Old 07-12-2009, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Interesting

Since the weather turned cooler, Ive had an influx of field mice into the
house. They have been munching on the cereals that my wife stores in the
cupboard under the stairs.
Now I have been setting traps for the last two weeks and got Zilch. Watched
the Grime fighters the other night and saw the pest control guy used
Chocolate Spread to bait his traps, tried it last night, caught 2 of the
little buggers. Apparently Peanut Butter is good as well. )

~Brian~

Old 07-12-2009, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"~Brian~" wrote in message
om...
Since the weather turned cooler, Ive had an influx of field mice into the
house. They have been munching on the cereals that my wife stores in the
cupboard under the stairs.
Now I have been setting traps for the last two weeks and got Zilch.
Watched
the Grime fighters the other night and saw the pest control guy used
Chocolate Spread to bait his traps, tried it last night, caught 2 of the
little buggers. Apparently Peanut Butter is good as well. )

I've been using peanut butter for ages and it is very effective.

Alan

~Brian~

Old 07-12-2009, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan.holmes wrote:
"~Brian~" wrote in message
om...
Since the weather turned cooler, Ive had an influx of field mice into the
house. They have been munching on the cereals that my wife stores in the
cupboard under the stairs.
Now I have been setting traps for the last two weeks and got Zilch.
Watched
the Grime fighters the other night and saw the pest control guy used
Chocolate Spread to bait his traps, tried it last night, caught 2 of the
little buggers. Apparently Peanut Butter is good as well. )

I've been using peanut butter for ages and it is very effective.

Alan

~Brian~

I warm the metal prong of a steel trap, and press a piece of milk
chocolate onto it.

That's very effective too.

--
Rusty
Old 07-12-2009, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"~Brian~" wrote in message
om...
Since the weather turned cooler, Ive had an influx of field mice into the
house. They have been munching on the cereals that my wife stores in the
cupboard under the stairs.
Now I have been setting traps for the last two weeks and got Zilch.
Watched
the Grime fighters the other night and saw the pest control guy used
Chocolate Spread to bait his traps, tried it last night, caught 2 of the
little buggers. Apparently Peanut Butter is good as well. )

I've been using peanut butter for ages and it is very effective.

As are sunflower seeds.

Steve

Old 07-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brian~ View Post
Since the weather turned cooler, Ive had an influx of field mice into the
house. They have been munching on the cereals that my wife stores in the
cupboard under the stairs.
Now I have been setting traps for the last two weeks and got Zilch. Watched
the Grime fighters the other night and saw the pest control guy used
Chocolate Spread to bait his traps, tried it last night, caught 2 of the
little buggers. Apparently Peanut Butter is good as well. )

~Brian~
Chocolate drops always worked! But I then to drive a good two miles in order to let the little brutes loose; Dropping them over the wall only meant they were back within 24 hours.

NB It is illegal to release vermin into the wild, whether or not the vermin came in from the wild.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 7 Dec, 18:59, "shazzbat" wrote:
"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"~Brian~" wrote in message
. com...
Since the weather turned cooler, Ive had an influx of field mice into the
house. They have been munching on the cereals that my wife stores in the
cupboard under the stairs.
Now I have been setting traps for the last two weeks and got Zilch.
Watched
the Grime fighters the other night and saw the pest control guy used
Chocolate Spread to bait his traps, tried it last night, caught 2 of the
little buggers. Apparently Peanut Butter is good as well. )

I've been using peanut butter for ages and it is very effective.

As are sunflower seeds.

Steve

I go back to basics and just use peanuts
David Hill
Old 07-12-2009, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Dave Hill wrote:
I go back to basics and just use peanuts

Peanut butter is less likely to roll off, and harder for them to nick
without setting off the trap.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

beccabunga wrote:
~Brian~;871369 Wrote:
[...]

True, but are fieldmice classed as vermin? (Or are they like weeds, nice
ickle things, but in the wrong place?)

And I'd like to know why the RSPCA are allowed to release sackfuls of
urban foxen into the wild, where they just die due to lack of their
usual prey, the urban dustbin.

--
Rusty
Old 08-12-2009, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

"~Brian~" wrote in message
om...
Since the weather turned cooler, Ive had an influx of field mice into the
house. They have been munching on the cereals that my wife stores in the
cupboard under the stairs.
Now I have been setting traps for the last two weeks and got Zilch.
Watched
the Grime fighters the other night and saw the pest control guy used
Chocolate Spread to bait his traps, tried it last night, caught 2 of the
little buggers. Apparently Peanut Butter is good as well. )

Mouses love fat (especially at this time of year when they're trying to put
weight on for the worst of the winter). Anything with plenty of fat will
catch them. I use bacon rind (when I don't hard fry it till it pops for the
best "pork scratchings" for myself, try it, you'll love it) but as you saw,
chocolate spread, peanut butter, lard, just about anything with lots of
calories in it will work.

Tom

Old 09-12-2009, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Dave Hill wrote:
I go back to basics and just use peanuts

Peanut butter is less likely to roll off, and harder for them to nick
without setting off the trap.

I prefer to use a catch alive trap so they can be released. Why is it
necessary to kill them?

Tina

Old 09-12-2009, 12:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
Peanut butter is less likely to roll off, and harder for them to nick
without setting off the trap.

I prefer to use a catch alive trap so they can be released. Why is it
necessary to kill them?

Normally I wouldn't approve of killing anything, but after 6 years of
mice getting in to the kitchen every year and pooing all over my can
cupboard, I've pretty much resigned myself to it. I've tried putting
them outside (back in the nice warm compost bin) and they just come
back. I'm not going to take them on an hour long walk just to dispose
of them outside of walking distance of a house ...
Old 09-12-2009, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Seems kind hearted but it isn't really, where do you release them? too
close and the are back the same day, to far and its either territory
with no food supply or its taken, either way they starve. especially
as by now they will have established their winter food stashes
(mostly from your cupboards!)
But I can see where you are coming from, they are cute and most of the
year not too much trouble

Releasing them again doesnt seem to be sensible, yes they look cute and
cuddly but the bottom line is *They are vermin* and do spread disease and
such. I wont use a live trap for this reason. Vermin control firms are kept
constantly busy ridding people of these pests, and make a fair living at it.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Hinge[_2_] View Post

True, but are fieldmice classed as vermin? (Or are they like weeds, nice
ickle things, but in the wrong place?)

And I'd like to know why the RSPCA are allowed to release sackfuls of
urban foxen into the wild, where they just die due to lack of their
usual prey, the urban dustbin.

--
Rusty
All rodents are vermin.

As to the RSPCA, you tell me why they should be exempt from national laws.