Old 28-03-2010, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moving a clemaitis

I have to have several fence panels replaced. I have a clematis
cirrhosa, in full flower, on one panel, which I can detach from the
fence. It is growing in a pot, but has now rooted down into the
ground, and the pot is immovable.
Can I cut through the root below the pot? Would it survive? I would
then replant it in the soil. I don't know how much root is in the pot
and how much is below.

I could smash the pot (shame) and try to dig up some roots. Would
that give it more chance?

Afdvice please. It's doing rather well now. Has been there for about
5 years but restricted growth until it rooted out of the pot.

Pam in Bristol
Old 28-03-2010, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
I have to have several fence panels replaced. I have a clematis
cirrhosa, in full flower, on one panel, which I can detach from the
fence. It is growing in a pot, but has now rooted down into the
ground, and the pot is immovable.
Can I cut through the root below the pot? Would it survive? I would
then replant it in the soil. I don't know how much root is in the pot
and how much is below.

Hum. If the rooting-through is fairly recent, you should be able to
loosen the roots with a fork and pull the whole lot up.

Whether you could then ease the roots through the holes in the bottom of
the pot is less likely to be easy/possible.

I could smash the pot (shame) and try to dig up some roots. Would
that give it more chance?

Yes. IME clematis clings on to life rather tenaciously. However, just
for the sake of belt and braces, cut some old wood into lengths of 2
nodes - ====O===========O==== like that, and bury them horizontally in a
couple of inches of soil, in a damp place, or somewhere where you won't
forget to keep them watered.

You *SHOULD* get a new vine growing from each node.

Afdvice please. It's doing rather well now. Has been there for about
5 years but restricted growth until it rooted out of the pot.

I fear you might have to break the pot - or plant a cutting as described
above, and trim the roots off the bottom of the pot. You can then keep
the original vine potted, or turn it out of the pot and hope you haven't
cut off too much root.

--
Rusty
Old 28-03-2010, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pam Moore wrote:
I have to have several fence panels replaced. I have a clematis
cirrhosa, in full flower,

Blimey, it's in full flower already??!
Old 28-03-2010, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Mar 2010 20:49:53 GMT, wrote:

Pam Moore wrote:
I have to have several fence panels replaced. I have a clematis
cirrhosa, in full flower,

Blimey, it's in full flower already??!

C Cirrhosa is winter-flowering, and evergreen.

Pam in Bristol
Old 28-03-2010, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:13:28 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wrote:

Pam Moore wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that idea Rusty. I've tried and failed so many times with
clematis cuttings but not cirrhosa, or the method you suggest.
I think I must try to get as much root up as possible and maybe
sacrifice the pot, which is only a cheap one.
Ta

Pam in Bristol

Old 28-03-2010, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pam Moore wrote:
I have to have several fence panels replaced. I have a clematis
cirrhosa, in full flower,

Blimey, it's in full flower already??!

C Cirrhosa is winter-flowering, and evergreen.

Interesting. I may have to find me one!
Thank you.
Old 29-03-2010, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
It's one of the winter flowering ones. They look good on a fence
especially if then trained along the fence so that you see the flowers
at your head height. Otherwise they seem to head for the sky and you
almost need binoculars to see the flowers!

*nod* We have various clematis fighting with a hop along our back garden
fence (I think it's 3 clematis, 1 hop and a grape, and the hop always wins
by quite a long way!) - including the 2008 Rebecca clematis, which we were a
bit disappointed with given all its hype. The flowers are the right colour
and very pretty, but not very many of them!

Perhaps a winter flowering clematis could go in to give a bit of interest
during the cold months, when the back garden turns kind of muddy green ...
Old 29-03-2010, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Mar 2010 22:11:21 GMT, wrote:

Pam Moore wrote:
I have to have several fence panels replaced. I have a clematis
cirrhosa, in full flower,
Blimey, it's in full flower already??!

C Cirrhosa is winter-flowering, and evergreen.

Interesting. I may have to find me one!
Thank you.

There are some C. cirrhosa which are scented, but I've not managed to
get one. Some years ago I took myself to Wisley in the few days after
Christmas. It was misty. As I went up the steps through the rockery
to the Alpine house a wonderful scent hit me. It was a cirrhosa in
bloom around the base of the big oak tree. Is it still there? I
can't get to Wisley now. Anyone know what variety it is?

Pam in Bristol
Old 29-03-2010, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message

I have to have several fence panels replaced. I have a clematis
cirrhosa, in full flower, on one panel, which I can detach from the
fence. It is growing in a pot, but has now rooted down into the
ground, and the pot is immovable.
Can I cut through the root below the pot? Would it survive? I would
then replant it in the soil. I don't know how much root is in the pot
and how much is below.

I could smash the pot (shame) and try to dig up some roots. Would
that give it more chance?

Afdvice please. It's doing rather well now. Has been there for about
5 years but restricted growth until it rooted out of the pot.

Possibly you could just decide to sacrifice the current flowers and cut the
clematis right back.
You could then remove the roots below the pot, remove the clematis from the
pot and replant.
Without the drain of a lot of foliage it should soon recover and flourish in
the new location.
Even transplanting with all the roots if you sacrifice the pot is likely to
set it back quite a bit so I would expect you to reduce the foliage
significantly.

Old 29-03-2010, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message

I have to have several fence panels replaced. I have a clematis
cirrhosa, in full flower, on one panel, which I can detach from the
fence. It is growing in a pot, but has now rooted down into the
ground, and the pot is immovable.
Can I cut through the root below the pot? Would it survive? I would
then replant it in the soil. I don't know how much root is in the pot
and how much is below.

I could smash the pot (shame) and try to dig up some roots. Would
that give it more chance?

Afdvice please. It's doing rather well now. Has been there for about
5 years but restricted growth until it rooted out of the pot.

Pam in Bristol

Just about the worse time to move a C. cirrhosa!

Soak the pot well, and the soil under it. If you have to smash the pot to
to get the roots out, do it (sometimes you can get a well-rooted plant out
of a pot by using a water jet from a hose to wash away the soil until the
roots go limp). Dig out as much root from under the pot as you can.

Dig a large hole and put the clematis in. Unlike many deciduous clematis,
as far as I know cirrhosa does not suffer from clematis wilt, so you do not
have to plant it deeply. Just put it in and fill with soil so that the
surface level is the same as that when it was in the pot.

Water well, and hope for the best. It might well drop all its flowers, but
with a little luck should recover well to grow back through the late spring
and summer.

--

Jeff

Old 30-03-2010, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:57:59 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks for that idea David. I'll remember it as a last resort. It is
well trained on a separate piece of trellis which I hope I can move.
It's taken about 5 years to achieve this amount of growth.

Pam in Bristol
Old 30-03-2010, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:20:02 +0100, "Jeff Layman"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks Jeff. Good advice!

Pam in Bristol
Old 30-03-2010, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:36:33 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I have to have several fence panels replaced. I have a clematis
cirrhosa, in full flower, on one panel, which I can detach from the
fence. It is growing in a pot, but has now rooted down into the
ground, and the pot is immovable.
Can I cut through the root below the pot? Would it survive? I would
then replant it in the soil. I don't know how much root is in the pot
and how much is below.

I could smash the pot (shame) and try to dig up some roots. Would
that give it more chance?

Afdvice please. It's doing rather well now. Has been there for about
5 years but restricted growth until it rooted out of the pot.

Pam in Bristol

If you reduce the top growth a lot it will move fine in the pot with the
roots cut through, dont dig it up having smashed the pot as they don't
move that well although this is not a bad time as they are about to start
into growth.
Cutting it back now you should be fine for flowers next year

Thanks for your encouragement Charlie.
Pam

Pam in Bristol