Old 05-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Registered User

Default OT - bacon fat and birds

Hi all, sorry to be off topic, if you only want plant-related discussion, read no further!

Over the winter I've regularly been making a birdy mix for the garden with crumbs, old cake bits and mostly bacon fat from the grill. But I have a vague worry - I've heard that birds can't process salt and I wonder if it's possible that salt from the bacon stays in the fat?

Is this an irrational fear? Am I being daft? Or should I stop using grill fat and stick to the Crisp n Dry?

Incidentally, the birds love it and the garden fills up within ten minutes of it going out into my wee hanging containers.

Any opinions appreciated! Thanks, Bob
Old 05-01-2006, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"undergroundbob" wrote in message

Hi all, sorry to be off topic, if you only want plant-related
discussion, read no further!

Over the winter I've regularly been making a birdy mix for the garden
with crumbs, old cake bits and mostly bacon fat from the grill. But I
have a vague worry - I've heard that birds can't process salt and I
wonder if it's possible that salt from the bacon stays in the fat?

Is this an irrational fear? Am I being daft? Or should I stop using
grill fat and stick to the Crisp n Dry?

Incidentally, the birds love it and the garden fills up within ten
minutes of it going out into my wee hanging containers.
Any opinions appreciated! Thanks, Bob

See :
http://www.rspb.org/birds/advice/birdsalt/index.asp
and
http://www.rspb.org/gardens/whatyouc.../what_food.asp

Jenny :~))

Old 05-01-2006, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

--

"undergroundbob" wrote in message

Hi all, sorry to be off topic, if you only want plant-related
discussion, read no further!

Over the winter I've regularly been making a birdy mix for the garden
with crumbs, old cake bits and mostly bacon fat from the grill. But I
have a vague worry - I've heard that birds can't process salt and I
wonder if it's possible that salt from the bacon stays in the fat?

Is this an irrational fear? Am I being daft? Or should I stop using
grill fat and stick to the Crisp n Dry?

Incidentally, the birds love it and the garden fills up within ten
minutes of it going out into my wee hanging containers.

Any opinions appreciated! Thanks, Bob

salt kills birds.
--
www.fenland-fowl.com

Old 05-01-2006, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from undergroundbob contains
these words:

Hi all, sorry to be off topic, if you only want plant-related
discussion, read no further!

Over the winter I've regularly been making a birdy mix for the garden
with crumbs, old cake bits and mostly bacon fat from the grill. But I
have a vague worry - I've heard that birds can't process salt and I
wonder if it's possible that salt from the bacon stays in the fat?

Is this an irrational fear? Am I being daft? Or should I stop using
grill fat and stick to the Crisp n Dry?

Incidentally, the birds love it and the garden fills up within ten
minutes of it going out into my wee hanging containers.

Any opinions appreciated! Thanks, Bob

Bacon has other additives too. My butcher supplies on request (free)
big bags of fresh raw suet, the lumps of fat he hacks off beef
carcases. I bung it in a big pan and melt it down in the stove, remove
any undissolved gristle, and you have an ideal clear liquid fat for
mixing with crumbs, seeds, porridge oats, dried fruit etc. Pour it into
moulds and cool; it sets nice and hard. Birds love it.

Janet

I've done the same with what the butcher at the local store calls "meat
dust" which is just the fine ground meats and fats and bone dust and
everything else that they accumulate. I put mine in a loaf pan and bake it
down, and believe it or not, the woodpeckers adore it! The fat that cooks
off the "meat dust" I pour into another disposable aluminum pan and then I
use black sunflower seeds and make suet cakes for my many suet hangies.
They love the protein during these cold spells. g

maddie up on a cloudy, gloomy grayish-blue day of me birth,up on the ridge,
back in Faerie Holler, where my sweet Squire baked me an Amaretto birthday
cake with cherries for a smiley face! (not often we're the same age as the
year we're born)-- overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee

Old 05-01-2006, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from undergroundbob contains
these words:

Hi all, sorry to be off topic, if you only want plant-related
discussion, read no further!

Over the winter I've regularly been making a birdy mix for the garden
with crumbs, old cake bits and mostly bacon fat from the grill. But I
have a vague worry - I've heard that birds can't process salt and I
wonder if it's possible that salt from the bacon stays in the fat?

It can, and it does.

Is this an irrational fear? Am I being daft? Or should I stop using
grill fat and stick to the Crisp n Dry?

You can use it, but clarify it first by putting it in a saucepan with
some water and boiling it for five minutes. This dissolves the salt.

Incidentally, the birds love it and the garden fills up within ten
minutes of it going out into my wee hanging containers.

Any opinions appreciated! Thanks,

You can often get free fat from a butcher. Just cut it into chunks and
pass a string through them and hang them up.

If I'm rendering fat, I often do that with the left-overs - unless I
turn them into scratchings.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 06-01-2006, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message , madgardener
writes
maddie up on a cloudy, gloomy grayish-blue day of me birth,up on the
ridge, back in Faerie Holler, where my sweet Squire baked me an
Amaretto birthday cake with cherries for a smiley face! (not often
we're the same age as the year we're born)-- overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee

Happy birthday, maddie!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 06-01-2006, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from undergroundbob
contains these words:

[...]
But I have a vague worry - I've heard that birds can't process

salt
and I wonder if it's possible that salt from the bacon stays in

the
fat?

It can, and it does.

Is this an irrational fear? Am I being daft? Or should I stop

using
grill fat and stick to the Crisp n Dry?

You can use it, but clarify it first by putting it in a saucepan

with
some water and boiling it for five minutes. This dissolves the

salt.
[...]

But I don't think the dripping from grilled bacon actually has much
salt in it: doesn't seem to when I spread it on bread, anyhow. Are my
taste-buds getting insensitive?

--
Mike.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

But I don't think the dripping from grilled bacon actually has much
salt in it: doesn't seem to when I spread it on bread, anyhow. Are my
taste-buds getting insensitive?

A lot of bacon doesn't have much salt in it these days, either.

I buy proper bacon, which if hung up in a lump soon grows a crust of
salt crystals.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 06-01-2006, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 6/1/06 0:06, in article , "Klara"
wrote:

In message , madgardener
writes
maddie up on a cloudy, gloomy grayish-blue day of me birth,up on the
ridge, back in Faerie Holler, where my sweet Squire baked me an
Amaretto birthday cake with cherries for a smiley face! (not often
we're the same age as the year we're born)-- overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee

Happy birthday, maddie!

And from me, a fellow Capricorn - no wonder you live on a mountain. ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-01-2006, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains

these
words:

But I don't think the dripping from grilled bacon actually has

much
salt in it: doesn't seem to when I spread it on bread, anyhow. Are

my
taste-buds getting insensitive?

A lot of bacon doesn't have much salt in it these days, either.

Yes, and so it doesn't keep. Made worse by the wholesale substitution
of water for salt.

I buy proper bacon, which if hung up in a lump soon grows a crust

of
salt crystals.

Ah, yum! About a twice-a-year treat for me, I'm afraid: but it makes
a very welcome Christmas present for favoured relatives. I never
actually got it together to cure my own when I had pigs: I'll regret
it for the rest of my life.

--
Mike.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Registered User

Thanks for all responses, especially Rusty with your fat expertise! (as it were)

And I can't believe I didn't think of tasting the fat to see if it's salty - what an eejit (slaps forhead and admits annoyed grunt).
Old 06-01-2006, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

A lot of bacon doesn't have much salt in it these days, either.

Yes, and so it doesn't keep. Made worse by the wholesale substitution
of water for salt.

And injected milk protein.

I buy proper bacon, which if hung up in a lump soon grows a crust

of
salt crystals.

Ah, yum! About a twice-a-year treat for me, I'm afraid: but it makes
a very welcome Christmas present for favoured relatives. I never
actually got it together to cure my own when I had pigs: I'll regret
it for the rest of my life.

But the pigs were happy...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 07-01-2006, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

--

www.fenland-fowl.com
"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 6/1/06 0:06, in article , "Klara"
wrote:

In message , madgardener
writes
maddie up on a cloudy, gloomy grayish-blue day of me birth,up on the
ridge, back in Faerie Holler, where my sweet Squire baked me an
Amaretto birthday cake with cherries for a smiley face! (not often
we're the same age as the year we're born)-- overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee

Happy birthday, maddie!

And from me, a fellow Capricorn - no wonder you live on a mountain. ;-)

song High on the hill lives a lonely goat-herd yay odeelay odeelayhehooo
song

Old 07-01-2006, 06:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

THanks!! It's not often that we are the age of the year we're born in!!
(53........)
"Klara" wrote in message
In message , madgardener
writes

Old 07-01-2006, 06:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

why thank you fellow Cappie.............g
"PammyT" wrote in message

www.fenland-fowl.com
"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...