Old 24-11-2009, 06:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Opinions on "Indoor Allotment" Idea

Given that there is (reportedly) a shortage of allotments around the UK
generally, and that with the overall demise of garden space urbanwise what
say the group about the idea of division of a very large ex-commercial
greenhouse into "units" for people to use ?

Thus far my idea is divide the existing 200ft x 80ft greenhouse into 10ft
square "plots", dividing if required by walls of tarpaulin or somesuch with
the front of the greenhouse as a shop/sales area for produce etc (Already
exists in reality).

Would there be problems with cross pollination and other issues?

Suggestions and constructive criticism welcome.

Old 24-11-2009, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

R writes
Given that there is (reportedly) a shortage of allotments around the UK
generally, and that with the overall demise of garden space urbanwise what
say the group about the idea of division of a very large ex-commercial
greenhouse into "units" for people to use ?

I think that's a great idea. Presumably you'd charge people for use?
Have you checked on allotment rents? - they're not very high - you might
find that people would not be willing to pay a rent that was economic
for you. Bear in mind that even if you decided not to heat the
greenhouse, you'd still need to maintain it, so your costs would be
higher than if you were the owner of a conventional allotment site.

You will need to provide a water supply.
What would you do about staging? You could leave that to the
plot-holders.

Thus far my idea is divide the existing 200ft x 80ft greenhouse into 10ft
square "plots", dividing if required by walls of tarpaulin or somesuch

I don't see the need for that, and it would cut down light especially
for the inside plots. You'll need to leave reasonably generous paths
between the plots.

with
the front of the greenhouse as a shop/sales area for produce etc (Already
exists in reality).

I'd expect most people would be more interested in growing for
themselves.

Would there be problems with cross pollination and other issues?

Only if people were saving seed for next year, and not much more than on
an allotment.

There would be a problem with pests - they can multiply and spread
quickly under glass.

There are decisions to be made about management. For example, are pests
to be managed using biological controls - a very attractive option
nowadays since so many of greenhouse pests are now resistant to the
pesticides available to the home gardener? Or are you using pesticides?
- you can't mix the two, because the pesticide will kill the biological
controls as well as the pest.

What temperature will you try to maintain in the greenhouse - eg what
level of shading in the summer? How much ventilation?
--
Kay
Old 24-11-2009, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"R" wrote ...
Given that there is (reportedly) a shortage of allotments around the UK
generally, and that with the overall demise of garden space urbanwise what
say the group about the idea of division of a very large ex-commercial
greenhouse into "units" for people to use ?

Thus far my idea is divide the existing 200ft x 80ft greenhouse into 10ft
square "plots", dividing if required by walls of tarpaulin or somesuch
with the front of the greenhouse as a shop/sales area for produce etc
(Already exists in reality).

Would there be problems with cross pollination and other issues?

Suggestions and constructive criticism welcome.

Excellent idea, I'd love a plot for the chillies etc, but there are a few
issues I foresee..

Everyone will have to walk through each others plots to get to theirs.
Will everyone use the same amount of chemicals to control pests at the same
time?
(It would have to be all organic or all not)
Will everyone keep their plots to the same level of cleanliness?

There will need to be a strong Management Committee with strong rules!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-11-2009, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"R" wrote in message
Given that there is (reportedly) a shortage of allotments around the UK
generally, and that with the overall demise of garden space urbanwise what
say the group about the idea of division of a very large ex-commercial
greenhouse into "units" for people to use ?

Thus far my idea is divide the existing 200ft x 80ft greenhouse into 10ft
square "plots", dividing if required by walls of tarpaulin or somesuch
with the front of the greenhouse as a shop/sales area for produce etc
(Already exists in reality).

Would there be problems with cross pollination and other issues?

Suggestions and constructive criticism welcome.

Planning Permission for 'Change of use'?
Parking?
Plot holder's Insurance when they damage a pane of glass for example?
Security of plot holder's tools? Or would you allow each plot to have a lock
up shed? ;-(

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 24-11-2009, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

R wrote:
Given that there is (reportedly) a shortage of allotments around the UK
generally, and that with the overall demise of garden space urbanwise what
say the group about the idea of division of a very large ex-commercial
greenhouse into "units" for people to use ?

Thus far my idea is divide the existing 200ft x 80ft greenhouse into 10ft
square "plots", dividing if required by walls of tarpaulin or somesuch with
the front of the greenhouse as a shop/sales area for produce etc (Already
exists in reality).

Would there be problems with cross pollination and other issues?

Suggestions and constructive criticism welcome.

Problems could be:
Ventilation, disease control, heating, drainage, artificial lighting
(spill over), shading. watering.

You might require a central corridor to access individual areas, and
probably a comittee to decide on agreed common practices.
Don

Old 24-11-2009, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 07:56:44 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"R" wrote ...
[...]

Sounds a good idea. It would be best organised by an exxisting
allotments committe so that everyone already knows each other.
Old 24-11-2009, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Having said all that; the most covetable garden features I have ever
encountered, was an enormous second hand commercial greenhouse
which somebody had moved to his own very large garden. It must have
been 60 m long. Outside, it was pleasantly screened by planting.
Inside he had a growing area for crops; exotic ornamental plants, a
large indoor pond, a potting area , and a paved area with sofas, table
and chairs, radio and CD player. The huge roof supplied all the watering
needs.

I think that the success of the project rather depends on your expectations.
Do you expect a commercially viable profit or would it be run as a non -
profit making community project ?

I have had a brief dabble along the former principle and regretted it.
There is a reasonable chance for success if you can assemble a few
likeminded amateur enthusiasts.

The costs and produce could be shared if you maintain the "single" house
system or if using the "divisible" system, the produce would be individual
division owners and costs allocated by prior agreement.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 24-11-2009, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"R" wrote in message
Given that there is (reportedly) a shortage of allotments around the UK
generally, and that with the overall demise of garden space urbanwise what
say the group about the idea of division of a very large ex-commercial
greenhouse into "units" for people to use ?

Thus far my idea is divide the existing 200ft x 80ft greenhouse into 10ft
square "plots", dividing if required by walls of tarpaulin or somesuch
with the front of the greenhouse as a shop/sales area for produce etc
(Already exists in reality).

Would there be problems with cross pollination and other issues?

Suggestions and constructive criticism welcome.

bigger plots= less people = less arguments?

mark

Old 24-11-2009, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"R" wrote in message
Given that there is (reportedly) a shortage of allotments around the UK
generally, and that with the overall demise of garden space urbanwise
what say the group about the idea of division of a very large
ex-commercial greenhouse into "units" for people to use ?

Thus far my idea is divide the existing 200ft x 80ft greenhouse into 10ft
square "plots", dividing if required by walls of tarpaulin or somesuch
with the front of the greenhouse as a shop/sales area for produce etc
(Already exists in reality).

Would there be problems with cross pollination and other issues?

Suggestions and constructive criticism welcome.

bigger plots= less people = less arguments?

mark

and on Marks recommendations, two walkways of four feet width 24 feet apart
down length of the greenhouse leaving 3 x beds 24 feet long across the
greenhouse, divided x 10 feet wide = 60 plots

Old 24-11-2009, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"R" wrote in message
[...]

Still sounds like a lot of people. I doubt all would have cars and all would
turn up at once, but the car parking issue would need addressing.

mark

Old 24-11-2009, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

R wrote:
Given that there is (reportedly) a shortage of allotments around the UK
generally, and that with the overall demise of garden space urbanwise what
say the group about the idea of division of a very large ex-commercial
greenhouse into "units" for people to use ?

Thus far my idea is divide the existing 200ft x 80ft greenhouse into 10ft
square "plots", dividing if required by walls of tarpaulin or somesuch with
the front of the greenhouse as a shop/sales area for produce etc (Already
exists in reality).

Would there be problems with cross pollination and other issues?

Suggestions and constructive criticism welcome.

Something I hadn't thought about earlier is the insurance aspect, if
it's horticultural glass as opposed to toughened
you might run in to problems there.
Don
Old 24-11-2009, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"R" wrote in message
[...]

Car Parking was one of the first things I raised, AND change of use with
Planning

My gut reaction is that it is not a viable proposition.

Old 24-11-2009, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donwill" wrote in message
Something I hadn't thought about earlier is the insurance aspect, if it's
horticultural glass as opposed to toughened
you might run in to problems there.

Highly likely that it will be horticultural glass.

I do not see what problems it should legitably raise though.

After all - it will only be used for protecting growing stuff, not peeps
driving along the motorway !
Unless some jobsworth can prove otherwise (:-(

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 24-11-2009, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-24 06:24:53 +0000, "R" said:

Given that there is (reportedly) a shortage of allotments around the UK
generally, and that with the overall demise of garden space urbanwise what
say the group about the idea of division of a very large ex-commercial
greenhouse into "units" for people to use ?

Thus far my idea is divide the existing 200ft x 80ft greenhouse into 10ft
square "plots", dividing if required by walls of tarpaulin or somesuch with
the front of the greenhouse as a shop/sales area for produce etc (Already
exists in reality).

Would there be problems with cross pollination and other issues?

Suggestions and constructive criticism welcome.

Very, very basically, you would have to have people who really
understood the use of large greenhouse areas. Without wishing to be
pessimistic, I can foresee arguments over pest control and opening the
vents or closing the vents or which crop needs how much
water/humidity/heat/direct sun, etc.
--
Sacha

Old 24-11-2009, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-24 20:34:09 +0000, "Pete Stockdale"
said:

"Donwill" wrote in message
Something I hadn't thought about earlier is the insurance aspect, if it's
horticultural glass as opposed to toughened
you might run in to problems there.

Highly likely that it will be horticultural glass.

I do not see what problems it should legitably raise though.

After all - it will only be used for protecting growing stuff, not peeps
driving along the motorway !
Unless some jobsworth can prove otherwise (:-(

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

On an allotment which many families use and visit, multiply the
possibility of collisions with glass by potential dozens. That's a
problem.
--
Sacha