Old 10-10-2009, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Walnuts

What's the smart way to shell walnuts, I've got lots.

There has to be a better way than sitting down with nutcrackers and spending
ages to produce a tiny heap of bits.

mark

Old 10-10-2009, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mark
writes

What's the smart way to shell walnuts, I've got lots.

There has to be a better way than sitting down with nutcrackers and spending
ages to produce a tiny heap of bits.
mark

In the unlikely event that I eat walnuts, I squeeze two of them together
in my hand(s) until they split. I have never worked out what to
do about the last one.

--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 10-10-2009, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" asked:

What's the smart way to shell walnuts, I've got lots.
There has to be a better way than sitting down with nutcrackers and
spending ages to produce a tiny heap of bits.

Nutcrackers! You should be so lucky. We have lost ours and it appears that
they are fast becoming a thing of the past. I recently spent a whole morning
looking for nutcrackers, finishing up at Lakeland where I found a few.
Last year, a bag of walnuts I bought had a diamond shaped metal walnut
opener. It worked well on most of the nuts, but we still had to smash a few
with a hammer. One store I visited had a very impressive display of nuts,
but no nutcrackers. When I asked if they had any, I was told that the
Christmas period hadn't really started as yet. but they would be having a
few in November.

MD

Old 10-10-2009, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 15:00:26 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

What's the smart way to shell walnuts, I've got lots.

There has to be a better way than sitting down with nutcrackers and spending
ages to produce a tiny heap of bits.

mark

Decades ago my auntie had a nutcracker with a flat base that could
stand on the table. You put the nut in with one hand and pulled a
lever with the other. With a bit of practice it was easy to get up to
one nut a second. There is one called the "Rocket Nut Cracker"
available in the USA but I can't find a UK supplier.

Steve

Old 10-10-2009, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

What's the smart way to shell walnuts, I've got lots.

There has to be a better way than sitting down with nutcrackers and
spending ages to produce a tiny heap of bits.

I don't have trouble with nutcrackers, but it is quite possible that if you
close them too hard you will smash the kernels. Try being a little more
gentle when you are pressing the handles.

Alan

mark

Old 10-10-2009, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-10 15:00:26 +0100, "mark" said:

What's the smart way to shell walnuts, I've got lots.

There has to be a better way than sitting down with nutcrackers and spending
ages to produce a tiny heap of bits.

mark

Buy them in packets. Yes, I'm joking! More than half of the fun is
shelling them yourself, everyone waiting for 'their' turn for a bit of
brain etc.
--
Sacha

Old 10-10-2009, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, mark wrote:

What's the smart way to shell walnuts, I've got lots.

There has to be a better way than sitting down with nutcrackers and spending
ages to produce a tiny heap of bits.

The best nutcracker I ever had was called a Crackerjack. It had a kind
of ratchet which gradually put pressure on the nut until it cracked.
Ideal for walnuts.

I see there are some on Ebay at the moment.

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 10-10-2009, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

There has to be a better way than sitting down with nutcrackers and
spending ages to produce a tiny heap of bits.

Leave them for the squirrels. They seem to able to open them in seconds.

Getting the insides back might be tricky though ...

Al.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan.holmes wrote:

There has to be a better way than sitting down with nutcrackers and
spending ages to produce a tiny heap of bits.

I don't have trouble with nutcrackers, but it is quite possible that if you
close them too hard you will smash the kernels. Try being a little more
gentle when you are pressing the handles.

That is often easier said than done. I've often just increased the force
a little, nothing, so increased a little more then wham - pile of mushed
pulp! I think the secret is to get nut crackers with long handles so you
can apply more leverage but in a controlled manner.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

David in Normandy writes
alan.holmes wrote:

There has to be a better way than sitting down with nutcrackers and
spending ages to produce a tiny heap of bits.

I don't have trouble with nutcrackers, but it is quite possible that
if you close them too hard you will smash the kernels. Try being a
little more gentle when you are pressing the handles.

That is often easier said than done. I've often just increased the
force a little, nothing, so increased a little more then wham - pile of
mushed pulp! I think the secret is to get nut crackers with long
handles so you can apply more leverage but in a controlled manner.

You need nutcrakers suited to the size of nut - closed, they need to be
just a couple of millimetres smaller than the nut. It is hard to crack
walnuts without breaking if you're using nutcrackers capable of cracking
hazelnuts.

--
Kay
Old 11-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al[_4_] View Post
There has to be a better way than sitting down with nutcrackers and
spending ages to produce a tiny heap of bits.

Leave them for the squirrels. They seem to able to open them in seconds.

Getting the insides back might be tricky though ...

Al.
Any Craft Fayres your way? Look for a woods turners stall. They often buy nutcrackers which are fitted into a turned bowl. You can always hit them with a sledgehammer and then pick out the bits.!!!!!
Bigal
Old 11-10-2009, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Les Hemmings wrote:
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Decades ago my auntie had a nutcracker with a flat base that could
stand on the table. You put the nut in with one hand and pulled a
lever with the other. With a bit of practice it was easy to get up to
one nut a second. There is one called the "Rocket Nut Cracker"
available in the USA but I can't find a UK supplier.

Steve

Ship to US & Canada only (

http://www.reednutcracker.com/html/rocket.htm

There's an opening in the market for someone there!

es, but would such an enterprise be considered nuts or crackers?
On the other hand maybe it would be a cracking opportunity Gromit ;-)

Old 11-10-2009, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
alan.holmes wrote:

There has to be a better way than sitting down with nutcrackers and
spending ages to produce a tiny heap of bits.

I don't have trouble with nutcrackers, but it is quite possible that if
you close them too hard you will smash the kernels. Try being a little
more gentle when you are pressing the handles.

That is often easier said than done. I've often just increased the force a
little, nothing, so increased a little more then wham - pile of mushed
pulp! I think the secret is to get nut crackers with long handles so you
can apply more leverage but in a controlled manner.

Could it be the way the nutcrackers are used, I always start with the
crackers aligned with the joint on the shell, then rotate the nut and lastly
go to the ends on the nut.

Alan

Old 11-10-2009, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bigal wrote:

'Al[_4_ Wrote:
;866753'] There has to be a better way than sitting down with
nutcrackers and-
spending ages to produce a tiny heap of bits.-

Leave them for the squirrels. They seem to able to open them in
seconds.

Getting the insides back might be tricky though ...

Any Craft Fayres your way? Look for a woods turners stall. They often
buy nutcrackers which are fitted into a turned bowl. You can always
hit them with a sledgehammer and then pick out the bits.!!!!!

Cracking nuts with a hammer is a very good way of doing it, once you
have the knack you can apply just enough force to crack the shell.
Just don't use a slegehammer. :-)
--
Phil Cook http://www.therewaslight.co.uk

How can I sell walnuts? Michael Kohrs alt.forestry 0 21-09-2003 07:23 AM
Walnuts! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 08-06-2003 07:56 PM
Walnuts RandyB Gardening 4 28-04-2003 12:08 AM
stop the walnuts rebecc Gardening 11 16-04-2003 03:20 AM
Strange things happening to the walnuts! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 29-09-2002 10:58 PM