Old 22-08-2009, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Edible fungi?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ibf9rm&s=3
Photo taken near Cork Ireland, earlier this month.
I thought it was just a plastic bag at first.

Any (relevant) ideas?
Old 22-08-2009, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aquachimp" wrote in message
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ibf9rm&s=3
Photo taken near Cork Ireland, earlier this month.
I thought it was just a plastic bag at first.

Any (relevant) ideas?

Hard to tell from the photo but from the size my guess would be some species
of puffball. Whatever it is, it has been attacked by slugs or snails.
R.

Old 22-08-2009, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Ragnar writes

"aquachimp" wrote in message
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ibf9rm&s=3
Photo taken near Cork Ireland, earlier this month.
I thought it was just a plastic bag at first.

Any (relevant) ideas?

Hard to tell from the photo but from the size my guess would be some species
of puffball. Whatever it is, it has been attacked by slugs or snails.
R.

From the size I'd guess it's a well eaten giant puffball. If it were a
giant puffball I wouldn't eat it in that state. And I'm not confident
about this identification, so do NOT eat it - it could easily be a well
eaten something else which might not be edible.

--
Kay
Old 22-08-2009, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message

From the size I'd guess it's a well eaten giant puffball. If it were a
giant puffball I wouldn't eat it in that state. And I'm not confident
about this identification, so do NOT eat it - it could easily be a well
eaten something else which might not be edible.

One just has to have a giggle at your last sentence (:-)
You meant well I am sure !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 22-08-2009, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pete Stockdale
writes

"K" wrote in message

From the size I'd guess it's a well eaten giant puffball. If it were a
giant puffball I wouldn't eat it in that state. And I'm not confident
about this identification, so do NOT eat it - it could easily be a well
eaten something else which might not be edible.

One just has to have a giggle at your last sentence (:-)
You meant well I am sure !

I hope that you're not suggesting that the observation that it is well
eaten means that it is edible to humans - because that's not true. For
example, cinnabar moth caterpillars can produce well eaten common
ragworts, but you would be foolish to attempt to eat that plant.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 23-08-2009, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 22, 10:44*pm, K wrote:
Ragnar writes

"aquachimp" wrote in message
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ibf9rm&s=3
Photo taken near Cork Ireland, earlier this month.
I thought it was just a plastic bag at first.

Any (relevant) ideas?

Hard to tell from the photo but from the size my guess would be some species
of puffball. *Whatever it is, it has been attacked by slugs or snails.
R.

*From the size I'd guess it's a well eaten giant puffball. If it were a
giant puffball I wouldn't eat it in that state. And I'm not confident
about this identification, so do NOT eat it *- it could easily be a well
eaten something else which might not be edible.

--
Kay

Thanks all. No, I wont be eating it. besides, it's still there,
somewhere in Ireland and I'm back in Belgium. Just wondered.
Old 24-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Hard to tell from the photo but from the size my guess would be some species
of puffball. Whatever it is, it has been attacked by slugs or snails.
R.
With a top-only photo, for all we know it could have a stem and gills concealed underneath.

Giant puffball are mainly found on grassland, so probably not that. Also, any kind of puffball eventually goes black and dry inside, and puffs out those black, dry spores, and I think that would have happened by the time sufficient time had passed for it to get that tatty. If it was ever suitable for human consumption, it is long past its eat-by date.