Old 01-01-2010, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default John Cushnie dies

Have you heard the latest news that John Cushnie has died? GQT will
never be the same again. His humour was unique. He had great
knowledge too.

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-01-2010, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 13:51:54 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

Have you heard the latest news that John Cushnie has died? GQT will
never be the same again. His humour was unique. He had great
knowledge too.

Pam in Bristol

Indeed. After a heart attack according to the Beeb, but at what age?

Regards
JonH
Old 01-01-2010, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Have you heard the latest news that John Cushnie has died? GQT will
never be the same again. His humour was unique. He had great
knowledge too.

Pam in Bristol

Indeed. After a heart attack according to the Beeb, but at what age?

Regards
JonH

""Cushnie, who was believed to be in his late sixties"".

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 01-01-2010, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

Have you heard the latest news that John Cushnie has died? *GQT will
never be the same again. *His humour was unique. *He had great
knowledge too.

Pam in Bristol

Indeed. *After a heart attack according to the Beeb, but at what age?

Regards
JonH

""Cushnie, who was believed to be in his late sixties"".

--
Mike

The Royal Naval Electrical Branch Associationwww.rneba.org.uk
Luxury Self Catering on the Isle of Wight?www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

SEE

Old 01-01-2010, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Have you heard the latest news that John Cushnie has died? GQT will
never be the same again. His humour was unique. He had great
knowledge too.

Who was he?

Old 01-01-2010, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Have you heard the latest news that John Cushnie has died? GQT will
never be the same again. His humour was unique. He had great
knowledge too.

Who was he?

A panelist on the BBC Radio 4's Gardeners' Question time. Website he
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qp2f

Old 01-01-2010, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
Have you heard the latest news that John Cushnie has died? GQT will
never be the same again. His humour was unique. He had great
knowledge too.

A great loss, but they said that about Fred Loades and others.

There's no dearth of characters in the gardening plot. He'll be missed
sorely, thobut.

--
Rusty
Old 01-01-2010, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-01 17:24:46 +0000, Rusty Hinge
said:

Pam Moore wrote:
Have you heard the latest news that John Cushnie has died? GQT will
never be the same again. His humour was unique. He had great
knowledge too.

A great loss, but they said that about Fred Loades and others.

There's no dearth of characters in the gardening plot. He'll be missed
sorely, thobut.

Young, too, in modern terms. I'm so sorry for his family, as well as
all the listeners.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-01-2010, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
wrote:

Indeed. After a heart attack according to the Beeb, but at what age?

66, apparently.

Wot ho, Anne.

Report on progress - the hop had enough cones last year to make about a
bottle of beer.

High hopes for this year innit.

--
Rusty

Old 02-01-2010, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:
Wot ho, Anne.

Report on progress - the hop had enough cones last year to make
about a bottle of beer.

High hopes for this year innit.

Good news, that she survived the trip south. Let me know when
you get a good brew going, and I'll be down for a sample! ;-)

I might even bring some of "Scotland's Finest" with me...

Haggis?

Got any seeds?

(Nearly finished a bottle of Big Peat and not got a lot of Linkwood left...)

Also nearly finished making a kilt belt from a strip of stout leather
(3½" wide) and the brasswork from a turnip^h^h^h^baldric made to be worn
on one occasion only by an ossifer during Queen Victoria's visit to a
small private regiment in Bredalbane. I bought the buckle, slider-loop
and finial in Killin in 1960. Might just wear it (and the rest!) should
you do so.

You might have to make do with Douglas, the Buchanan flappything isn't
afforded yet innit, ye ken.

There might even be bananas by the time hops are picked, (t)oasted, used
as flavouring and then brewed and matured.

--
Rusty
Old 02-01-2010, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Anne Welsh Jackson
writes
Rusty Hinge wrote:

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:

I might even bring some of "Scotland's Finest" with me...

Haggis?
Got any seeds?

G No, something slightly longer-lasting...

(Nearly finished a bottle of Big Peat and not got a lot of Linkwood left...)

I've only got Bunnahabhain, Bruichladdich, and Ardbeg in stock ATM...

Also nearly finished making a kilt belt from a strip of stout leather
(3½" wide) and the brasswork from a turnip^h^h^h^baldric made to be worn
on one occasion only by an ossifer during Queen Victoria's visit to a
small private regiment in Bredalbane. I bought the buckle, slider-loop
and finial in Killin in 1960. Might just wear it (and the rest!) should
you do so.

You might have to make do with Douglas, the Buchanan flappything isn't
afforded yet innit, ye ken.

I can live with the Douglas. The Buchanan is like nothing so much
as an explosion in a paint factory, IMO. Gey sair on the een, an' aa!

There might even be bananas by the time hops are picked, (t)oasted,
used as flavouring and then brewed and matured.

I'm in no hurry. I've got a lot on my plate at present, as you know...

Anna, with strong Islay connections I can only endorse your
Bunnahabhain, Bruichladdich and Ardbeg selection - although I note the
absence of several other single malts from that glorious island.
Notwithstanding - bliadhna mhath ur!!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gopher wrote:

I've only got Bunnahabhain, Bruichladdich, and Ardbeg in stock ATM...

Anna, with strong Islay connections I can only endorse your
Bunnahabhain, Bruichladdich and Ardbeg selection - although
I note the absence of several other single malts from that glorious
island. Notwithstanding - bliadhna mhath ur!!

There was more, but "himself" drank it. He's particularly partial to
Laphroaig, and Bowmore... Yes, he (and several friends) did have
"bliadhna mhath ur"!! ;-)

Aaaah .... Bowmore! The round church and the distillery at either end of
Main Street. But the church is on the high ground looking down on the
other. Such perfect symmetry :-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 04-01-2010, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:
Wot ho, Anne.

Report on progress - the hop had enough cones last year to make about a
bottle of beer.

High hopes for this year innit.

Good news, that she survived the trip south. Let me know when you get a
good brew going, and I'll be down for a sample! ;-)

I might even bring some of "Scotland's Finest" with me...

Haggis?

Got any seeds?

If anyone has any seeds for haggis I would love some!

Alan

Old 04-01-2010, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:
Wot ho, Anne.

Report on progress - the hop had enough cones last year to make about a
bottle of beer.

High hopes for this year innit.

Good news, that she survived the trip south. Let me know when you get a
good brew going, and I'll be down for a sample! ;-)

I might even bring some of "Scotland's Finest" with me...

Haggis?

Got any seeds?

If anyone has any seeds for haggis I would love some!

Alan

'SEEDS?'

'PLANT?'

'HAGGIS?'

Every educated person knows that a Haggis is a four legged animal which runs
round the mountains of Scotland. It has longer legs on one side to keep it
on a level plain. The 'Clockwise' Haggis has legs long on the left, shorter
on the right, the 'Anticlockwise' Haggis, rarer and more of a delicacy, has
its longer legs on the right side.

It doesn't have to be grown, it's HUNTED.

And I am South of ALL borders