Old 12-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Registered User

Unhappy twisted willow

I have a dwarf twisted willow, which I got this year..I put it in a tub with multipurpose compost..The leaves keep renewing themselves, then drying up and falling off..Am I doing something wrong..?
Old 13-10-2009, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default twisted willow

--
solaara

Sounds like it's getting too dry. Willows need a lot of water. the tub
may be a mistake.

Jonathan
Old 13-10-2009, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jonathan" wrote in message
On 12 Oct, 21:44, solaara wrote:
I have a dwarf twisted willow, which I got this year..I put it in a tub
with multipurpose compost..The leaves keep renewing themselves, then
drying up and falling off..Am I doing something wrong..?

--
solaara

Sounds like it's getting too dry. Willows need a lot of water. the tub
may be a mistake.

Jonathan

Yes, I generally agree with that. However, because it's a dwarf form, it
may cope with the pot provided you keep up with the watering. However, bear
in mind that it will lose its leaves about now anyway, so you will no longer
have that 'dehydration barometer'.

Spider

Old 14-10-2009, 01:27 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaara View Post
I have a dwarf twisted willow, which I got this year..I put it in a tub with multipurpose compost..The leaves keep renewing themselves, then drying up and falling off..Am I doing something wrong..?
Looking at the description, "dwarf" is a highly relative term since this can grow to over 20 feet high, not that far off the "normal" form. Unless you keep it well pruned, it will not stay dwarf for a long time, and like all willows will need plenty of water.

I am always a bit suspicious of trees sold as "dwarf" forms. Many become monsters if you turn your back - particularly those sold as suitable for troughs or rock gardens.