Old 06-01-2010, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Colder and colder

On 2010-01-06 10:15:01 +0000, ®óñ© *© *²°¹°-°¹

said:

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 00:27:06 -0800 (PST), Dave Poole
wrote:

Just woke up to snow here! *A good inch or so by the looks of it.
This is the first time since the mid 80's that we've had overnight
snow, which has settled so for me it's a bit of a novelty. *Ah,
reading back I see that Sacha is to blame for this ;¬) * It almost
takes me back to winters of my yoof when this kind of whether was the
norm and for us kids, as eagerly awaited as Christmas.

7 - 8" here in S Wales overnight.

Much more of this global warming and we'll be snowed in until Easter.

My daughter reckons she has about 5" of snow over her Chepstow garden.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

There is South Wales and there is South Wales, we are almost snow
free, we had around half an inch last night after around the same
yesterday mid morning, last night the temp went down to just 30f and
is now at 38f with the sun shining.
We are around 450 ft up, looking down on the Mumbles light house
(Swansea) where the weather has been almost tropical by the standards
of what everyone else is having.
see http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/...latest_weather..
.
Whilst a few miles away inlant they have quite a lot of snow, and
going east to Cardiff more heavy snow.
David Hill

I was quite surprised that she had that much because she can see the
Severn (just) from her house. How far is Chepstow from you, David?

Old 06-01-2010, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-06 15:57:47 +0000, June Hughes said:

In message , Pete C
writes

June Hughes wrote:
In message , Sacha
writes
It went to -6C here last night and it even snowed this morning. We
had the most wonderful fluorescent orange sunrise this morning - I
thought someone was training a brilliantly coloured lamp on the
corner of one of the greenhouses. The sun came out for a brief
while and now it's clouding over rapidly. I must admit that I'm
sneakily hoping for just a bit more snow!

I hope you have plenty of provisions, Sacha. My 93-year-old neighbour
died a couple of months ago and I used to have his key for the
help-line organisation (an excellent service). When he died, his
children told me I could have what I liked from the house and I
decided to have his paraffin heater. It's a really old one but has a
spare wick and has been well maintained. You don't get them like
that nowadays. I also had his wooden-handled shovel. Its handle was
all wet and soggy when I got it but it has dried out a treat. You
don't get too many of those nowadays either. I am looking forward to
putting a few seeds in the greenhouse and lighting up the heater in
February. It will remind me of him, as well as being very useful.

That's nice. Hopefully, he'll be looking down smiling

If he is, he's probably thinking 'silly old bat' but it's a nice
thought. Thanks Pete.

I have taken Sacha's advice and oiled the handle of the shovel.

Oh good - I hope it rewards you with years of service

Old 06-01-2010, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2010-01-06 10:15:01 +0000, -

seehttp://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/mumbles_head_latest_weather..
.
Whilst *a few miles away inlant they have quite a lot of snow, and
going east to Cardiff more heavy snow.
David Hill

I was quite surprised that she had that much because she can see the
Severn (just) from her house. * How far is Chepstow from you, David?
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Chepstow to us by motorway is around 75 miles when the sun shines, in
the rain it seems more like 90.
David Hill
Old 06-01-2010, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-06 15:06:41 +0000, Dave Hill sa

id:

On 2010-01-06 10:15:01 +0000, -

wrote:

[...]

So near and yet so far. I hope we can get up there for a few days
break late spring/early summer, so it would be good to see you if we do
manage it. I pop up and down from time to time but it's usually for a
day and then home again.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

On Jan 6, 11:01*am, Janet Baraclough wrote:

Dave Poole wrote:
It almost
takes me back to winters of my yoof when this kind of whether was the
norm

I'm not sure weather that's correct Inglish. :-)

That's what happens when you're in a hurry to get out and about ;-)

* *Wethers won't care, they've suffered a far worse fate.

Reminds me of that silly old joke about if you're feeling under the we
(a)ther, you might be feeling a little dickie.

No?

I'll get my coat.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Poole writes

Dave Poole wrote:
It almost
takes me back to winters of my yoof when this kind of whether was the
norm
I'm not sure weather that's correct Inglish. :-)

That's what happens when you're in a hurry to get out and about ;-)

* *Wethers won't care, they've suffered a far worse fate.

Reminds me of that silly old joke about if you're feeling under the we
(a)ther, you might be feeling a little dickie.

No?

I'll get my coat.

June Hughes

Getting colder? Sacha United Kingdom 18 09-02-2005 10:02 AM
Containment in colder climates MC Bamboo 1 26-06-2004 11:07 PM
Lecture on growing Apricots in colder climates Sherwin Dubren Edible Gardening 0 25-01-2004 05:32 AM
Zone 3 or colder plants? Looking for fragrant/bright, long lasting flowers for Calgary, Alberta. Some One Gardening 9 15-07-2003 05:23 AM
chinas/teas in colder zones Gallica Roses 5 12-03-2003 12:11 AM