Old 23-01-2010, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wild garlic

I would like to establish a biggish area of wild garlic, what would be the
best thing to do, use plants or bulbs

kate

Old 23-01-2010, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Kate Morgan writes
I would like to establish a biggish area of wild garlic, what would be
the best thing to do, use plants or bulbs

Do you mean, plant while they're growing or plant while they're dormant?

I've never tried planting them, though I have tried moving a few plants.
My observations are a) they grow very deep, from memory more than 6
inches down b) they're keen self-seeders, so you wouldn't need to plant
them very densely.
--
Kay
Old 23-01-2010, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Kate Morgan writes
I would like to establish a biggish area of wild garlic, what would be the
best thing to do, use plants or bulbs

Do you mean, plant while they're growing or plant while they're dormant?

I've never tried planting them, though I have tried moving a few plants.
My observations are a) they grow very deep, from memory more than 6 inches
down b) they're keen self-seeders, so you wouldn't need to plant them very
densely.
--
Kay

Allium Ursinum (wild garlic) certainly spreads like mad and soon we'll be
able to detect it'ss distinctive scent especially alongside waterways, river
banks and the like. I don't know about propagating it, but I would have
thought bulbs would be the answer.

Does anyone have any recipes in which wild garlic can be used to advantage:
I dod oncespoke to a chef, asking what I could put wild garlic in - he said
"The compost heap" .

Bill

Old 23-01-2010, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kate Morgan wrote:
I would like to establish a biggish area of wild garlic, what would be
the best thing to do, use plants or bulbs

Eiher, but remember that slugs and snails *LOVE* ramsons.

Plant a few bulbs and assuming you can keep the mollusca off them as the
seeds ripen, they'll be everywhere in no time at all.

--
Rusty
Old 23-01-2010, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bill Grey wrote:
"K" wrote in message
Kate Morgan writes
[...]

He wasn't a chef, then.

Whatever you'd use chives for, but more so. Casseroles, adding leaves
and/or bulbs (sparingly) to stir-fry, placing inside an onion inside a
chicken when you roast it - the uses are endless, and IMO, much nicer
than garlic.

(Not really wild garlic - a different species.)

--
Rusty

Old 24-01-2010, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:
I would like to establish a biggish area of wild garlic, what would be
the best thing to do, use plants or bulbs

Eiher, but remember that slugs and snails *LOVE* ramsons.

Plant a few bulbs and assuming you can keep the mollusca off them as the
seeds ripen, they'll be everywhere in no time at all.

--
Rusty

Thank you everyone, I already use Comfrey as ground cover and thought that
Wild Garlic would be as quick, from what I am told that would be right.

kate

Old 24-01-2010, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rusty Hinge writes
Kate Morgan wrote:
I would like to establish a biggish area of wild garlic, what would
be the best thing to do, use plants or bulbs

Eiher, but remember that slugs and snails *LOVE* ramsons.

My entire gardening is based around avoiding plants which are slug food.
But I have no problem at all with snails on wild garlic.

--
Kay
Old 24-01-2010, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 2010-01-24 10:47:11 +0000, K said:

Rusty Hinge writes
Kate Morgan wrote:
I would like to establish a biggish area of wild garlic, what would
the best thing to do, use plants or bulbs
Eiher, but remember that slugs and snails *LOVE* ramsons.

My entire gardening is based around avoiding plants which are slug
food. But I have no problem at all with snails on wild garlic.

Saves time in the kitchen, eh Kay?? ;-))

You know I didn't mean that!

I just have never found wild garlic to be damaged by snails or slugs.
--
Kay
Old 24-01-2010, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Kate Morgan writes
I would like to establish a biggish area of wild garlic, what would be the
best thing to do, use plants or bulbs

Do you mean, plant while they're growing or plant while they're dormant?

I've never tried planting them, though I have tried moving a few plants.
My observations are a) they grow very deep, from memory more than 6 inches
down b) they're keen self-seeders, so you wouldn't need to plant them very
densely.
--

I desperately want some for what I call "my wood"
It's not exactly that, but a 50 yard patch at the bottom of my garden

Old 24-01-2010, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes

Sacha writes
On 2010-01-24 10:47:11 +0000, K said:

Rusty Hinge writes
Kate Morgan wrote:
I would like to establish a biggish area of wild garlic, what
would the best thing to do, use plants or bulbs
Eiher, but remember that slugs and snails *LOVE* ramsons.
My entire gardening is based around avoiding plants which are slug
food. But I have no problem at all with snails on wild garlic.
Saves time in the kitchen, eh Kay?? ;-))

You know I didn't mean that!
I just have never found wild garlic to be damaged by snails or
slugs.

Well, I've tried snails and couldn't stand 'em, so I'm surprised rather
than not, when other people do.

So far we've had one person who hasn't had a problem and one person who
has, I think. I'm surprised that Rusty reports a problem, given that the
ramsons in our nature reserve are in beautiful condition, and also in my
own garden, which in other respects has a very severe snail and slug
problem.
--
Kay

Old 24-01-2010, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Bill Grey wrote:
"K" wrote in message
Kate Morgan writes
[...]

Well a sarcastic one not wanting to give away his secrets :-)

Whatever you'd use chives for, but more so. Casseroles, adding leaves
and/or bulbs (sparingly) to stir-fry, placing inside an onion inside a
chicken when you roast it - the uses are endless, and IMO, much nicer than
garlic.

I like a leaf or two with ham in a sandwich.

Bill

Old 24-01-2010, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

I don't know who wrote

Does anyone have any recipes in which wild garlic can be used to
advantage:

Someone gave me an excellent soup made with young nettles, ramsons
and potato.

Janet

On my server your post follows mine. so it was I.

Bill

Old 29-01-2010, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
"K" wrote in message
Kate Morgan writes
I would like to establish a biggish area of wild garlic, what would be the
best thing to do, use plants or bulbs

Do you mean, plant while they're growing or plant while they're dormant?

I've never tried planting them, though I have tried moving a few plants.
My observations are a) they grow very deep, from memory more than 6 inches
down b) they're keen self-seeders, so you wouldn't need to plant them very
densely.
--

I desperately want some for what I call "my wood"
It's not exactly that, but a 50 yard patch at the bottom of my garden
colonised by trees. I've planted it with snowdrops, violets, primroses and
sweet cecily and stuff but I'd love some ramsons, where do you get them
from?

I've saved some seeds, but I also saved some chive seeds and I don't
know which is which, but I've looked, and I'm not sure where either
packet is.

I'll have some more this summer, otherwise, try Chiltern Seeds.

--
Rusty
Old 29-01-2010, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes
On 2010-01-24 10:47:11 +0000, K sai

My entire gardening is based around avoiding plants which are slug
food. But I have no problem at all with snails on wild garlic.

Saves time in the kitchen, eh Kay?? ;-))

You know I didn't mean that!

I just have never found wild garlic to be damaged by snails or slugs.

And they ate all the ones planted in the ground - didn't find the ones
in the planter, though.

--
Rusty

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Wild Garlic Jon United Kingdom 102 13-05-2003 09:56 PM
Wild Garlic and back to bluebells non-scripta Hussein M. United Kingdom 2 09-05-2003 06:46 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
wild garlic/onion. Terry Lynton United Kingdom 2 17-11-2002 02:09 AM