Old 04-01-2010, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default John Cushnie dies

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
/snip/

I can live with the Douglas. The Buchanan is like nothing so much
as an explosion in a paint factory, IMO. Gey sair on the een, an' aa!

Depends - the veggie-dyed one is to die for - all olive greens, russets,
bracken and a little plum.

I've a breacan in mind which is genuinely old though, and predominently
green.

I wouldn't have the puke in a jam factory as a shroud...

(see http:www//girolle.co.uk/hinge1.html )

There might even be bananas by the time hops are picked, (t)oasted,
used as flavouring and then brewed and matured.

I'm in no hurry. I've got a lot on my plate at present, as you know...

Aye...

--
Rusty
Old 04-01-2010, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gopher wrote:

Anna, with strong Islay connections I can only endorse your
Bunnahabhain, Bruichladdich and Ardbeg selection - although I note the
absence of several other single malts from that glorious island.
Notwithstanding - bliadhna mhath ur!!

Be very careful with your typos!

My Big Peat (alas a deid-yin noo) was a blend of malts (vatting,
Sirley?) distilled in/at Ardbeg, Caol Ila, Bowmore and Port Ellen.

Taken t its bottled strength of 46% you are immediately hit by the
phenols, especially those of Ardbeg.

Add a touch of (proper) water, and the flavour is predominantly of Caol Ila.

I take it without water beause of this...

Slàinte.

--
Rusty
Old 04-01-2010, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:

There was more, but "himself" drank it. He's particularly partial to
Laphroaig, and Bowmore... Yes, he (and several friends) did have
"bliadhna mhath ur"!! ;-)

I was introduced to Laphroaig in 1958 and Linkwood in 1963. While they
are as alike as chalk and cheese, these remain 1 and 2 in my estimation.

Stubbsy induced me to try Ardbeg, which I adore too.

--
Rusty
Old 04-01-2010, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gopher wrote:
In message , Anne Welsh Jackson
writes
Gopher wrote:

I've only got Bunnahabhain, Bruichladdich, and Ardbeg in stock ATM...

Anna, with strong Islay connections I can only endorse your
Bunnahabhain, Bruichladdich and Ardbeg selection - although
I note the absence of several other single malts from that glorious
island. Notwithstanding - bliadhna mhath ur!!

There was more, but "himself" drank it. He's particularly partial to
Laphroaig, and Bowmore... Yes, he (and several friends) did have
"bliadhna mhath ur"!! ;-)

Aaaah .... Bowmore! The round church and the distillery at either end of
Main Street. But the church is on the high ground looking down on the
other. Such perfect symmetry :-))

Bowmore, Bowmore, burning bright
In the bothans of the night?

--
Rusty
Old 04-01-2010, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan.holmes wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:
Wot ho, Anne.
Report on progress - the hop had enough cones last year to make about a
bottle of beer.
High hopes for this year innit.
Good news, that she survived the trip south. Let me know when you get a
good brew going, and I'll be down for a sample! ;-)

I might even bring some of "Scotland's Finest" with me...

Haggis?

Got any seeds?

If anyone has any seeds for haggis I would love some!

Try this then:

Get a lamb's pluck. (Sheep's pluck is better, but your butcher may not
be able to get one)

Halve the liver and set one half aside (after safe removal of the gall
bladder!) If you use the whole liver, your haggis will taste of little else.

Chop lights, heart and one half-liver and place in a saucepan with four
or more peeled, quartered onions.

Simmer for a couple of hours.

Remove pluck parts from the broth and mince them. You may mince the
onions too, but some recipes don't mention this.

Mix the minced pluck and onions (if used) in a basin. Add a tablespoon
of black peppercorns, ground, about a quarter to half a nutmeg, scraped,
a tablespoon of thyme and powdered rosemary.

Salt is traditional, but I leave this out.

Stir in a pound of chopped suet (that from round the sheep's kidneys is
best, but beef suet will do. ('Vegetable suet' is hydrogenised - i.e. -
trans-fat, and I eschew it as unhealthy...)

Add a pound of medium oatmeal - the haggs holds together better than
with pinhed. Stir together, moistening with the broth left from cooking
the pluck.

The pudding should be about the consistency of rock cake mix.

Put into greased basins, cover with foil and steam or simmer in shallow
water for about two hours - unless you're using silly little basins,
that is.

--
Rusty

Old 04-01-2010, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 20:03:10 +0000, Rusty Hinge
wrote:

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:

There was more, but "himself" drank it. He's particularly partial to
Laphroaig, and Bowmore... Yes, he (and several friends) did have
"bliadhna mhath ur"!! ;-)

I was introduced to Laphroaig in 1958 and Linkwood in 1963. While they
are as alike as chalk and cheese, these remain 1 and 2 in my estimation.

Stubbsy induced me to try Ardbeg, which I adore too.

Ardbeg is the dachshund's draggers

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 04-01-2010, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:
[...]

Thanks, will might try it one day, if I can remember!(:-)

Alan

Old 04-01-2010, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jennifer Sparkes
writes

Yes very sad news indeed. GQT has lost a great panelist and it is a
loss for GQT listeners too.

My heart goes out to his family.

Jennifer - in Bristol

I have his "Tress for the garden " book, a wonderful book !
I loved his sense of humour. He will be missed.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 05-01-2010, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
There was more, but "himself" drank it. He's particularly partial to
Laphroaig, and Bowmore... Yes, he (and several friends) did have
"bliadhna mhath ur"!! ;-)

I was introduced to Laphroaig in 1958 and Linkwood in 1963. While they
are as alike as chalk and cheese, these remain 1 and 2 in my estimation.

Stubbsy induced me to try Ardbeg, which I adore too.

Ardbeg is the dachshund's draggers

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is similar, but Rudolf's nose hued.

--
Rusty
Old 05-01-2010, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:
[...]

Oops! Forgot the 'penny loaf' rendered into breadcrumbs - or equal
weight of oatmeal.

Since haggis is a poor man's pudding, I view the inclusion of
breadcrumbs with suspicion. Make that 1½ lbs of oatmeal.

True, having rather a lot of Scottish blood in my whisky-stream, I dry
stale bread, crusts &c and crush or chop these in a food processor to
make breadcrumbs for future needs innit ye ken.

--
Rusty

Old 05-01-2010, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan.holmes wrote:

Thanks, will might try it one day, if I can remember!(:-)

Try this too- Athol Brose:

Take a cupful of medium oatmeal.

Boil a kettle of water and scald the oatmeal in a basin, strring
furiously while pouring the boiling water.

Mix to a thick paste - this will thicken still more in a little time.

Add a goodly measure of whisky and stir in, then eat with honey and cream.

I *LOVE* oatmeal...

--
Rusty