Old 25-11-2009, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Opinions on "Indoor Allotment" Idea

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Pete Stockdale" contains these words:

"Donwill" wrote in message
Something I hadn't thought about earlier is the insurance aspect, if
it's
horticultural glass as opposed to toughened
you might run in to problems there.

Highly likely that it will be horticultural glass.

I do not see what problems it should legitably raise though

I think you'll find allotments (or, the owner of the land ) require
public liability insurance;
and many allotment owners have children in tow. Horticultural glass is
thin and breaks into narrow shards
so would be a safety hazard.

I do not think that we are looking at a family outing project here
but more a project involving like minded horticulturalists.

But we are discussing hypotheticals here.

Perhaps R will come back with some clarification.

I would have thought however that public liability insurance only comes in
to play
when the location /event involves attendance by the public- not the workers.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 25-11-2009, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message
I would have thought however that public liability insurance only comes in
to play
when the location /event involves attendance by the public- not the
workers.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

If a plot holder brings his wife/friend/son/daughter/neighbour or other non
paying plot holder in 'just to help harvest', they are then deemed to be
'Public'.

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 25-11-2009, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message
I would have thought however that public liability insurance only comes
in to play
when the location /event involves attendance by the public- not the
workers.

If a plot holder brings his wife/friend/son/daughter/neighbour or other
non paying plot holder in 'just to help harvest', they are then deemed to
be 'Public'.

I accept that his help- harvest granny may be "Public" as well.
She will just have to be left at home along with all the other hangers-on
(:-).

This does not render the project unviable.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 25-11-2009, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-25 19:27:18 +0000, "Pete Stockdale"

"Donwill" wrote in message
[...]

You won't get only the growers on allotments over time. At some point
families will visit, including young or small children. You'd probably
have to be insured against some idiot vandal cutting themselves when
they try to shatter all the glass with stones, or whatever.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-11-2009, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Opinions on "Indoor Allotment" Idea ---- FOLOW UP

"R" wrote in message
Given that there is (reportedly) a shortage of allotments around the UK
generally, and that with the overall demise of garden space urbanwise what
say the group about the idea of division of a very large ex-commercial
greenhouse into "units" for people to use ?

Thus far my idea is divide the existing 200ft x 80ft greenhouse into 10ft
square "plots", dividing if required by walls of tarpaulin or somesuch
with the front of the greenhouse as a shop/sales area for produce etc
(Already exists in reality).

Would there be problems with cross pollination and other issues?

Suggestions and constructive criticism welcome.

Taking on board the observations and suggestions from people on this NG and
investigating the rates and planning required the idea, although sound in
its plan, is a non starter.

Rates will add over £10 a week per person to the plot cost (Which was going
to be £10 a week) plus the insco costs, adding another £12 per person it
makes the total way too much to bear for most people.

Thanks to all for the ideas and observations though.

Old 28-11-2009, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"R" wrote in message

"R" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for letting us know. Glad you did ALL the homework before going
toooooooooooooooo far.

Best wishes for whatever you do decide to do with the greenhouse.