Old 08-08-2009, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default butterfly garden

On 2009-08-07 14:51:46 +0100, hazchem
said:

I am going to plant a buddleia bush on some spare ground and let
nettles grow up. Are there any other plants that I can grow that will
help butterflies and other wildlife? There are some strange cabbagey
plants growing. I don't know what they are. There are a few different
weeds that look as if they are related to cabbages.

Andy

Eupatorium is bee and butterfly heaven.

Heh, I am saving all these posts and can only hope, that when I get a new
garden, I have enough space to attact every bee and butterfly in existence

I am now going to show off! It was a nice sunny morning so I sat outside
with my mid-morning cuppa to butterfly-watch at the side of my 3 buddleias.
Scores of Peacocks -they were the most plentiful, quite a few Red Admirals,
some Comma & sm. Tortoiseshells, lots of Whites but - wait for it - Painted
Ladies too !!!
It's the first time I've seen this migrant butterfly in my garden. I was
well pleased ;-)

A small piece of heaven. A sunny Saturday (rare thing) didn't have to go
to work, sitting in the sunshine with a cup of tea surrounded by clouds of
butterflies. Life doesn't get much better than that.

Tina

Old 08-08-2009, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:

On 2009-08-07 14:51:46 +0100, hazchem
said:

I am going to plant a buddleia bush on some spare ground and let
nettles grow up. Are there any other plants that I can grow that
will help butterflies and other wildlife? There are some strange
cabbagey plants growing. I don't know what they are. There are a
few different weeds that look as if they are related to cabbages.

Andy

Eupatorium is bee and butterfly heaven.

Heh, I am saving all these posts and can only hope, that when I get
a new garden, I have enough space to attact every bee and butterfly
in existence g

I am now going to show off! It was a nice sunny morning so I sat
outside with my mid-morning cuppa to butterfly-watch at the side of
my 3 buddleias. Scores of Peacocks -they were the most plentiful,
quite a few Red Admirals, some Comma & sm. Tortoiseshells, lots of
Whites but - wait for it - Painted Ladies too !!!
It's the first time I've seen this migrant butterfly in my garden. I
was well pleased ;-)

A small piece of heaven. A sunny Saturday (rare thing) didn't have
to go to work, sitting in the sunshine with a cup of tea surrounded
by clouds of butterflies. Life doesn't get much better than that.

... and I am indeed, impressed!

Old 13-08-2009, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

If anyone gets the chnace to visit the Butterfly World half finished
near the gardens of the Rose at St Albans do go.
Don't bother to park ad go in and pay the 12.50 exorbitant price, the
future gardens are awful, badly designed, ridiculous things, and not
well maintained. From a jewelled encrusted and tacky dragon to a forest
of dead trees and just three piles of chalk.
The Butterflies are housed in a small greenhouse set up and the geodesic
dome foundation (hasn't got a roof on yet is planted with thousands of
sunflowers, very few butterflies there!

BUT and it's a big but, as you go up to the car park all along the
verges for a mile or so there are thousands of wild flowers planted and
now in flower. So pretty and worth a trip in themselves. The flowers are
North American prairie ones but all easily recognisable and every colour
under the sun.
Do go if you can, just don't bother to go inside
p.s. The restaurant is inundated with wasps if that's any good!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph