Old 29-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Sacha

Default Getting colder?

Do the birds know something we don't? Of all the food sources hung up for
them at the moment, the birds are going mad for the balls of fat and seed
and ignoring peanuts etc.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes
Do the birds know something we don't? Of all the food sources hung up for
them at the moment, the birds are going mad for the balls of fat and seed
and ignoring peanuts etc.

Mine tend not to go for peanuts anyway. Sunflower seeds are a more
convenient size ;-)

But we're not far from the nesting season, it's still not warm, and they
will want food with lots of 'energy' - which in bird terms is high fat.
Why go for high fat peanuts if there's even higher fat fat balls nearby?

btw, is it just me, or is everyone else getting all the posts in
duplicate atm?
--
Kay

Old 29-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Alan Holmes

wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:07:58 +0000, Kay
wrote:

btw, is it just me, or is everyone else getting all the posts in
duplicate atm?

It's just you :-)

Not quite, I get duplicates of some posts, not all though.

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

--
Martin

Old 29-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Kay contains these words:

btw, is it just me, or is everyone else getting all the posts in
duplicate atm?

It's just you

Janet

The message
from Kay contains these words:

btw, is it just me, or is everyone else getting all the posts in
duplicate atm?

It's just you

Janet

The message
from Kay contains these words:

btw, is it just me, or is everyone else getting all the posts in
duplicate atm?

It's just you

Janet

Silly! Two separate posts, not two posts in one!
--
Kay

Old 30-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Franz Heymann

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
Do the birds know something we don't? Of all the food sources hung

up for
them at the moment, the birds are going mad for the balls of fat and

seed
and ignoring peanuts etc.

My experience up in Wensleydale does not match yours.
My blackbirds are tame enough to come into the garage and climb right
into the bags of seed which I keep there.
They and the others also spend much time eating the seeds which I
throw on the drive in front of the house. They hardly ever visit the
fatty ball which hangs from a climbing Hydrangea.

Franz

Old 30-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
Do the birds know something we don't? Of all the food sources hung

up for
them at the moment, the birds are going mad for the balls of fat

and seed
and ignoring peanuts etc.

Mine tend not to go for peanuts anyway. Sunflower seeds are a more
convenient size ;-)

But we're not far from the nesting season, it's still not warm, and

they
will want food with lots of 'energy' - which in bird terms is high

fat.
Why go for high fat peanuts if there's even higher fat fat balls

nearby?

btw, is it just me, or is everyone else getting all the posts in
duplicate atm?

Not me. On the other hand about 20% of the posts don't ever reach me.
I only become aware of them by the time somebody else's reply gets
here. (And no, I don'thave any blocked senders.

Franz

Old 30-01-2005, 06:06 PM
jane

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:14:44 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

~
~"Kay" wrote in message
~ In article , Sacha
~ writes
[...]

Likewise. It's BT's wonderfully hopeless server. Most threads I
receive appear to start so I usually rewire the newsgroup settings
once a week from news.btinternet.com to freenews.netfront.net and
let it go and pick up all the missing bits/original posts. Though this
one lets *everything* through including some stuff you'd probably
rather not, at least you get to see most postings.

I then put it back to BT settings so I can send, and I have all the
reference posts.

(reminds me, I'll just do it now before sending to see how many posts
it's missed in a week)

ok 72 lost postings in 6 days... last did it on Monday 24th. Bleh.
One undecipherable (deleted) the rest proper posts.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 30-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Mike Lyle

jane wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:14:44 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

~
~"Kay" wrote in message
~ In article ,

Sacha
~ writes
[...]

Less trouble to shift to the German server: I'm a bit surprised BT
bother to have a news server of their own, and they may well decide
to follow AOL's example and scrap it if it isn't a very good one. You
can get hooked up free of charge from:
http://news.individual.net/

Mike.

Old 31-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:08:13 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Less trouble to shift to the German server: I'm a bit surprised BT
bother to have a news server of their own, and they may well decide
to follow AOL's example and scrap it if it isn't a very good one.

You
can get hooked up free of charge from:
http://news.individual.net/

Franz has been trying to without success for a couple of weeks now.

I have sent half a dozen emails to them, and have had only automated
replies.
I resubmitted an application to join and still I get only a robot
replying.

Do they perhaps keep a black book with a list of undesirable
applicants?

Franz

Old 31-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

Less trouble to shift to the German server: I'm a bit surprised

BT
bother to have a news server of their own, and they may well

decide
to follow AOL's example and scrap it if it isn't a very good

one.
You can get hooked up free of charge from:
http://news.individual.net/

Franz has been trying to without success for a couple of weeks

now.

I have sent half a dozen emails to them, and have had only

automated
replies.
I resubmitted an application to join and still I get only a robot
replying.

Do they perhaps keep a black book with a list of undesirable
applicants?

:-)

If that was true, they wouldn't have let me join.

Same he they even let me join twice!

I wonder if they're getting overloaded. They started as a hospitable
service of the Free University of Berlin, and that was probably
pretty painless; but since they got world-famous they've had to
separate the the University's own service and the news.individual one
because the traffic level was so high. I do hope they aren't going to
find it impossible to go on generously supporting us outsiders: they
must have a pretty crowded server-room by now, and I can guess what a
British Vice-Chancellor would say.

Mike.

Old 31-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

[...]

None of the VC's I have known knew much about what happened in their
central computer services. I speak as a long serving member of the
now defunct Computer Board for the Universities.

Franz

Old 01-02-2005, 01:25 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:52:17 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

I wonder if they're getting overloaded. They started as a hospitable
service of the Free University of Berlin, and that was probably
pretty painless; but since they got world-famous they've had to
separate the the University's own service and the news.individual one
because the traffic level was so high. I do hope they aren't going to
find it impossible to go on generously supporting us outsiders: they
must have a pretty crowded server-room by now, and I can guess what a
British Vice-Chancellor would say.

I have a feeling that this is a service supported by perhaps the
German government or other offical body on under a 'freedom of speech'
banner; and German university staff are Civil Servants. So the cost to
the Free University of Berlin may be quite low.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Tim Challenger

wrote:

Less trouble to shift to the German server: I'm a bit surprised BT
bother to have a news server of their own, and they may well decide
to follow AOL's example and scrap it if it isn't a very good one. You
can get hooked up free of charge from:
http://news.individual.net/

Franz has been trying to without success for a couple of weeks now.

I haven't had a reply from "individual" for over a week either.

--
Tim C.