Old 11-09-2009, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bacon for birds

Bit of a strange question, I'm afraid but I think it's relevant to a
group which loves the birds in their gardens: is it okay to give birds
smoked bacon rind?? Or would the smoked thing be bad for them?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-09-2009, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Bit of a strange question, I'm afraid but I think it's relevant to a group
which loves the birds in their gardens: is it okay to give birds smoked
bacon rind?? Or would the smoked thing be bad for them?
--
Sacha

Since my Quadruple Heart By-Pass and considering what the reason for it in
the first place, I don't eat much fat etc. Where does it go? On the bird
table, all nicely cut up for them :-))

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 11-09-2009, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:11:15 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Bit of a strange question, I'm afraid but I think it's relevant to a
group which loves the birds in their gardens: is it okay to give birds
smoked bacon rind?? Or would the smoked thing be bad for them?

In my experience the birds will eat lightly smoked bacon rind but
that's the limit. They don't eat anything more smoky.

Steve

Old 11-09-2009, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-11 11:21:21 +0100, Martin said:

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:11:15 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Bit of a strange question, I'm afraid but I think it's relevant to a
group which loves the birds in their gardens: is it okay to give birds
smoked bacon rind?? Or would the smoked thing be bad for them?

Is that chemical impregnated or smoked smoked?

Smoked smoked by our own very good butcher.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-11 11:30:18 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
said:

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:11:15 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Bit of a strange question, I'm afraid but I think it's relevant to a
group which loves the birds in their gardens: is it okay to give birds
smoked bacon rind?? Or would the smoked thing be bad for them?

In my experience the birds will eat lightly smoked bacon rind but
that's the limit. They don't eat anything more smoky.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I'll put it out and see if they take it. If they don't
I'll have to remember to get green bacon for them in future. ;-))

Old 11-09-2009, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-11 11:21:21 +0100, Martin said:

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:11:15 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Bit of a strange question, I'm afraid but I think it's relevant to a
group which loves the birds in their gardens: is it okay to give birds
smoked bacon rind?? Or would the smoked thing be bad for them?

Is that chemical impregnated or smoked smoked?

Smoked smoked by our own very good butcher.

Send it to me!

I would if I could but I bet there's some rule that says I can't!
Don't you get smoked bacon over there?

Old 11-09-2009, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-11 11:21:21 +0100, Martin said:

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:11:15 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Bit of a strange question, I'm afraid but I think it's relevant to a
group which loves the birds in their gardens: is it okay to give birds
smoked bacon rind?? Or would the smoked thing be bad for them?

Is that chemical impregnated or smoked smoked?

Smoked smoked by our own very good butcher.

Send it to me!

I would if I could but I bet there's some rule that says I can't!
Don't you get smoked bacon over there?

I don't know what the rules are but I recently sent a huge pack of
locally made bacon to a friend in California. She loves real bacon and
she says it isn't available in the USA. The pack I sent was clearly
marked as bacon, food product. It arrived without any problems.

Steve

Old 11-09-2009, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

Send it to me!

I would if I could but I bet there's some rule that says I can't! Don't
you get smoked bacon over there?

There isn't any smoked bacon over here in France, unless it's produced
by the handful of English butchers resident here using French pigs. I'm
baffled why such a tasty thing as bacon isn't part of standard French
cuisine. They do have potrine which is just the uncured part of the pig
corresponding to the streaky bacon part but it doesn't taste the same
without the curing. Similarly there is something called bacon that isn't
English bacon. Bacon is the one food I miss from England. :-(

Even your leftover smoky bacon rinds sound appetising!

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-11 13:33:46 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

Sacha wrote:

Send it to me!

I would if I could but I bet there's some rule that says I can't!
Don't you get smoked bacon over there?

There isn't any smoked bacon over here in France, unless it's produced
by the handful of English butchers resident here using French pigs. I'm
baffled why such a tasty thing as bacon isn't part of standard French
cuisine. They do have potrine which is just the uncured part of the pig
corresponding to the streaky bacon part but it doesn't taste the same
without the curing. Similarly there is something called bacon that
isn't English bacon. Bacon is the one food I miss from England. :-(

Even your leftover smoky bacon rinds sound appetising!

If you and Martin email me your snailmails, I'll send some off to you
both! Streaky or back, gentilhommes? For a short time, I lived in
Belgium and some friends of mine were at the British Embassy there.
Bacon and sausages came over regularly in the Diplomatic Bag.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

If you and Martin email me your snailmails, I'll send some off to you
both! Streaky or back, gentilhommes? For a short time, I lived in
Belgium and some friends of mine were at the British Embassy there.
Bacon and sausages came over regularly in the Diplomatic Bag.

We have a freezer full, but thanks for the offer. Every time we visit
the UK we come back with a mountain of it. We ration ourselves to bacon
once per week. With the current glut of tomatoes a bacon fry-up is much
enjoyed. Makes a change from tomato soup and tomato omelette and tomato
salad. I'll soon look like a tomato.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-11 13:33:46 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

Sacha wrote:

Send it to me!

I would if I could but I bet there's some rule that says I can't!
Don't you get smoked bacon over there?

There isn't any smoked bacon over here in France, unless it's produced
by the handful of English butchers resident here using French pigs. I'm
baffled why such a tasty thing as bacon isn't part of standard French
cuisine. They do have potrine which is just the uncured part of the pig
corresponding to the streaky bacon part but it doesn't taste the same
without the curing. Similarly there is something called bacon that
isn't English bacon. Bacon is the one food I miss from England. :-(

Even your leftover smoky bacon rinds sound appetising!

If you and Martin email me your snailmails, I'll send some off to you
both! Streaky or back, gentilhommes?

No need thanks, we are visiting UK soon. The Dutch post is a bit of shambles
since privatisation. You'd have a good chance of receiving the bacon you sent
marked undeliverable several months after you posted it.

For a short time, I lived in
Belgium and some friends of mine were at the British Embassy there.
Bacon and sausages came over regularly in the Diplomatic Bag.

Visitors used to bring me sausages. Once I returned from long holiday
to find a
bag of putrid sausages on my desk. In the meantime either UK sausages got worse
or I am more picky. I did make my own for a while.

Ah well, our butcher makes his own sausages, too - varying flavours and
they're excellent.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-11 14:29:59 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

Sacha wrote:

If you and Martin email me your snailmails, I'll send some off to you
both! Streaky or back, gentilhommes? For a short time, I lived in
Belgium and some friends of mine were at the British Embassy there.
Bacon and sausages came over regularly in the Diplomatic Bag.

We have a freezer full, but thanks for the offer. Every time we visit
the UK we come back with a mountain of it. We ration ourselves to bacon
once per week. With the current glut of tomatoes a bacon fry-up is much
enjoyed. Makes a change from tomato soup and tomato omelette and tomato
salad. I'll soon look like a tomato.

If you run out of bacon, let me know. As to tomatoes, one can *never*
have too many! I just love them and they're pouring out of the
greenhouse as fast as we can manage them.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-11 13:33:46 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

I read Martins comment above and thought the same. I'll happily send some
over if a snail is mailed.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 11-09-2009, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:

I read Martins comment above and thought the same. I'll happily send some
over if a snail is mailed.

How about a trade? There are lots of snails in the supermarkets here in
France, so I'll post you some in return for some bacon?

Old 11-09-2009, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote:
Pete C wrote:

I read Martins comment above and thought the same. I'll happily send
some over if a snail is mailed.

How about a trade? There are lots of snails in the supermarkets here
in France, so I'll post you some in return for some bacon?

Oh David, you must be joking.........my allotment is 80% earth, 20% snails!.
LOL
I love frogs legs and French butter, but neither travel well I guess
--
Pete C
London UK