Old 30-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Registered User

Location: I live between my house in South Wales and our narrowboat on the Monmouth and Brecon canal.
Default Clematis.

Im a novice gardener.
My container grown clematis is just finishing its second lot of flowers and I would like to know what to do next please?
Some of the stems have gone woody and look to be dead but when I broke one yesterday they are still quite green inside despite some withered leaves.
Its been lovely this year and I would like to look after it well so any help would be greatly appreciated please.
Its been in the same 2 foot deep ceramic jardinere now for the last couple of years if thats any use to you.
Thanks again to all of you in anticipation.
Old 30-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Im a novice gardener.
My container grown clematis is just finishing its second lot of flowers and I would like to know what to do next please?
Some of the stems have gone woody and look to be dead but when I broke one yesterday they are still quite green inside despite some withered leaves.
Its been lovely this year and I would like to look after it well so any help would be greatly appreciated please.
Its been in the same 2 foot deep ceramic jardinere now for the last couple of years if thats any use to you.
Thanks again to all of you in anticipation.
Depends on the type of clematis. The label that came with it should have told you the pruning regime. If you still know the name, I advise googling for it and follow the information you find.
Old 30-07-2009, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-07-30 10:01:39 +0100, Buzzard
said:

Im a novice gardener.
My container grown clematis is just finishing its second lot of flowers
and I would like to know what to do next please?
Some of the stems have gone woody and look to be dead but when I broke
one yesterday they are still quite green inside despite some withered
leaves.
Its been lovely this year and I would like to look after it well so any
help would be greatly appreciated please.
Its been in the same 2 foot deep ceramic jardinere now for the last
couple of years if thats any use to you.
Thanks again to all of you in anticipation.

Can you put a photo of it onto tinypic or something like that? If you
don't know the name, that is! If you do know the name, I'm sure
someone here will help you.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-07-2009, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-07-30 10:01:39 +0100, Buzzard
said:

Im a novice gardener.
My container grown clematis is just finishing its second lot of flowers
and I would like to know what to do next please?
Some of the stems have gone woody and look to be dead but when I broke
one yesterday they are still quite green inside despite some withered
leaves.
Its been lovely this year and I would like to look after it well so any
help would be greatly appreciated please.
Its been in the same 2 foot deep ceramic jardinere now for the last
couple of years if thats any use to you.
Thanks again to all of you in anticipation.

Can you put a photo of it onto tinypic or something like that? If you
don't know the name, that is! If you do know the name, I'm sure
someone here will help you.

I'd give as much info as you can then wait for Mr. Pridham. Size of
flower, colours, obviously name, if poss. He'll know!

--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Deepest Dorset
Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Registered User

Location: I live between my house in South Wales and our narrowboat on the Monmouth and Brecon canal.

Thankyou for your replies. Im sorry not to get back to you before now but we were on our holidays.
The clematis is a Nellie Moser.
Id appreciate any advice on it please as to what to do with it now.
I suspect the compost is getting a little tired in the container by now.
The flowers this year were smaller than the last few years but it was still a lovely show.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Gopher;858790 Wrote:
In message
, Sacha
writes-
On 2009-07-30 10:01:39 +0100, Buzzard
said:
-
[...]

Now is a good time to re pot, or you can scrape off and top dress the
existing pot (minimum pot size should be at least 10 lts, 25lts+ if you
want to leave it and not keep repotting, feed next spring and you can
tidy off any tatty ends as well, but you are a bit late for cutting back
this year so best left with a tidy.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk