Old 19-01-2010, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Supermarket vegetables

K wrote:
Paul Luton writes
On 18/01/2010 13:23, Broadback wrote:
Watching countryside on TV last night I was struck by the waste of
vegetables grown for supermarkets. If my Purple Sprouting broccoli was
as good as that that was plough back in I would be very happy indeed.

Much as I like the self-service aspect of supermarket vegetables, I
can see that if they put good and less-good in a box the less-good
will get left behind (and rapidly deteriorate). Not easy to have two
boxes at different prices when the check-out staff have to distinguish
them.

My own PSB will be pathetic this year - didn't have space to plant
them out early enough.

They can bag up the bad ones, in the same way that they currently bag up
and discount the old ones. But it'd have to be a big discount.

2 point from previous posts. First I used to go to a local farmers shop,
thinking that it was all local grown fresh produce. One morning I had to
go to work very early, passing the farm shop I saw a local merchant
delivering produce. Secondly as regards home cooking, it is rather like
knitting a dying practice. My daughter cooks a lot, when the (birthdays
and such) occasion calls for taking cakes to work she bakes her own to
take in. All her friends and colleagues are gob smacked, and almost
fight over them.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 19-01-2010, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 23:15:29 +0000, K wrote:

I remember seeing somewhere the statistic for food produced that ended
up being eaten. I took that together with the '1/3 wasted by the
consumer' statistic and did the sums, and it came out that half of all
food was wasted before it even got to the consumer.

There is an awful lot of waste in the western human food chain. But
You also need to be careful about what you mean by waste. Is the
"waste" all food orginally intended for human consumption but doesn't
actually make it to someones stomach. Or that, less the food that
ends up feeding livestock or being used in some otherway. "Below
standard" corn being made into ethanol for fuel etc...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 19-01-2010, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:54:57 +0000, Broadback wrote:

First I used to go to a local farmers shop, thinking that it was all
local grown fresh produce. One morning I had to go to work very early,
passing the farm shop I saw a local merchant delivering produce.

The produce may well still have been local, FSVO local. Had you been
expecting all the stuff sold by the farm shop to be grown on that
farm?

Local to me would mean grown within 50 miles and the merchants depot
being within that radius as well.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 19-01-2010, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 01:32:35 GMT, Janet Baraclough wrote:

Of course these days many people don't know how to cook, store

food or
reheat it properly.

Especially restaurants.

If they don't comply, it's not because they don't know any better.

Agreed there is loads of Food Hygiene regulations, not only does any
handling food for the public have to have done (and passed!) a basic
food hygiene course they also have to have refreshers every few
years. This still doesn't stop commercial places being the source of
food poisoning or places being shut down by the health inspectors
though.

I support the regulation of commercial business's but technically the
same regulations stop members of the WI, Brownies etc, (for example)
making jam, cakes or WHY and selling them at a coffee morning to
raise funds. That isn't really right.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 19-01-2010, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 01:22:36 GMT, Janet Baraclough wrote:

Best befo
Edible but not at it's prime.

This one ought to scrapped, can't people tell if something has

gone
off?

It doesn't imply, gone off or dangerous; just that in some foods
the texture or taste deteriorate in longterm storage. So if you buy
frozen fish, its useful to know that its best eaten within 3 months,
After 6 months, it'll still be edible but taste worse.

But don't you already know that frozen fish might not be at it's best
after being in the freezer for 6 months? Why do you need a date to
tell you that? Not a particularly good example though fish is best
eaten as fresh a possible, like almost still flapping when it hits
the pan or bought from the boat on the quayside and eaten that day.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 19-01-2010, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:54:57 +0000, Broadback wrote:

First I used to go to a local farmers shop, thinking that it was all
local grown fresh produce. One morning I had to go to work very early,
passing the farm shop I saw a local merchant delivering produce.

The produce may well still have been local, FSVO local. Had you been
expecting all the stuff sold by the farm shop to be grown on that
farm?

Local to me would mean grown within 50 miles and the merchants depot
being within that radius as well.

That could be true, but doubtful, as the delivery van was from
Manchester 30+ miles away.

Old 19-01-2010, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:54:57 +0000, Broadback wrote:

First I used to go to a local farmers shop, thinking that it was all
local grown fresh produce. One morning I had to go to work very early,
passing the farm shop I saw a local merchant delivering produce.

The produce may well still have been local, FSVO local. Had you been
expecting all the stuff sold by the farm shop to be grown on that
farm?

Local to me would mean grown within 50 miles and the merchants depot
being within that radius as well.

That could be true, but doubtful, as the delivery van was from
Manchester 30+ miles away.

My farm shop gets spuds from 60 miles away, apples from Austria, and
pineapples from Dominican Republic. More to do with producers finding
the right size outlet for their goods than distance.
Old 19-01-2010, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stuart
Noble writes
Broadback wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:54:57 +0000, Broadback wrote:

First I used to go to a local farmers shop, thinking that it was all
local grown fresh produce. One morning I had to go to work very early,
passing the farm shop I saw a local merchant delivering produce.

The produce may well still have been local, FSVO local. Had you been
expecting all the stuff sold by the farm shop to be grown on that
farm?

Local to me would mean grown within 50 miles and the merchants depot
being within that radius as well.

That could be true, but doubtful, as the delivery van was from
Manchester 30+ miles away.

My farm shop gets spuds from 60 miles away, apples from Austria, and
pineapples from Dominican Republic. More to do with producers finding
the right size outlet for their goods than distance.

I don't particularly like Asda - mainly because it is always so busy -
but went there on Sunday because my husband was going to buy some CD's,
so I tagged along. I noticed a van in the car park delivering chicken
and was surprised to see it was quite local (the store was Southgate and
the van's logo gave an address in Enfield). I don't know about the veg
but shall look into it after the end of January.
--
June Hughes
Old 19-01-2010, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:
In message , Stuart
Noble writes
Broadback wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Has to be good news that ASDA Southgate can do better locally than
buying from Bernard Matthews, and that their system is sophisticated
enough to incorporate local suppliers.
Old 19-01-2010, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:34:09 +0000, June Hughes wrote:

I noticed a van in the car park delivering chicken and was surprised to
see it was quite local (the store was Southgate and the van's logo gave
an address in Enfield).

Not overly surprised, most of the big supermarkets do source some of
their fresh produce fairly locally. Most of eggs and milk in Tesco,
Carlisle has a branded Scottish orgin, same for some of the veg,
potatoes and carrots spring to mind.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 19-01-2010, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stuart
Noble writes
June Hughes wrote:
In message , Stuart
Noble writes
Broadback wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

I don't know how far it extends. They don't stock a lot of unusual
stuff (eg truffles in jars or good quality chocolate) but they do have a
large variety of Asian and Italian ingredients.
--
June Hughes
Old 19-01-2010, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:34:09 +0000, June Hughes wrote:

I noticed a van in the car park delivering chicken and was surprised to
see it was quite local (the store was Southgate and the van's logo gave
an address in Enfield).

Not overly surprised, most of the big supermarkets do source some of
their fresh produce fairly locally. Most of eggs and milk in Tesco,
Carlisle has a branded Scottish orgin, same for some of the veg,
potatoes and carrots spring to mind.

Carlisle as in Cumbria? If that is where you mean, I used to love their
indoor market. Is it still there and are there still the lovely fresh
produce stalls there, please?
--
June Hughes
Old 19-01-2010, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:34:09 +0000, June Hughes wrote:

I noticed a van in the car park delivering chicken and was surprised to
see it was quite local (the store was Southgate and the van's logo gave
an address in Enfield).

Not overly surprised, most of the big supermarkets do source some of
their fresh produce fairly locally. Most of eggs and milk in Tesco,
Carlisle has a branded Scottish orgin, same for some of the veg,
potatoes and carrots spring to mind.

Carlisle as in Cumbria? If that is where you mean, I used to love their
indoor market. Is it still there and are there still the lovely fresh
produce stalls there, please?
--
June Hughes

Good place to buy haggis too, as I recall (I know, not a vegetable)
:-)
R.

Old 19-01-2010, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ragnar" wrote in message

[...]

Do you haggle for haggis?

Old 19-01-2010, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Zhang Dawei" wrote in message
Ragnar wrote:

Good place to buy haggis too, as I recall (I know, not a vegetable)
:-)

No, it is a wild animal, with legs on one side shorter than on the
other, thus allowing it to go sideways on hills and mountains with
ease. Some friends of mine used to regularly go out haggis hunting
when it was in season armed only with bagpipes, potatoes and neeps.
--

You failed to add that the rare 'Anti Clockwise Haggis' i.e. those which run
round the hills and mountain in an anti clockwise direction and have shorter

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk