Old 25-02-2010, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bluebells again

I went and had a peep at the back garden today to see whether the
rhubarb was popping up yet and noticed about 6 million bluebells. I'd
dug bagfulls of them up last year but still they come!
--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 25-02-2010, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
I went and had a peep at the back garden today to see whether the
rhubarb was popping up yet and noticed about 6 million bluebells. I'd
dug bagfulls of them up last year but still they come!

Are they of the Spanish variety? I can't get rid of mine either (planted by
previous resident)
They're worse than potatoes for popping up again if you leave even one.
I want only proper English bluebells here in my wood but they would be
impossible to establish if I can't get rid of the Spanish ones first.
It's not that they aren't attractive but I want everything in there to be
native plants.
Tina

Old 26-02-2010, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 21:21:45 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
.. .
I went and had a peep at the back garden today to see whether the
rhubarb was popping up yet and noticed about 6 million bluebells. I'd
dug bagfulls of them up last year but still they come!

Are they of the Spanish variety? I can't get rid of mine either (planted by
previous resident)
They're worse than potatoes for popping up again if you leave even one.
I want only proper English bluebells here in my wood but they would be
impossible to establish if I can't get rid of the Spanish ones first.
It's not that they aren't attractive but I want everything in there to be
native plants.
Tina

Yup Spanish monsters. I will have to have another go at removing some
this year ... but my efforts just seemed to give them more room to
expand.
I'm nearly out of immediate neighbours for them (Have given away tons
over the last few years) so it'll be freecycle this year for them.

They do look nice in flower though, its a small consolation.
Old 26-02-2010, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 21:21:45 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

If you really want to get rid of them, then harden your heart and treat the
foliage with weed killer.
Remember, a weed is just a plant in the wrong place.

Old 28-02-2010, 07:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25 Feb, 05:57, mogga wrote:
I went and had a peep at the back garden today to see whether the
rhubarb was popping up yet and noticed about 6 million bluebells. I'd
dug bagfulls of them up last year but still they come!
--http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.ukhttp://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Well, I'm ready to take any bluebells of any variety that you don't
want and consider a weed. Here in West Tennessee where I've
moved, there seems to be no kinds of any. I know how to keep things
from taking over or forcing natives out. And I only have half an acre
to play around with. If you'd like to send a box of the tubers, I'd
love it. I've looked at the images of both English and Spanish
bluebells, and I see there is a difference. I'd suspect they'd not
spread like wildfire here. If you're feeling generous, I'd love to
give some a good home. It is a wee bit moist here, though. If you're
up for it, ask Sasha for my address and she'll give it to you. Or
holler at me. For those ready to flame me for taking an "invasive"
plant.....I grew purple loosestrife just fine within less than five
miles of a large lake with no ill effects. Once I discovered I'd
accidentally introduced common spurge to my yard, I totally
erradicated it from the almost acre of land I gardened on. I couldn't
say the same for the Japanese wild honeysuckle, common privet that
choked my woods where Old Faerie Holler were. The introduction of
just those two plants has taught me serious gardening steward
responsibilites. If these Spanish bluebells draw honeybees, then I'm
definately all for a few to beg from you. Even my introduction of
vinca major "periwinkle" didn't get a toe-hold up there in spite of
the apparent overtaking of it. The two and a half year drought was the
end of the 13 year rein and after I left the ridge, I went back and
found it had gone too. So please don't flame me. I am very
considerate of invasives, but sometimes grow them with a firm hand.

madgardener (maddie) over in Western Tennessee waiting impatiently for
Spring with just a few snowdrops, a handful of muscari and a few white
Dutch crocus poking out of the leaves

Bluebells Plant Thieves Tarzan United Kingdom 5 11-04-2005 09:37 PM
English bluebells jane United Kingdom 24 09-05-2003 01:08 AM
Bluebells on the lawn Fred United Kingdom 2 14-04-2003 07:08 PM
Spanish Bluebells Todd J. Gardening 6 28-03-2003 07:32 PM