Old 06-08-2009, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bees

"Sacha" wrote in message

Without wishing to blow our own trumpet, we were asked to make a link

to a local bee keeping society and I made a page that includes a list of
plants that bees like:
http://www.hillhousenursery.com/buzz.html

That is excellent, thank you. Just what I needed.

I think you deserve to blow your own trumpet!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-06 10:54:33 +0100, Martin said:

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 10:51:04 +0100, "Ophelia" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

Without wishing to blow our own trumpet, we were asked to make a link
to a local bee keeping society and I made a page that includes a list of
plants that bees like:
http://www.hillhousenursery.com/buzz.html

That is excellent, thank you. Just what I needed.

I think you deserve to blow your own trumpet!!!

Toot toot!

If you visit the Helmsley Walled Garden check if the nesting boxes have been
taken over by wasp nests again.

Who? Me? Not a prayer!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-08-2009, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-06 10:51:04 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message

Without wishing to blow our own trumpet, we were asked to make a link

to a local bee keeping society and I made a page that includes a list of
plants that bees like:
http://www.hillhousenursery.com/buzz.html

That is excellent, thank you. Just what I needed.

I think you deserve to blow your own trumpet!!!

Very kind of you but its aim is to be useful to bee keepers or those
who want to attract bees to the garden! We do try to keep up with the
weeding but for example, always leave some of the bryony or coral, as
Ray calls it, here and there because birds love the berries. Over-tidy
gardens aren't attractive to my eyes, anyway - which is just as well -
but they're not wildlife friendly, either. I would love to let a large
part of the field go wild but unfortunately, with a Nursery the weed
seeds wouldn't be desirable. However, we do get a lot of grasshoppers
in there, had a large blue butterfly two years ago (which is quite
rare) and of course the grass snakes are up there, too, plus a small
arboretum.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Very kind of you but its aim is to be useful to bee keepers or those who
want to attract bees to the garden! We do try to keep up with the weeding
but for example, always leave some of the bryony or coral, as Ray calls
it, here and there because birds love the berries. Over-tidy gardens
aren't attractive to my eyes, anyway - which is just as well -

Yep, same here.. which as you say, is just as well g

but they're not wildlife friendly, either. I would love to let a large
part of the field go wild but unfortunately, with a Nursery the weed seeds
wouldn't be desirable. However, we do get a lot of grasshoppers in there,
had a large blue butterfly two years ago (which is quite rare) and of
course the grass snakes are up there, too, plus a small arboretum.

Sounds heavenly

Old 07-08-2009, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I am very interested in Sacha's comment, about having a 'hive' for
bumble bees. Have you heard anything about those?

Yes. They are easy to make, have a look on the web. I've made
several and they've all been taken up.
I've also drilled a log with holes for solitary bees and some of
holes are blocked up with clay, so I guess a few solitary bees found
it a good place to lay their eggs.

How do you attract them, or do they just find it?

They just find it, but my garden is very attractive to bees as I grow
plants that they like.

That is a good plan. Which plants do you consider best for this purpose?

I see Sacha has sent you a link and I probably can't do better (haven't read
it)
There is a plant that bees love, it's called green alkanet, it's it's a wild
plant very similar to borage.
Also buddliea (sp?) If you want bees and butterflies you must have this, it
is full of nectar. Mine was covered by butterflies today, Peacocks
particularly, Comma, RedAdmiral. lots of whites. The bees were there too
pushing the butterflies off ;-)

Tina

Old 07-08-2009, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

On 2009-08-05 21:20:31 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

Christina Websell wrote:

I am very interested in Sacha's comment, about having a 'hive' for
bumble bees. Have you heard anything about those?

Yes. They are easy to make, have a look on the web. I've made
several and they've all been taken up.
I've also drilled a log with holes for solitary bees and some of
holes are blocked up with clay, so I guess a few solitary bees found
it a good place to lay their eggs.

How do you attract them, or do they just find it?

You would need bee friendly plants nearby but things like sedums can be
grown in troughs and pots.

We have a bee friendly garden but it must be 2 months since we last saw
even a
bumble bee. There were lots of bumble bees in spring and now there are
none.
On Monday, we put one of those Victorian wasp traps in the garden & got
rid of
the wasp population too. I had to put a few drops of beer in it first.

Pigs are the next thing to have in your garden
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ternative.html
--

Yeah, right. Brilliant idea (not)

I am not in favour of suggesting to people who live in towns that the best
thing they can do is to keep chickens, bees or pigs.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 20:46:37 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I am not in favour of suggesting to people who live in towns that the best
thing they can do is to keep chickens, bees or pigs.

In the 1960s I rented a second floor development corporation flat in Cwmbran.
Among the things that were prohibited in the rent contract was keeping pigs

Quite right, too. Hippopotamuses are the thing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
wrote:

I am not in favour of suggesting to people who live in towns that the
best
thing they can do is to keep chickens, bees or pigs.

In the 1960s I rented a second floor development corporation flat in
Cwmbran.
Among the things that were prohibited in the rent contract was keeping
pigs

Quite right, too. Hippopotamuses are the thing.

hahaha How many do you have in your back garden? )

Old 07-08-2009, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 21:16:05 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

wrote in message
wrote:

I am not in favour of suggesting to people who live in towns that the
best
thing they can do is to keep chickens, bees or pigs.

In the 1960s I rented a second floor development corporation flat in
Cwmbran.
Among the things that were prohibited in the rent contract was keeping
pigs

Quite right, too. Hippopotamuses are the thing.

hahaha How many do you have in your back garden? )

His pigs are roosting in his orchard.

With your giraffes?

Old 07-08-2009, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 21:24:47 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 21:16:05 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

I am not in favour of suggesting to people who live in towns that the
best
thing they can do is to keep chickens, bees or pigs.

In the 1960s I rented a second floor development corporation flat in
Cwmbran.
Among the things that were prohibited in the rent contract was keeping
pigs

Quite right, too. Hippopotamuses are the thing.

hahaha How many do you have in your back garden? )

His pigs are roosting in his orchard.

With your giraffes?

with Fruit Bat.

Ah! Does he know?.. apart from it being the wrong group g

Old 07-08-2009, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 20:46:37 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

. ..

On 2009-08-05 21:20:31 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

The deeds of my house say I'm not allowed to be a fellmonger or a tallow
candle maker or a manure merchant by way of business.
I can keep pigs if I want to though. !!

Tina

Old 07-08-2009, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
wrote:

I am not in favour of suggesting to people who live in towns that the
best
thing they can do is to keep chickens, bees or pigs.

In the 1960s I rented a second floor development corporation flat in
Cwmbran.
Among the things that were prohibited in the rent contract was keeping
pigs

Quite right, too. Hippopotamuses are the thing.

Stop it, you bad boy Nick ;-)

Tina

Old 08-08-2009, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

The deeds of my house say I'm not allowed to be a fellmonger or a tallow
candle maker or a manure merchant by way of business.

What? How can you bear to live in a house in which you are not allowed to
be a fellmonger????

Pah.... they are just mean!

I can keep pigs if I want to though. !!

Oh, well that is a relief

Old 08-08-2009, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 07:20:31 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

The deeds of my house say I'm not allowed to be a fellmonger or a tallow
candle maker or a manure merchant by way of business.

What? How can you bear to live in a house in which you are not allowed to
be a fellmonger????

Pah.... they are just mean!

I can keep pigs if I want to though. !!

Oh, well that is a relief

Unless Christine is telling porkies.
A fellmonger is a dead cow plucker.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fellmongery

No, I am not telling porkies, it truly does say that on my house deeds.

A fellmonger is someone who will visit farms to take away "fallen stock"
i.e. animals that have died. They usually processed them into animal food.
We had a fellmonger only two miles away from here until recently. He used
to advertise himself as "Thomas Tertius Ross, fellmonger and licensed horse
slaughterer"
You could smell his yard half a mile away.

There's no danger I'll fall foul of my deeds, it's a job I would not want if
it was the last job in the world. At a pinch I could do tallow
candle-making and as for being a manure merchant, well - lots of chicken
manure here to sell!

Tina