not? When I was a child, ice cream from the ice cream seller had
raspberry vinegar liberally sprinkled on

Old 23-07-2009, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:30:05 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:13:47 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Jul 22, 7:31 pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:
I also like them simple, brushed with oil, seeds scooped out and
filled with a sausage meat, herb and fresh breadcrumb mix, drizzle
over olive oil and baked in the oven.

Oh yes Lovely. I was just interested in hiding them among other
dishes
to use them up

What about pickle?

Yers! What about pickle g just kidding) I don't have the
facilities at the moment, but that is a very good idea. Do you have
recipes
please?

It's an ingredient of Almost Original Branston Pickles.

http://www.recipezaar.com/The-Almost...-Recipe-246675

I have saved that, thank you

I'm looking for a good recipe for lime chutney.

I will have a wee look!

Old 23-07-2009, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:55:03 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:35:57 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote in message

Throw courgettes away, drink red wine.
--

Martin

I don't drink red wine, so what do you suggest? :-)

Give it to me?

Problem is that they are one of the easiest veg to grow - and the
glut
at
the end is the main part of the problem !

We are overwhelmed with blackcurrants this year. For some reason the
birds
don't
eat them.

Make wine/vinegar?

Judith supplies the wine.

We hope

Blackcurrant vinegar?

Why not? When I was a child, ice cream from the ice cream seller had
raspberry vinegar liberally sprinkled on

ATM almost everything I eat contains added fresh blackcurrants including
muesli.
I am the only one in the family who likes them.

I hope it keeps you regular..as they say..................

Old 23-07-2009, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in ...

Judith in France wrote:
I also like them simple, brushed with oil, seeds scooped out and
filled with a sausage meat, herb and fresh breadcrumb mix, drizzle
over olive oil and baked in the oven.

Oh yes Lovely. I was just interested in hiding them among other dishes
to use them up

What about pickle?

* * Yers! *What about pickle g *just kidding) *I don't have the
facilities at the moment, but that is a very good idea. *Do you have recipes
please?

Yes, I'll look it out, it's in a very old book by Marguerite Patton.

Judith
Old 23-07-2009, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 23, 10:39*am, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:34:43 +0100, "Ophelia" wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:15:31 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Jul 22, 9:40 pm, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:11:14 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jul 22, 7:36 am, "Ophelia" wrote:
"K" wrote in message

sutartsorric writes
It is amazing how much surplus courgette can be 'hidden' in a curry
this
way, and eaten by those who hate them.

It's amazing how many things can be hidden in a curry!

I got rid of quite a few substandard apples that way last autumn

Hmmmm we don't eat curry. Any other dishes for hiding these things?

I'm not keen either, however you can use spices such as cumin, to
enhance the flavour, sprinkle on. Cut up courgettes with skins on,
sprinkle with olive oil or a lighter oil, sprinkle on a little cumin,
and/or fresh herbs, even parsley chopped up very fine is good. A
small sprinkle of salt and white pepper and roast until cooked and
slightly brown, serve with any dish you like, fish or meat. You will
get some juice, if you want to make a sauce, use your imagination on
how to thicken it, if meat, I reduce it with a little red wine and if
fish I add fromage blanc or frais.

Throw courgettes away, drink red wine.
--

Martin

I don't drink red wine, so what do you suggest? *:-)

* *Give it to me?

I asked first!

Share?

or get Judith to order sufficient for us all?
--

Martin

Order???? come and visit the wine celler here, I'm not allowed to
touch the red stuff as himself has forbidden me to even tidy up over
there!

Judith
Old 23-07-2009, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 23, 10:39*am, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:35:57 +0100, "Ophelia" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote in message

Throw courgettes away, drink red wine.
--

Martin

I don't drink red wine, so what do you suggest? *:-)

* *Give it to me?

Problem is that they are one of the easiest veg to grow - and *the glut at
the end is the main part of the *problem !

We are overwhelmed with blackcurrants this year. For some reason the birds
don't
eat them.

Make wine/vinegar?

Judith supplies the wine.

Blackcurrant vinegar?
--

Martin

I was looking just yesterday on making fruit vinegars, we made jelly
from our currants this year, the yield is much smaller as the berries
are thrown away after pressing a bit. It has much less sugar and is
good with meats.

Judith
Old 23-07-2009, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 23, 10:55*am, "Ophelia" wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:35:57 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote in message

Throw courgettes away, drink red wine.
--

Martin

I don't drink red wine, so what do you suggest? *:-)

* *Give it to me?

Problem is that they are one of the easiest veg to grow - and *the glut
at
the end is the main part of the *problem !

We are overwhelmed with blackcurrants this year. For some reason the
birds
don't
eat them.

Make wine/vinegar?

Judith supplies the wine.

We hope

Blackcurrant vinegar?

Why not? *When I was a child, ice cream from the ice cream seller had
raspberry vinegar liberally sprinkled on

Lucky you getting an ice cream, with 5 of us, that didn't happen, too
expensive. Instead my Mother would buy a block of ice cream and give
us all a little slice between 2 wafers, I can still taste the soggy
wafer at the very last mouthful.

Judith
Old 23-07-2009, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 23, 10:04*am, "Pete Stockdale"
wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message

Throw courgettes away, drink red wine.
--

Martin

I don't drink red wine, so what do you suggest? *:-)

* *Give it to me?

Problem is that they are one of the easiest veg to grow - and *the glut at
the end is the main part of the *problem !

Regards
Petewww.thecanalshop.com

Certainly is. I now pick them every day, we have 4 big plants.
Picking them finger size is good, I eat them raw.

Judith

Old 23-07-2009, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 23, 11:24*am, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 03:19:04 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

Judith in France wrote:
I also like them simple, brushed with oil, seeds scooped out and
filled with a sausage meat, herb and fresh breadcrumb mix, drizzle
over olive oil and baked in the oven.

Oh yes Lovely. I was just interested in hiding them among other dishes
to use them up

What about pickle?

* * Yers! *What about pickle g *just kidding) *I don't have the
facilities at the moment, but that is a very good idea. *Do you have recipes
please?

Yes, I'll look it out, it's in a very old book by Marguerite Patton.

Fry the flowers in batter and stamp on the rest )

or plant marrows which have far more flavour and bigger flowers.
--

Martin

And are so much bigger that I can't cope with any more than 1 in a
month!!!! BTW I have a recipe for marrow and ginger jam, I love it!

Judith
Old 23-07-2009, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:13:00 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:55:03 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
news:ujag65l137q5th0j4a5ut8ahqcp0die9be@4ax. com...
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:04:16 +0100, "Pete Stockdale"
wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Even the cat gives me a wide berth.

lol

Old 23-07-2009, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message

Order???? come and visit the wine celler here, I'm not allowed to
touch the red stuff as himself has forbidden me to even tidy up over
there!

That's ok, I prefer white

Old 23-07-2009, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
Why not? When I was a child, ice cream from the ice cream seller had
raspberry vinegar liberally sprinkled on

Lucky you getting an ice cream, with 5 of us, that didn't happen, too
expensive. Instead my Mother would buy a block of ice cream and give
us all a little slice between 2 wafers,

Ahh but my beloved Grandpa used to take me down the park to the
clubhouse he belonged, (bowling I think). Other Grandpas would take their
grandchildren too and we all played together. We all got ice cream cones
(with raspberry vinegar) when the man on his bike with the cart in front
came by

I can still taste the soggy
wafer at the very last mouthful.

All part of the experience

Judith

Old 23-07-2009, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:51:09 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Judith in France" wrote in message
Why not? When I was a child, ice cream from the ice cream seller had
raspberry vinegar liberally sprinkled on

Lucky you getting an ice cream, with 5 of us, that didn't happen, too
expensive. Instead my Mother would buy a block of ice cream and give
us all a little slice between 2 wafers,

Ahh but my beloved Grandpa used to take me down the park to the
clubhouse he belonged, (bowling I think). Other Grandpas would take their
grandchildren too and we all played together. We all got ice cream cones
(with raspberry vinegar) when the man on his bike with the cart in front
came by

I can still taste the soggy
wafer at the very last mouthful.

All part of the experience

Judith

Your quoting has failed.

Only cos I didn't notice her signature at the end. Anyway, you need to be
nice to Judith! She has a recipe for lemon chutney and I suspect you could
use your limes instead