Old 21-08-2009, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Book suggestions please

Our bright granddaughter, who will be 7 in a couple of weeks, has
specifically requested a book on plants, how they grow, propagate etc.
as a birthday present. Senior Management and I are stumped on a book
which should be sufficiently juvenile without being infantile. The young
lady in question is extremely intelligent, reads well and has no
difficulty in grasping basic concepts. Obviously descriptive
illustrations would be helpful in maintaining interest.

Does anyone have suggestions on a suitable book? If so we'd be very
grateful.

TIA
--
Tom W.
Dorset/UK
Old 21-08-2009, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tom Withycombe wrote:
Our bright granddaughter, who will be 7 in a couple of weeks, has
specifically requested a book on plants, how they grow, propagate etc.
as a birthday present. Senior Management and I are stumped on a book
which should be sufficiently juvenile without being infantile. The
young lady in question is extremely intelligent, reads well and has no
difficulty in grasping basic concepts. Obviously descriptive
illustrations would be helpful in maintaining interest.

Does anyone have suggestions on a suitable book? If so we'd be very
grateful.

TIA

The "Readers Digest Complete Library of the Garden" was good, I've
still got mine (3 Volumes) purchased new in the early sixties and I
still refer to it even now. Highly recommended.
Maybe Amazon can find you a set.

Cheers
Don
Old 21-08-2009, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tom Withycombe wrote:
Our bright granddaughter, who will be 7 in a couple of weeks, has
specifically requested a book on plants, how they grow, propagate etc.
as a birthday present. Senior Management and I are stumped on a book
which should be sufficiently juvenile without being infantile. The young
lady in question is extremely intelligent, reads well and has no
difficulty in grasping basic concepts. Obviously descriptive
illustrations would be helpful in maintaining interest.

Does anyone have suggestions on a suitable book? If so we'd be very
grateful.

TIA

The Dorling-Kindersly series are popular and not patronizing. Don't
know if there's an appropriate one, but you could look on here

http://www.dorlingkindersley-uk.co.u...ens/index.html

Some of the science books are very good indeed, my kids spend hours
poring over them.

-E
Old 21-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Withycombe[_2_] View Post
Our bright granddaughter, who will be 7 in a couple of weeks, has
specifically requested a book on plants, how they grow, propagate etc.
as a birthday present. Senior Management and I are stumped on a book
which should be sufficiently juvenile without being infantile. The young
lady in question is extremely intelligent, reads well and has no
difficulty in grasping basic concepts. Obviously descriptive
illustrations would be helpful in maintaining interest.

Does anyone have suggestions on a suitable book? If so we'd be very
grateful.

TIA
--
Tom W.
Dorset/UK
If she is reading freely, then do not go for a "child's version". Go for a really good, well illustrated but reasonably simple adult one. Apart from Hessayon, the Dorling Kindersley range are well presented and nicely illustrated; the Pocket Encyclopaedias will allow her to build up a library for herself.

"The Secret Life of a Garden" by Chris Beardsely might be a good starter.
Old 21-08-2009, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Emery Davis
writes
Tom Withycombe wrote:
[...]

Many thanks to all for the suggestions. With your help our problem
should soon be resolved.
--
Tom W.
Dorset/UK

Old 21-08-2009, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"beccabunga" wrote

'Tom Withycombe[_2_ Wrote:
;861973']Our bright granddaughter, who will be 7 in a couple of weeks,
[...]

Quite agree, get her an adult book on gardening, she can grow up into it
then and not throw it away when it becomes childish.
If a child is interested in gardening don't underestimate their need for
real knowledge and proper guidance.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-08-2009, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"beccabunga" wrote

'Tom Withycombe[_2_ Wrote:

[...]

Yes, I agree also. That is why I recommended the readers digest books, I
grew up with them and still
treasure the 3 volumes. They are beautifully illustrated and cover all
aspects of gardening, they also have
chapters called Children's Gardens, Plants of the Bible, Animals birds
and insects in the Garden, etc
which may be the ones that interest her to start with.
Do let us know what you decide to give her.
Regards
Don
Old 22-08-2009, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Donwill
writes
Bob Hobden wrote:
"beccabunga" wrote

'Tom Withycombe[_2_ Wrote:

[...]

Once again, very many thanks for the thought and consideration given to
this subject. The more it is investigated, the more complex it becomes -
the range of options being pretty wide. We have a couple of weeks yet
but will try not to forget to let you know of our decision. Am advised
that grandparents become increasingly forgetful ))

--
Tom W.
Dorset/UK