Old 14-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Registered User

Default New to forum - question about roses

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to gardening! I wonder if you could offer some advice?

I have just received a hybrid tea rose. I'm in the East Midlands and I'm wondering whether it is okay to plant it at this time of year? Should I start preparing the soil now to plant the rose in a few weeks time in mid-January?

Or should I wait until March-April? If I need to wait until spring what should I do to take care of the plant in the meantime - how and where should I store it?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.
Old 14-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Registered User

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edh78 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to gardening! I wonder if you could offer some advice?

I have just received a hybrid tea rose. I'm in the East Midlands and I'm wondering whether it is okay to plant it at this time of year? Should I start preparing the soil now to plant the rose in a few weeks time in mid-January?

Or should I wait until March-April? If I need to wait until spring what should I do to take care of the plant in the meantime - how and where should I store it?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.
It is too late this year for safe planting.

If the rose is in a pot, leave in that, but keep it protected from the pot freezing. If it is is bare-rooted, then heel the plant into a border till planting time in the spring.
Old 14-12-2009, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Edh78 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to gardening! I wonder if you could offer
some advice?

I have just received a hybrid tea rose. I'm in the East Midlands and I'm
wondering whether it is okay to plant it at this time of year? Should I
start preparing the soil now to plant the rose in a few weeks time in
mid-January?

Or should I wait until March-April? If I need to wait until spring what
should I do to take care of the plant in the meantime - how and where
should I store it?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

You don't say if it bare rooted or in a pot. If potted it does not
matter. If bare rooted and you allow the roots to dry out it will not
bode well. If you cannot plant it now because the ground is not prepared
just heal it into a spare spot, it will be ok then for a few weeks. It
is fine to plant now.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 14-12-2009, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Edh78 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to gardening! I wonder if you could offer
some advice?

Plesed to - first, this is Usenet, so not a forum.

I have just received a hybrid tea rose. I'm in the East Midlands and I'm
wondering whether it is okay to plant it at this time of year? Should I
start preparing the soil now to plant the rose in a few weeks time in
mid-January?

Plant it any time you like - the sooner the better. If it is bare-root,
it might pay to spread straw over the roots until things warm up, but
really, it shouldn't be necessary, even in the East Mudlands.

Or should I wait until March-April? If I need to wait until spring what
should I do to take care of the plant in the meantime - how and where
should I store it?

In the ground, where it belongs. Leaving it until the spring (I presume
it must be container-grown?) tempts fate, especially if you have a
memory like mine.

--
Rusty
Old 14-12-2009, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Edh78" wrote

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to gardening! I wonder if you could offer
some advice?

I have just received a hybrid tea rose. I'm in the East Midlands and I'm
wondering whether it is okay to plant it at this time of year? Should I
start preparing the soil now to plant the rose in a few weeks time in
mid-January?

Or should I wait until March-April? If I need to wait until spring what
should I do to take care of the plant in the meantime - how and where
should I store it?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

Welcome to this Newsgroup.
You don't say if it's pot grown but assuming it is then plant it asap, it
will be safer planted than left outside in it's pot so the roots can freeze.
A mulch over the roots once planted will ensure they stay nice and snug.
If your rose is bare rooted (no soil around the roots) then that makes it
imperative you get it planted immediately to stop the roots drying out and
dying. If you can't plant it in it's permanent position then plant it
somewhere else for the time being (called heeling in) and replant in the
early spring.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-12-2009, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Edh78" wrote in message

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to gardening! I wonder if you could offer
some advice?

First, this is NOT a forum, it is a newsgroup.

Unfortunately I do not have ay experence with flowers as I only grow stuff
to eat, so cannot help you with that one, but I'm sure some of the other
contributors to this newsgroup will be able to give you reliable advise.

Alan

Old 14-12-2009, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 alan.holmes wrote:

I'm new to this forum and new to gardening! I wonder if you could offer
some advice?

First, this is NOT a forum, it is a newsgroup.

That's a bit unkind to a first time poster, Alan, and a trivial
distinction. As it says in the definition on Wikipedia:

"Early Internet forums could be described as a web version of a
newsgroup or electronic mailing list (many of which were commonly called
Usenet); allowing people to post messages and comment on other
messages."

I mention it only because I seem to remember you were even more unkind
to me on my first post in this forum (sic) back in 1995.

Be NICE to people then they won't have reason to take offence! :-)

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 14-12-2009, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 14 Dec, 08:27, Edh78 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to gardening! I wonder if you could offer
some advice?

I have just received a hybrid tea rose. I'm in the East Midlands and I'm
wondering whether it is okay to plant it at this time of year? Should I
start preparing the soil now to plant the rose in a few weeks time in
mid-January?

Or should I wait until March-April? If I need to wait until spring what
should I do to take care of the plant in the meantime - how and where
should I store it?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

--
Edh78

Just get it planted asap. The bare root planting season runs from
November to March - early April if you must, but watch the watering. I
prefer to plant before Christmas if possible. The only thing that need
stop you planting is hard frozen ground - a thin crust of frozen soil
isn't a problem so long as you scrape that off and set it aside and
you only put unfrozen soil back in. Correct planting depth is
important - you will notice that your rose is a 'plant of 2 halves'
The nobbly junction is the grafting union between the rootstock and
the cultivated rose - that union needs to be a little below the
surface after planting and firming in well (welly, not fingers please)

Rod
Old 14-12-2009, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

beccabunga wrote:
Edh78;871870 Wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to gardening! I wonder if you could offer
some advice?

I have just received a hybrid tea rose. I'm in the East Midlands and I'm
wondering whether it is okay to plant it at this time of year? Should I
start preparing the soil now to plant the rose in a few weeks time in
mid-January?

Or should I wait until March-April? If I need to wait until spring what
should I do to take care of the plant in the meantime - how and where
should I store it?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

It is too late this year for safe planting.

If the rose is in a pot, leave in that, but keep it protected from the
pot freezing. If it is is bare-rooted, then heel the plant into a border
till planting time in the spring.

Totally disagree.

--
Rusty
Old 14-12-2009, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rod wrote:
On 14 Dec, 08:27, Edh78 wrote:
[...]

I planted a quince a couple of weeks ago. I'd bought a family tree the
previous year, having asked a nursery if they had a Charles Ross. The
only one they had was on this uncheap family tree, along with Discovery
and James Grieve.

I went along with this as James Grieve isn't the worst aople in the
world, though Discovery might be just runner-up to Golden Disasterous.
Thinks I - 'I'll have that off and graft on something decent next year.'

Dicovery showed, Jame Grieve did too, but where there should have bee
apples about the size of a small planet - Worcesters...

So, as compensation for a year wasted, and no Charles Ross, they offered
a refund. I suggested that as I had a perfectly sound tree to graft
onto, they might just replace the Charles Ross bit.

They didn't have a Charles Ross, so I suggested a quince, which I duly
collected. I didn't expect it to be about nine feet in its container,
though.

It was fun getting it the fourteen miles home on the bus,,,

--
Rusty

Old 15-12-2009, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 14 Dec, 12:11, beccabunga
wrote:
Edh78;871870 Wrote:

[...]

Absolutely not.
The bare root planting season is approx Nov-March - into early April
if you must.
Container plants can go in anytime the ground isn't frozen or
waterlogged. Watch the watering in the summer.
It is a common misconception that plants can be 'warehoused' in pots.
They can't, they will almost certainly deteriorate and sooner or later
they will need to be re-potted or better still planted.

Rod
Old 15-12-2009, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 alan.holmes wrote:

I'm new to this forum and new to gardening! I wonder if you could offer
some advice?

First, this is NOT a forum, it is a newsgroup.

That's a bit unkind to a first time poster, Alan, and a trivial
distinction. As it says in the definition on Wikipedia:

Merely trying to put him right, which is vital to any post!

Alan