Old 05-01-2010, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Colder and colder

Sacha wrote:
It went to -6C here last night and it even snowed this morning. We had
the most wonderful fluorescent orange sunrise this morning - I thought
someone was training a brilliantly coloured lamp on the corner of one of
the greenhouses. The sun came out for a brief while and now it's
clouding over rapidly. I must admit that I'm sneakily hoping for just a
bit more snow!

Well, everyone in S. Devon will know whom to blame tomorrow morning...

--
Rusty
Old 05-01-2010, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:

You seem all prepared for being snowed in, Sacha. I haven't oiled the
handle of the shovel but now you have said that, I shall do so. It has
only just dried out and I don't want it to rot.

Check with a knowledgeable supplier - I *THINK* you need boiled linseed
oil, which IIRC doesn't oxidise to hardness.

Anyway, raw or boiled, it is *NOT* the one used in putty.

--
Rusty
Old 05-01-2010, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
June Hughes wrote:

You seem all prepared for being snowed in, Sacha. I haven't oiled the
handle of the shovel but now you have said that, I shall do so. It has
only just dried out and I don't want it to rot.

Check with a knowledgeable supplier - I *THINK* you need boiled linseed
oil, which IIRC doesn't oxidise to hardness.

Anyway, raw or boiled, it is *NOT* the one used in putty.

Probably the cricket bat sort.

mark

Old 05-01-2010, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-05 20:39:12 +0000, Dave Hill said:

On 5 Jan, 19:11, "graham" wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message

ll.co.uk... On Tue, 5

Jan 2010 10:26:00 +0000, Sacha wrote:

I must admit that I'm sneakily hoping for just a bit more snow!

I think you'll get in the next 24hrs or a tad longer. 7cm of fresh
dry powder overnight just as well there was no wind or we would be
snowed in again. Several of the roads out are closed again or 4WD
only.

Only -3.8C last night, mild. *B-)

Hmmmm! *That's shirtsleeve weather!
Graham

You sleep in your shirt ?
Don't say it folks........................ It's a night shirt ......
Boom Boom!

Last night was down to 29f and today was up to 40f with around 1 hours
snow at 10 ish this morning, about an inch of it.
I don't thin this cold will have done much for the dahlias I left in.
Typical
David Hill

We have a thin snow cover here tonight and it's v. cold. We'll see
what the morning brings!
--
Sacha

Old 06-01-2010, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote ...

"Sacha" wrote It went to -6C here last night and it even snowed this
morning. We had
the most wonderful fluorescent orange sunrise this morning - I thought
someone was training a brilliantly coloured lamp on the corner of one of
the greenhouses. The sun came out for a brief while and now it's
clouding over rapidly. I must admit that I'm sneakily hoping for just a
bit more snow!

The forecast here for tonight is for a thick blanket of snow with drifts,
it's certainly snowing already but we will have to wait 'till tomorrow to
see if they got it right. Hope not, I have to drive somewhere first thing,
might have to get the 90 (Defender) out. Mind you, not much good if there
are cars abandoned everywhere.

Seems to have almost stopped now, think I'll take a walk up to the main road
before I decide about driving and which to use, car (RWD) or 4x4. Our
Council are not known for their gritting expertise!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-01-2010, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Just woke up to snow here! A good inch or so by the looks of it.
This is the first time since the mid 80's that we've had overnight
snow, which has settled so for me it's a bit of a novelty. Ah,
reading back I see that Sacha is to blame for this ;¬) It almost
takes me back to winters of my yoof when this kind of whether was the
norm and for us kids, as eagerly awaited as Christmas.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Poole wrote:

It almost
takes me back to winters of my yoof when this kind of whether was the
norm

I'm not sure weather that's correct Inglish. :-)

Regards

Alan
Old 06-01-2010, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Alan Johnson writes
Dave Poole wrote:

It almost
takes me back to winters of my yoof when this kind of whether was the
norm

I'm not sure weather that's correct Inglish. :-)

Whether the weather be wet
And whether the weather be hot
We'll weather the weather, whatever the weather
And whether we like it or not!
--
Kay
Old 06-01-2010, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Dave Poole writes
It almost takes me back to winters of my yoof when this kind of
whether was the norm and for us kids, as eagerly awaited as Christmas.

Yep! Makes me feel young again :-)
--
Kay
Old 06-01-2010, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 00:27:06 -0800 (PST), Dave Poole
wrote:

Just woke up to snow here! A good inch or so by the looks of it.
This is the first time since the mid 80's that we've had overnight
snow, which has settled so for me it's a bit of a novelty. Ah,
reading back I see that Sacha is to blame for this ;¬) It almost
takes me back to winters of my yoof when this kind of whether was the
norm and for us kids, as eagerly awaited as Christmas.

7 - 8" here in S Wales overnight.

Much more of this global warming and we'll be snowed in until Easter.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 06-01-2010, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-01-06 09:38:30 +0000, K said:

Dave Poole writes
It almost takes me back to winters of my yoof when this kind of whether
was the norm and for us kids, as eagerly awaited as Christmas.

Yep! Makes me feel young again :-)

We have real, proper snow this morning but I must admit that the grass
still pokes through here and there. I think the roads must be pretty
difficult but our heroic milkman struggled through with milk and
papers. It's snowing again now and is a bit windy, which could mean
drifts in the lanes and those do cause trouble. I'm about to cut up
some cheese and bacon for the birds who are all trying to get at
something to eat.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-01-2010, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Just woke up to snow here! A good inch or so by the looks of it.
This is the first time since the mid 80's that we've had overnight
snow, which has settled so for me it's a bit of a novelty. Ah,
reading back I see that Sacha is to blame for this ;¬) It almost
takes me back to winters of my yoof when this kind of whether was the
norm and for us kids, as eagerly awaited as Christmas.

7 - 8" here in S Wales overnight.

Much more of this global warming and we'll be snowed in until Easter.

My daughter reckons she has about 5" of snow over her Chepstow garden.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Registered User

Hey there take a look at this video I made of a UNIQUE and RARE flower I saw on my way to work today. Can anybody identify it??
http://bit.ly/8pDkdb
Let me know what you think!!!
Watch it now!!

Thanks ! x
Old 06-01-2010, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

Just woke up to snow here! *A good inch or so by the looks of it.
This is the first time since the mid 80's that we've had overnight
snow, which has settled so for me it's a bit of a novelty. *Ah,
reading back I see that Sacha is to blame for this ;¬) * It almost
takes me back to winters of my yoof when this kind of whether was the
norm and for us kids, as eagerly awaited as Christmas.

7 - 8" here in S Wales overnight.

Much more of this global warming and we'll be snowed in until Easter.

My daughter reckons she has about 5" of snow over her Chepstow garden.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

There is South Wales and there is South Wales, we are almost snow
free, we had around half an inch last night after around the same
yesterday mid morning, last night the temp went down to just 30f and
is now at 38f with the sun shining.
We are around 450 ft up, looking down on the Mumbles light house
(Swansea) where the weather has been almost tropical by the standards
of what everyone else is having.
see http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/...latest_weather....
Whilst a few miles away inlant they have quite a lot of snow, and
going east to Cardiff more heavy snow.
David Hill
Old 06-01-2010, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pete C
writes

June Hughes wrote:
In message , Sacha
writes
It went to -6C here last night and it even snowed this morning. We
had the most wonderful fluorescent orange sunrise this morning - I
thought someone was training a brilliantly coloured lamp on the
corner of one of the greenhouses. The sun came out for a brief
while and now it's clouding over rapidly. I must admit that I'm
sneakily hoping for just a bit more snow!

I hope you have plenty of provisions, Sacha. My 93-year-old neighbour
died a couple of months ago and I used to have his key for the
help-line organisation (an excellent service). When he died, his
children told me I could have what I liked from the house and I
decided to have his paraffin heater. It's a really old one but has a
spare wick and has been well maintained. You don't get them like
that nowadays. I also had his wooden-handled shovel. Its handle was
all wet and soggy when I got it but it has dried out a treat. You
don't get too many of those nowadays either. I am looking forward to
putting a few seeds in the greenhouse and lighting up the heater in
February. It will remind me of him, as well as being very useful.

That's nice. Hopefully, he'll be looking down smiling

If he is, he's probably thinking 'silly old bat' but it's a nice
thought. Thanks Pete.

I have taken Sacha's advice and oiled the handle of the shovel.
--
June Hughes

Getting colder? Sacha United Kingdom 18 09-02-2005 10:02 AM
Containment in colder climates MC Bamboo 1 26-06-2004 11:07 PM
Lecture on growing Apricots in colder climates Sherwin Dubren Edible Gardening 0 25-01-2004 05:32 AM
Zone 3 or colder plants? Looking for fragrant/bright, long lasting flowers for Calgary, Alberta. Some One Gardening 9 15-07-2003 05:23 AM
chinas/teas in colder zones Gallica Roses 5 12-03-2003 12:11 AM